When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mbw Rolex 1680 back from modding

Beone21

This is none of my beeswax but imho the MBW/MBK cases are pretty close to genuine to start with. I would not have one modified but many do...and that is their business. How much they pay is also their business.

To me, this badly bent 'hobby' is meant to save $$. One way for me to save $$ is not to have a case modified that is pretty close to begin with.

My other peeve is 'aging' watches...I just wear them and they age quick enough. Btw, an artificially aged watch will hardly ever sell for as much as an unaltered example. Compare the value of an original MBW 5512/13/1680 that has been worn for a couple years with one that may be newer but with the edges ground down and intentional nicks/scratches all over it.

Restoring bevels and shaping crown guards is another story because it is one way to correct common faults, but it must be done correctly. We are lucky to have members good enough to work on bevels on high value cases and shape/weld crown guards etc and from what I have seen, these guys do better work than the 'professionals' who restore high $$ genuine watches. If you want the best job, find someone who has mastered a certain skill for a hobby, not someone who has to do it every day for a living.

• Like 1

Like I said, aside from trimming the CGs from the inside, the MBW 1680 looks exactly like this, straight from the shop in Thailand. I'm not saying the watch looks bad, I'm saying that there is no justification to charge 400$ for (mostly) invisible "mods".

For 400$ I'd expect the case to show that the watch had some history (even if it looks well taken care of) and not like someone left it in a drawer for 30 years. 

I wanted it this way, he could have made it look older. I love the nos look. But not here to defend the man, I just like his work and I love the fact that he stands by his product. Sent my watches back and forth couple of times, never had to pay extra. You also get a relume and Yuki pearl. Relume goes for 120 usd with almost every modder on these forums. So 200 or so for case work, insert aging, pearl not too bad.

Consider this, we pay 400 usd for essentially a watch that needs another 200 usd at least to make it look OK. It has the worst pearl, no bracelet and high beat movement. But that's the hobby right?

The package is 330 usd BTW not 400. And he repaired the movement as well at no extra cost.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

a277dfd223995fd93feebbb4b0cf815b.jpg

47 minutes ago, Beone21 said:

I wanted it this way, he could have made it look older. I love the nos look. But not here to defend the man, I just like his work and I love the fact that he stands by his product. Sent my watches back and forth couple of times, never had to pay extra. You also get a relume and Yuki pearl. Relume goes for 120 usd with almost every modder on these forums. So 200 or so for case work, insert aging, pearl not too bad.

Consider this, we pay 400 usd for essentially a watch that needs another 200 usd at least to make it look OK. It has the worst pearl, no bracelet and high beat movement. But that's the hobby right?

The package is 330 usd BTW not 400. And he repaired the movement as well at no extra cost.

He charged me 365 EUR, which is 411 US$ (the same price other members who got in touch with me were quoted or paid). 

I nicely pointed out some of the visible flaws  before he send the watch (gap between insert & bezel) and he still messed up. You wouldn't got to the same doctor either if you saw him scratching his butt crack before operating on you and after he forgot an instrument next to your appendix. 

You are free to spend your money as you like and with whomever you like, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to do otherwise. What I am doing though is warn people to do their homework and know that they are paying top dollar for a lot of hot air. While not perfect in terms of timeliness & communication, Neckyzips does significantly better work for a lot less money.

On another note, I can highly recommend this short tale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes

• Like 1

So you are just very disappointed, I get it. Don't get the reference though, please elaborate. Who's who in this story?

I do agree that if you spend 400 usd you should do your homework. I did, three times, ended up with RA every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to sound like a total noob but I'm outta touch... where can I buy an MBW? Case looks good enough to me after some basic mods that I can myself :-) happy days ! :-)

You have to wait te next selling from this fellow ..

http://rwg.cc/index.php?/topic/183042-Vintage-Rolex-5512-5513-5514-1680-%28Red-or-White%29/page__view__findpost__p__1459600

This popcorn is delicious.

I the same, i have also a red beer ..

I just read that thread. They sure look good. Which is a better base for a 5513 build - the new cartel or this mbw? Certainly there is a price difference, but if the stock mbw dial and hands can be used, as well as the stock crystal, then that brings the two right in line with each other.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

On 4/29/2016 at 2:42 PM, Mendota Explorer said:

I just read that thread. They sure look good. Which is a better base for a 5513 build - the new cartel or this mbw? Certainly there is a price difference, but if the stock mbw dial and hands can be used, as well as the stock crystal, then that brings the two right in line with each other.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

i'd say for the price the cartel. mbk has a marginally better case back and bezel ring. the rest (dial, movement, crystal, crown, hands) youre gonna replace anyways

• Like 1