When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PCG 5513 Project - V1

dbane883

Hi guys,

I mentioned awhile back that I was embarking on a new project.  Well, its now ready for public criticism.

I had my heart set on building a 3,6,9 PCG sub from the early '60's.  Having first acquired a cal 1530 with the appropriate butterfly rotor, I looked for an appropriate case.  Luckily (although $$ buys one a lot of luck), I found a genuine 1962 PCG case and decided that an explorer dial is the direction i wanted to go. The watch came complete, but had a more recent cal 1530 and a very bad aftermarket dial.

Sadly, the mid case was poorly polished and the bevels were all but destroyed.  This is what it looked like when I received it.  Truly horrific:

IMG_9503_zpsktzwicud.jpgIMG_9502_zpsrd5kh0ig.jpgIMG_9501_zpseap63lsp.jpg

I can live with an unpolished case that has worn lugs, but I cannot live with a case that was recently polished poorly. As such, I proceeded to give the mid-case a complete make-over. While a NOS looking case may not be appropriate for a 1962 watch, it’s not uncommon to have the case-refreshed by professionals who know what they are doing.  If a case is going to be polished, I’d rather have one done properly that one done poorly.

After several hours of surgery and taking steps to ensure the CG’s were minimally touched, here is the end result on the mid-case.  I think it’s much more acceptable now:

IMG_0140_zpssijcnm4q.jpgIMG_0141_zpsvqsqvote.jpgIMG_0143_zpsvxwcquaj.jpg

For the dial.  There was only one choice.  Obviously he cannot be mentioned, but I decided I wanted a 3,6,9 “silvery” gilt dial, exclamation.  There are several different varieties of 5512/5513 explorer dials, but I think the one I chose suits the build.

IMG_0148_zpsu6s3xiij.jpg

The hands are still a work in progress.  While genuine, I am still seeking a set of flat hands.  The hands I’m using now were a set I had lying around.  It’s doesn’t look terrible, but I think flat hands would really finish off the project nicely.

Genuine cal 1530:

IMG_0151_zpsxrmzwyar.jpg

Caseback:

IMG_0146_zpsisridovr.jpg

Most 5513’s in the early ’60’s used 5512 stamped casebacks.  It came with the mid-case and despite the poor polishing, the case was in stellar condition.  Not corrosion whatsoever.

Complete specs:

Genuine ’62 5513 mid-case, caseback

Gen cal 1530

Gen Tropic 19 superdome

gen 5513 hands

custom redial

gen 700 twin-lock crown and tube

Gen bezel asembly

gen Uber-font “Long-5” insert (the only “kissing 50” long 5 i have ever seen)

Gen 7206 rivet bracelet with 80 endlinks

Just waiting to find the right hands, but until then, here are the semi-finished project:

IMG_0152_zpswjmxb1bc.jpgIMG_0153_zpsolswop9n.jpgIMG_0154_zpsso1ugwbv.jpgIMG_0155_zpsqxtfamby.jpgIMG_0156_zps6kxldir6.jpgIMG_0157_zpsgwspjhso.jpgIMG_0158_zpsmhkeiygb.jpg

IMG_0159_zpsx10lrgbo.jpg

Group shot:

21268b64-69ff-4755-ad4b-0755092a6c00_zps

On the wrist, the PCG 5513 feels great.  I think it’s the slender profile that makes it so comfortable.  It’s a little known fact, but the PCG cases were a tad thinner than regular CG 5513’s:

474458b4-eaf0-4a5f-98fa-a77c24ecab78_zps

I'm hoping to have a set of original flat hands soon, but until then, I will have to live with this as it is.  

61d231c8d92471073b4e90a5f406c6a2.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, hologramet said:

You are a master of lugs and bevels. Truly awesome...

Care to share how the magic is done? What tools?

That would be that kind of tool (thanks to dbane for the pic)

HDG-1VSR.jpg

PS : amazing work and awesome pics as always

Edited by djulink

Best sub ever? That chapter ring gilt exclamation dial sure looks the part and paired with a fresh bevel pcg case... Thought about a skinny 4 insert?

Skinny 4 is more period correct for a '63 build. Also, there is some controversy of the authenticity of skinny 4 inserts. I don't think there is any official Rolex pictures of that insert in any of their literature

• Like 1