When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

phong case

mymanmatt

So, one of my AD's bought what he thought was a gen 16610. Turns out it was a phong case complete. Anyone have an opinion on what the case is worth. It's complete with case, caseback, bezel, insert, case tube, crown, and crystal. 

I wonder how much actual difference there is between a $1450 Phong 16610 case and a 'TC Submariner Watch Case Kit' besides the price?

Just asking.   :pimp:

With some builds the cost of a Phong case is justified while others it makes no sense. If you are building a submariner, go with TC. But if you intend to build a 1665 or 16520 then Phong is the way to go.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with Sacsah1.  I ended up going with a phong a couple of years back on my 16610 because I had ordered a case from TC and the lugs were bad and I waited another 2 months for a replacement from him and again the lugs were bad.  So at that point I ordered a case from Phong.  Just the case and case back is $1100 the whole set up with bezel and crystal is $1450.

I used phong for my 5513 and my 16800 also.  

To the OP when you say AD brought do you mean authorized Rolex Dealer?

Yes. They have several stores. The buyer in one store bought it thinking it was gen. It had a fresh 3135 gen movement and a for sure gen buckle. Gen dial, hands and crystal. Not 100% sure on the insert. After they buy watches they go to a central login department and that's when it was spotted But only after an extreme amount of checking. 

Yes. They have several stores. The buyer in one store bought it thinking it was gen. It had a fresh 3135 gen movement and a for sure gen buckle. Gen dial, hands and crystal. Not 100% sure on the insert. After they buy watches they go to a central login department and that's when it was spotted But only after an extreme amount of checking. 

With watches that are pretty much all genuine, except for the case, and it being a very high grade aftermarket like a phong, it is virtually impossible to tell if the watch is genuine or not without a lot of knowledge and really close scrutiny. Would be interesting as to how they determined that this one was not 100%?

The tip for my guy was the way phong finish's the case on the inside of the lug at the case in the corner. Rolex is a very smooth 1/2 round, phong's is slightly squared, and I mean slightly. A good comparison is a gen gold jubilee link compared to aftermarket. The gen has a rounded corner where the pin or screw goes through. The aftermarket does not.

On 15 April 2016 at 5:52 AM, sacsah1 said:

With some builds the cost of a Phong case is justified while others it makes no sense. If you are building a submariner, go with TC. But if you intend to build a 1665 or 16520 then Phong is the way to go.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Very true. I dismissed a Phong 16610 build on cost grounds. Last week I saw a genuine mid case for USD1500 and even that doesn't really work out. Put all gen parts in and you are getting really close to gen money, yet still have a bitsa. Phong only makes sense on vintage stuff IMO.

Still it is interesting to know how convincing his stuff is. Actually I am quietly pleased that his cases fail on such detailed examination. I have no desire to rip anyone off and if ever I did let go of one of my fakes I wouldn't like the buyer to be able to scam with it either. 

Very true. I dismissed a Phong 16610 build on cost grounds. Last week I saw a genuine mid case for USD1500 and even that doesn't really work out. Put all gen parts in and you are getting really close to gen money, yet still have a bitsa. Phong only makes sense on vintage stuff IMO.

Still it is interesting to know how convincing his stuff is. Actually I am quietly pleased that his cases fail on such detailed examination. I have no desire to rip anyone off and if ever I did let go of one of my fakes I wouldn't like the buyer to be able to scam with it either. 

You make a very good point. While I know the members here are above those types of scams, lots of folks aren't. The problem is, you build a "super franken" and at some point you need or have to sell it. Once it's sold, you have no control over it's destiny. It may become a treasured watch for another rep lover, but it also could fall into the hands of a scammer and next thing you know it's on EBay!!

Kind of you to say so. I'm still kind of new around here, but I don't think there is an active poster that is in it for anything other than the love of the watches. I think there are plenty of members who could buy pretty much any watch genuine if they wanted. I am fortunate enough that my budget does stretch to genuine, but I couldn't buy everything. I just saw a Ulysses Nardin for USD100. I like it a lot for that price, but not for full list gen.

i know I post a lot of rubbish really, but I'm proud to be a member here and to know a few of you personally. Like most I'm on a few genuine forums, but truth is if I ever want to really know about a genuine, I'll ask you guys, not them.

Best wishes to all,

Paul