When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First build complete ...

Mike_G

... Well it looks complete. This is my 16600 Sea Dweller rep. I got the case, dial and hand set from Yuki. I'm disappointed with the print quality on the dial, but figure I can upgrade later. The movement is a Seagull 2836 clone that I bought from eBay. The bracelet came from TC. 

The reason it only "looks" complete  is because the movement is "f'd up" a bit. First, it seems to stop periodically. Second, the minute hand isn't advancing and finally I can't set it and the stem won't lock in because the part below fell out. (Including photos of watch as well. 

I know I can upgrade the movement too, but this one is brand new and I'd like to get at least a year's use out of it. Also the seller is in China and I figure it'll be a PIA to send back so I'm hoping I can fix this .

Anyone know the name of this part and whether I have a simple fix or a major headache on my hands?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Mike_G
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, highoeyazmuhudee said:

that movement part looks like the dial foot clip. i guess if you had to choose any movement part to fall off that would be it.

This. 

Does the stem come right out? Can you set the hour and date? 

Congrats on first build. Looks great. Sounds about right, totally nonfunctional. I destroyed mine. 

It gets easier. With more practice. 

Guys will chime in and get it sorted out. Hopefully it's simple. 

was the stem part of yukis kit? (Pre attached to the crown?)

I'm able to set time counter clockwise but not clockwise. Second hand moves but minute and hour hands not advancing. The stem comes right out. This is the stem that came with the movement. 

The movement was working at first. Stem was secure, I could set the time, hands advanced etc. 

Stem too long for case. So I was using a trial and error method of cutting the stem to size, nipping off just a little at a time until I could get the crown to screw down. 

At a point I noticed the stem not locking into place. This is when I noticed the other issues and noticed that the dial foot clamp had fallen off. 

If anyone knows of a fix or even a tutorial I could look at that would be a huge help. I could take it to a watchmaker but I'm pretty sure it would be more economical to just replace the movement.

http://youtu.be/qtgAJBPPefM  at minute 13:15 it's all keyless works.

To be clear, I'm not saying decase and head into the keyless works. The video is more for reference and a visual of what's going on behind the scenes. 

Just take the case back off. 

You've obviously figured out how to remove the stem by pressing down on the back side (button) of the  return bar** chime in if its the setting lever. 

Sometimes I press (gently) on that button that releases the stem. But instead of sliding -out- the stem see if you can push it in a little further. Might take a little gentle effort. 

Key here is to get the stem correctly in place. It might need that push. I use a 1mm screwdriver on the button. Anything smaller and you could possibly drive it all the way through totally jacking up the keyless works (Gentle). Then with pressure on the button use good tweezers to assist in sliding the stem toward / into the movement. (Gentle). You've got it when it stays in and clicks three times. (Video) 

Good luck

The picture is a foot retainer. It just pops on. I would throw that movement away and get a chinese clone of the 2836. I've had nothing but problems with those movements. Probably what happened when you took the stem out, is you pressed the button down to far. That button is on the bottom of the set lever. When the set lever get's pushed to far up, it allows the yoke to slip out of place. DO NOT keep pulling on the stem, because you may bend the yoke corrector. Take the movement out, remove the bridge over the hour wheel, the remove the retainer over the keyless assy. You will probably see the yoke out of place. It sits in the groove over the clutch. Put it back over it, reinstall the keyless cover. When you do, at the top of that cover you will see a piece of metal that looks spring loaded. It is. Snug the screw that holds the keyless works, the push that piece of metal over the small tab that you see. That's the top of the yoke. Then tighten the screw and put it back together. Hopefully it works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mymanmatt said:

I would throw that movement away and get a chinese clone of the 2836.

The seller on the auction site advertised this as a seagull clone of the 2836. I'll probably consider this an expensive lesson and get another movement. I'll still try to repair this one myself. It'll be good practice ;-)

Thanks for the responses

It will be good practice. The keyless works really is not hard to do. Of course the first time it can be confusing, since you've never seen one before. When you take it apart, look at the piece that has the pin you pushed to release the stem. You will see it's up off the yoke corrector. Sometimes, you can manually push the set lever in, and everything will reset itself. When you have the movement out of the watch, look where the stem goes in, you will see the set lever all the way out. Put the stem in and then push the set lever in all the way and see if that fixes it. I use a small screwdriver to push it in. Before you do that, push the set lever down. That will reset the yoke corrector. Ive done hundreds and still push the pin to far sometimes.