When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

100% in love W/ this Prototype Red Sub Dial

UmpaHimself

If you have ever done research on red subs or on Rolex period you have probably come across the Rolex Passion Report and probably this article: http://rolexpassionreport.com/174/evolution-of-the-red-rolex-submariner-ref-1680/

It took me a second to realize that the example he showed of an early sub was missing the chapter ring. But once I saw it I couldn't look away. Now I am obsessing over this watch. It just looks so damn clean it's amazing, and the richness of the matte texture is simply stunning. I find myself repeatedly going back to that page and drooling over... well, let's be honest, all three subs he shows are fantastic examples but that early prototype dial is something else. If I can find a reasonably priced rep or "refinished" dial with the older style spaced out text, I am going to try and finely cover the chapter ring markers with a fine tip felt artists pen like a radiograph.

Just look at this baby

1680first4.thumb.jpg.be57ece576015057b791680protofront.thumb.jpg.95c792d6a29aff6redsub1680proto.thumb.jpg.280ba1a3afd84bredsubproto1.jpg.7ce6bf070ae7045d32de5ca

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marrickvilleboy said:

clean I agree but I think diver watches need the chapter - both from a practical and cosmetic level.

Right, I'm sure they added it quickly. But I still love the look. Panerai never had much on the dial either.

That is nice! I was planning to build something vintage and ended up on the idea of the 1665 SRSD prototype.

I have been trying to get 'good' and gen parts to build this and I found a great Whoopy reprinted dial on gen plate.

Not cheap but really good and it's on gen plate!! No lume or anything has been done to it since I am having second thought at this point.....

6f795d87cf2451d63ac1cce1cc1a541b.jpg

c4993263ddb423736e3d218b15defff4.jpg

Sent from myusing Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marrickvilleboy said:

thats a good point - i've forgotten about that!

I havent read the article but assuming these chapter-less dials never made it to the people?

Actually, the way I understand it, the guy who wrote the article owns all three of those watches.

1 hour ago, cyberwarhol said:

That is nice! I was planning to build something vintage and ended up on the idea of the 1665 SRSD prototype.

I have been trying to get 'good' and gen parts to build this and I found a great Whoopy reprinted dial on gen plate.

Not cheap but really good and it's on gen plate!! No lume or anything has been done to it since I am having second thought at this point.....

Sent from myemoji336.pngusing Tapatalk emoji355.png

Wow, that is a great looking dial for sure. Would love to see how it turns out.

Wow, that is a great looking dial for sure. Would love to see how it turns out.

I have a mix bag of gen parts and am only missing a gen spec case and back. I am thinking of using Phong's but with the exchange now it is just way too $$.

I am having second thought now since a lot of money has been tied up on this project.....

I have a mix bag of gen parts and am only missing a gen spec case and back. I am thinking of using Phong's but with the exchange now it is just way too $$.

I am having second thought now since a lot of money has been tied up on this project.....

Well, you could just go for the phong bezel and a cheaper case, that's what I did.

327ac7c02e1315a3a79f57e1dfa818e8.jpg

cca6b34c0b28ff71d09b24944c059e48.jpg

Well, you could just go for the phong bezel and a cheaper case, that's what I did.

327ac7c02e1315a3a79f57e1dfa818e8.jpg

cca6b34c0b28ff71d09b24944c059e48.jpg

Nice looking single Red. What case did you use? Yuki?

I do have a gen 313-1665-0-1 bezel assy already :)

With all these 'gen' parts, phong is probably the best way to go and that's probably one of the most expensive part (other than the 1570 movement and the gen reprinted dial that I already have). And of course, unless I want a gen 7206 bracelet to go with it. Oh, and I have a sideways clasp as well.....