When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which tools for general watch work... ?

jcsbomber

I'm relatively new here, so I apologize if this isn't the place to ask this...   I would love to get the groups opinion on a good "kit" (or just collection of essentials) to start working on watches.   Can someone guide me on which brand / model of tools to look at (and possible which to stay away from)?

I have several Rolex and Panerai reps now and a few have issues.  I want to be able to take the caseback off, movement out, and do basic work on the watches.   

I appreciate your time!  

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this post, I realise it's been up a while and maybe you have found answers, but in case you haven't here is what I have found. I'm not a watch smith, just a fellow noobie trying to learn.

sticky balls from eBay work pretty well for opening screw down backs and are really cheap. A good loupe is worth paying for as are good quality screwdrivers. I am buying Bergeron screwdrivers one at a time, the cheap ones work out expensive in the long run. A cocktail stick can be useful. A Bergeron dial protector is cheap, and rodico is really useful especially for sticking hands to to refit them. The refill tube from a cheap disposable pen is a cheapskate way to push hands onto the pinion without damage and will save initial outlay on a hand setting tool.

Decades ago when I was a kid messing with cars a mechanic told me to buy tools only as I need them and buy good quality rather than try to assemble a complete tool kit. It was good advice and I think the same is probably true of working on watches.