When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look What The Postman Brought Me Today!

Highflyingclive

I unwrapped this about fifteen minutes ago... so here are some hastily taken photos of the latest addition to Joshua's B&R range - the 46mm PVD!

Wow!

177286-8110.jpg

177286-8111.jpg

177286-8112.jpg

177286-8113.jpg

177286-8114.jpg

First impressions?

Wow! Wow!

OK, calm down, Clive.

First... it is big, of course. But not too big. I have been waiting for the PVD version because, being a shy, retiring type, I thought it would be slightly less in your face than the SS model. Even so, and despite the PVD finish, this isn't a "stealth watch". I think that this one may get a lot of attention...

It goes without saying that this is a highly readable watch ... those bold white hands and markers stand out from the PVD like nothing else. And in the dark, the Superlume glows like a torch.

The strap is, without doubt, the best that I have ever received on a rep and the Swiss 2892-2 movement provides a very smooth sweep to the second hand. The printing on the dial, even viewed through a loupe, is crisp and opaque... even on the tiny "Swiss Made" below the 6 o'clock marker. That can't be easy to achieve on a black dial.

If you get the impression that I am having difficulty finding fault with this watch... well, you'd be right. About the only thing that I would like to see changed is the finish on the buckle - It appears to be brushed, rather than bead-blasted giving it a slightly glossier appearance than the case. A minor, very minor point... nothing to lose sleep over.

Even the much discussed dummy (engraved) caseback screws look less obvious now that the back of the watch is black.

Detail touches abound. The crown is beautifully knurled and displays the B&R logo in gloss black against a matt background - I imagine that the logo was first polished, then masked during the bead-blasting process, prior to receiving the PVD treatment. The four casefront screws (the movement come out of the front of the watch) are gloss black, as are the four smaller dial screws, providing a point of interest and contrast against the otherwise unrelieved matt black.

O.K. I have been wearing the watch for about half an hour, now... and despite its size, i'm not really aware of it on my wrist, despite it weighing in at nearly 140 grams. I think that the broad, tapering strap is spreading the load, making this a surprising comfortable watch to wear.

For a comparison, my 44mm Pam 029 weighs 105 grams, whilst Chronozilla, the monstrous and very scary Pam 187, weighs 203 grams.

If Hollywood ever gets around to making Men In Black 3 ... forget that silly little triangular Hamilton... this is the watch that Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith should be wearing!

Now this is a good reason to be jolly :thumbsupsmileyanim: you must be quite pleased with that B&R. It is classy. I like the black dial and no frills. That design is a must for any serious collector of watches. Now all you need is a drink and some...smoke a cigar or a pipe and the day will be perfect :winkiss:

Happy timekeeping

Gunnar aka gran :)

I"m sure it would look just fine on a 6 1/2" wrist @mikellem. As with the IWC ports & jones, although big, they are flat so it doesn't feel or look as big on your wrist as a tall case. Also, Clive's excellent choice of the PVD version, the massive look melts away into the all black darkness, the SS would just appear bigger in my opinion and call attention to how much bigger on your wrist. Again, wear it well Clive and congrats.