When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1:1 AP ROO datewheel project

Legend

Guys,

I would be working with two other members to produce the correct spec datewheel for our ROO frankens and rep. Yes, we all know how ugly the JF ROO datewheels are so let's not bash it now. 
The goal is to supply accurate datewheels, literally scanned and copied from one removed from a gen I own, and then reproduced for the ETA2892 movement (franken) and A7750 movement (factory rep). 
The date font would be 1:1 and the magnified font size would be correct for both the LWO and A7750 variants. 
There would be no need for special cyclops to be used with these datewheels to achieve the correct magnification effect. The primary datewheel background color would be off white for the majority of the units and perhaps 10% in black with white numbers.
The datewheel for the divers might also be produced. 
Please stay tuned. I will add pics as I go along. 

25/4
Progress update 1: 
Scans of gen datewheel done and produced in different colors/backgrounds

8d5e927c482671e5df9771a9a61b59df.jpg

Update 2 May 2016: Transposing of the AP date fonts onto images of ETA datewheels and adjustments made for size, position and spacing completed. Vector image produced.

331132efe9ef2ca62119d6fde52369db.jpg

Next update: To produce a prototype Omega datewheel on an ETA datewheel and do the necessary adjustment for size, spacing and positions 

• Like 7

A, you just keep raising the bar!!! I think I will just send you all my AP's and let you keep them until every mod possible is done!!!

My friend, you are doing a great service for all of the AP folks out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Update 1: The scans of the genuine AP ROO datewheel has been completed. We will transfer the numbers to a datewheel scan, adjust the positioning of each day and release an image of the new datewheel.

Update 2 May 2016

My capable partner has managed to transpose the AP fonts onto the datewheel image, and size have been adjusted. The next step would be to do a test print based on the vector file and do a further size/space adjustment if necessary. 
We have taken care that the font and inter-numerical space accuracy as well as the size vs gen. As mentioned we want the datewheel to work with a normal LWO/rep A7750 cyclop and give the correct magnification vs gen (franken) and a very good magnification for the A7750 variants. 

I hereby present, the Omega datewheel, named for our intention for the production to be the final word for ROO datewheels in the hobby. 

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com

• Like 2

Why thank you sir.

But under the AP ROO datewheel rationing act section 1 chapter 3, you may buy a maximum of one lol

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow...o....Wow!

Will you be offering this fine new date wheel in combination with the Tissot Powermatic 21,600 swap on AP ROO divers?

Simply, that would be the ultimate build. Low beat with spot on date wheel!

Count me in for at least one unit!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, paristoto said:

+4 for me. Great work.

Do you know if the DW fonts are the same for 15XXX and ROO?

Hey bro, yes its the same date font, with two variations (serif and sans serif) like before. 

I will be releasing pics of the first prototype batch soon. The main thing is to check each date on the wheel for correctness. 

It has been an onerous and long journey!