When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Complete

Mike_G

Here is the 1016 build I've been agonizing over for a few months now. Not perfect but okay for now. I figure I can make improvements later. Also shown is my new Tudor Sub Clone from Josh.

1016 Specs:

JMB case

Yuki dial with yellow lume

Hands from Ric's watch repair. Relumed by me

gen ETA 2824-2

gen crown

miltat Horween leather strap from strap code

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Starting with the assumption that I know these aren't perfect and that I have a pretty thick skin Id love to hear what you would do to improve on these.

• Like 2

I don't think you need a very thick skin around here. I put my 5508 up for criticism and was suprised how kind people were. I've worn it for a few months now and kept on reading. I now see small faults nobody mentioned, though I sure they were seen. 1016 are lovely, my current one isn't anywhere near as good as yours. One thing I do know it it is difficult to get a decent hour hand. It should extend into the chapter ring. However I have seen many, many genuine 1016s online and in London dealers that have clearly had a replacement hand set at some point and have a short hour hand. 

I'm no expert but I think you have a build to be proud of. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

Okay ...a little self critique. Lume is too dark. I think I'd prefer a lighter lume, maybe more of an off white / cream. The hands look like crap. Like I said it'll do for now but I think a new set of hands and a professional relume is in my future.

See, you end up being your own harshest critic. We OCD over details. Yet the more genuine vintage pieces I see the more I realise that almost anything is correct. For a long time I've been looking at the bevels dbane883 achieves and thinking I could never do case work to that standard. Have you seen the "what 10000 buys" thread? If I screwed up that badly on a rep I would dump the case and never use it, yet it exists as a genuine. Someone thought it was okay. Same goes for mix and match parts, later crowns, dials, hands, bezels are pretty much normal.

1 hour ago, jmb said:

Turned out great!  Remember, these are 50 year old watches!

Thanks! The Hands are growing on me. I wish the lume on the markers matched a bit better

I know we are our own harshest critics, but I just cannot make myself like the lume. I'm going to bite the bullet and spend yet another $150 or so and send the dial and hands to Kent Parks at Everest. I'll repost pics in a month or so. Fingers crossed

5 hours ago, prova4 said:

sorry for asking

what is JMB case?

JMB is a member here and is also a talented machinist. Among the services he offers is a replica Rolex case totally reworked to be the best available 1016 case. It is well worth looking him up on the member search function and reading through his posts. 

2 hours ago, Sogeha said:

JMB is a member here and is also a talented machinist. Among the services he offers is a replica Rolex case totally reworked to be the best available 1016 case. It is well worth looking him up on the member search function and reading through his posts. 

+1 JMB does really good work and is easy to deal with. Very helpful as well.

8 hours ago, Triplock said:

Nice to see this, Mike. It turned out really well and looks great. I have one started myself with JMB case and 2824-2. 

Do you think you'll ever go with a steel bracelet or keep it on leather (which looks good btw)?

No plans for a steel bracelet in the near future. It's funny I prefer leather straps on the Explorer and steel bracelet on the subs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tried reluming my 1016 rep myself. Big mistake. I sent it off to Kent Park at Everest Watch works and Kent did a great job! First photo is the mess I made and the next two are of Kent's "repair"image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dutchguy2 said:

looks great, good work by Kent.

mine say hi!

63298CDA-D3C0-44F5-B272-9ECDD4259CBE_zps

Very nice .... love the lume color

13 hours ago, Triplock said:

@Mike_GReally nice lume job! Luming indices with a metal border is one thing, but lettering and indices without the border must be very tricky. I'd love to tips on doing this so I could do mine. This looks great!

My best advice ... send it to Kent Parks at Everest Watch Works. Pricey but worth it. Cost me $201 to fix my mess and relume

• 1 month later...