When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on the Tudor Chrono Heritage Blue

tframo

I think it's great looking. A little in your face with all the blue. I had not noticed that they added a date to this one. The crystal doesn't look standard on the one you show though, I don't think it has a mag cyclops from the factory. Not sure about the movement either. After writing this I realized I am not much help :lol: Sorry

T,

That's a nice looking watch. I have had such dismal bad luck with AP ROO's with the sec@12 mod, I'm really, really gun shy about any of these "modified" a7750 movements. If this is a gen with a purpose made movement, then that's a different story. I would expect that that the ETA 7750 with the DD module would be as reliable as the similar one that makes up the LWO 283. Just read a bit  nd it looks like at the onset these were selling fast, but were getting flipped at a pretty good pace as well.

Guys sorry if this is a dumb question but what am I missing here? I thought the Heritage Chromo was not available except for a quartz version. And the Heritage Chrono also has no cyclops on the date. Only the old Monte Carlo had that. 

This is the gen.  I've been looking at them for a while.  You can pick up a good used one for around $2500.  

It's a modified eta with a date at 6 configuration from the factory.  I forget exactly the movement name But I know it's not a eta7750 

It's an  ETA 2892 movement with a Dupuis Depraz chrono module . This module moves the seconds @9 to seconds @3.  The module is to move the seconds counter and add a 45 minute totalizer, nothing to do with the date.  What is weird, I  looked at some of these on the web, and all the ones I saw didn't have the cyclops. The Monte Carlos which this watch is attributed to had a cyclops, but the one you have pictured is the first of the modern version with a cyclops.

It's an ETA 2892 (non chrono) with a DD 2054 chronograph module added on.

Here is some info from TRF:

"The Eta 2892 is a perfect normal, low profile, automatic high beat movement but not a chronograph.

On top op this movement there's a extra plate with a chronograph parts placed on it.
This is a completely different idea of a chronograph movement in comparisson to a 7750 or the high end chronograph movements with column wheel.

The Valjoux 7750 is much more reliable as the 2892 with DD.
All the cheaper Swatch group auto Chrono's use this movement and module.

Of course the watch is assembled and QC by Rolex in their headquarters that might be the part to pull over potential buyers.

Redirecting the counters on Valjoux 775X and the date at 6 would've been virtually impossible."

Also other members are saying that the additional module is very difficult to service. Most private watchmakers won't do it. Some have also said it's easier and not too costly just to replace the module ($150-$200).

I'm sure it would be fine but those are good things to know going in. If you are not dying to own one then you might want to stay away.

On 3/11/2016 at 11:43 AM, tframo said:

What are your guys thoughts on this watch?   I like the looks of the dial and have read some pretty good  reviews on the web but I'm a little worried about the movement modification done to allow it to have the date at 6

The only "modification" generally required for date at 6 is to print the numbers in a different orientation, and cut the date window into the dial in a different place. The date disc is a circle, it's there under the dial already. 99.9% of movements that come in variants with date at 3, 4:30, 6, 9, whatever are identical except for the printing on the date disc.

37 minutes ago, sneed12 said:

The only "modification" generally required for date at 6 is to print the numbers in a different orientation, and cut the date window into the dial in a different place. The date disc is a circle, it's there under the dial already. 99.9% of movements that come in variants with date at 3, 4:30, 6, 9, whatever are identical except for the printing on the date disc.

I agree for three handers, but what about chronographs? I'm not a movement guy but I'd imagine that some are restricted by the chronograph complication as to where the date can go. 

Nope. Other than the fact that there's less empty dial real estate, there's no reason why they'd be any different.

eta7750layout2011.jpg

You can put a date window at 6 o'clock on an ETA 7750 with no modifications at all, it just ends up in the hours totalizer subdial. You can put one at 4:30. You can put one at 9 if you want to, although it would be stupid looking and the running seconds would run over the window for ~20 seconds out of every minute. No mods to the movement are required.

Edited by sneed12
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

HY9L8cH.jpgI have just bought the rep version and it is indeed only Quartz.  However I CAN safely wear it as a daily beater lol.  Only thing is i'd love to lay my hands on the gen nato as the nylon ones just dont quite do it.  Especially as the gen doesnt have the extra loop but instead has spring bar tunnels especially woven into the fabric.

Edited by leodensian
insert pic