When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WTF is Replica Watch Forum?

HaydenM

Hi all,

So in my watch addicted browsing of the internet I looked up 1016 lughole and noticed some of my photos on the google image search, clicking the link it brought me to: http://www.rw-forum.com/topic/4046-finished-rolex-1016-build/
Which I then searched up and found is a direct copy of: 

So just wondering, what the hell is Rw-forum?

Thanks,
HaydenM

Nasty copy-cats and scammers. They copy our posts from rwg and the other forums and put them up there to lure new users, without even changing user names etc. The bad thing is seemingly we cannot do anything against.

Edited by Nightwatch

Maybe the mod team needs to look into this, especially if they are stealing photos. One way to prevent that is to label your photos with your forum name like Freddy does. They could probably Photoshop the name out, but it would be a lot more trouble.

Here are a couple of examples of watermarking done in Photoshop Elements If you have a smooth background, probably better to have at least some part of the watermark overlapping the  watch, if you have a busy background that would be hard to Photoshop out, then the lower right or left would be less intrusive. If I were using the top example, I would probably decrease the opacity to make it more transparent.

AP4a.thumb.jpg.b48cd41929e27806a818e4d44 

Guest ThePhilosopher
19 hours ago, panerai153 said:

Maybe the mod team needs to look into this, especially if they are stealing photos. One way to prevent that is to label your photos with your forum name like Freddy does. They could probably Photoshop the name out, but it would be a lot more trouble.

Here are a couple of examples of watermarking done in Photoshop Elements If you have a smooth background, probably better to have at least some part of the watermark overlapping the  watch, if you have a busy background that would be hard to Photoshop out, then the lower right or left would be less intrusive. If I were using the top example, I would probably decrease the opacity to make it more transparent.

I would say that both of these are still quite easy to remove for anyone with a decent grasp of Photoshop (it might take 10-20 minutes, but it could be done). While it might be fine for a copycat forum or better than nothing, it is not a real form a image protection (even less so if they aren't changing member names and people are duped into thinking everything is legit).

Edited by ThePhilosopher

I would say that both of these are still quite easy to remove for anyone with a decent grasp of Photoshop (it might take 10-20 minutes, but it could be done). While it might be fine for a copycat forum or better than nothing, it is not a real form a image protection (even less so if they aren't changing member names and people are duped into thinking everything is legit).

Being pretty much a neophyte with Photoshop, i don't know all the little ends and outs of the program. You can do amazing things with it, but it's pretty daunting for the occasional user. Do you have any other suggestions as to how one protects their photos from piracy on the internet? I know that some websites have safeguards that keep someone from copying their photos, Ofrei is one that i know of but not sure if this is possible with photos posted to a website, like RWG.

1 hour ago, panerai153 said:

Being pretty much a neophyte with Photoshop, i don't know all the little ends and outs of the program. You can do amazing things with it, but it's pretty daunting for the occasional user. Do you have any other suggestions as to how one protects their photos from piracy on the internet? I know that some websites have safeguards that keep someone from copying their photos, Ofrei is one that i know of but not sure if this is possible with photos posted to a website, like RWG.

if its on the internet it can be copied. theres no way to protect any picture. even just pressing "printscreen" will take a screenshot

Guest ThePhilosopher
12 hours ago, panerai153 said:

As was mentioned above, it cannot be done completely. There are things you can do to make it harder, but you cannot completely safeguard an image. You can do things like embed a watermark that is only visible after certain adjustments are made to reveal the watermark. You could also fill the image with tiny watermarks that are nearly invisible to the naked eye, but pop more after image adjustments are made.

I'm not too fussed about the images. They were stupid enough to link to my photobucket so I could down every image in a minute if I really was fussed but I'd prefer to keep my old thread here intact and cannot edit it anymore.

Edited by HaydenM