When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

fixing Rolex spec dials to fit on DG or ETA movements

rolojack

A clean mount is an achievement I am always after. A few excellent dials have been made with ETA feet plates, but too little and too scarce... Clipping feet on a rolex specs dial is a heart breaker, and glue or adhesive pads is not giving a good feeling at all. Mostly when you know you will take the watch appart a dozen time ! That's me... But I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anyways, I figured I should make a all in one dial spacer/new feet to epoxy fix on a dial plate for a perfect and super clean mount. I used RT dials I hollowed to create the part I was after. Pics are blurry but it gives an idea. See below.

First you see a RT dial untouched besides one I tranformed. I kept both DG and ETA feet at first. If you break one of 4 in the process, it can always be used for the other type.... ;)

Then on a DG you see how the new spacer with feet must fit outside the date wheel when placed on the movement.

To finish, when the ring is permanently fixed to the plate, I spray some black paint for a nice look and I varnish the overall so it does not oxydate.

On the DG, the dial thickness is about 1/2 of the original spacing ring. So you need to slim the spacing ring by half to reach the original space.

---

After is an ETA built without date. It is easier to make as the spacing ring can be up to the inner diameter of the date wheel. Only the center part needs some space to work correctly and no extra ring is necessary.

P1300579.JPG

P1300580.JPG

P1300581.JPG

P1300582.JPG

P1300583.JPG

P1300584.JPG

P1300585.JPG

P1300586.JPG

P1300588.JPG

P1300589.JPG

P1300590.JPG

P1300592.JPG

P1300593.JPG

P1300596.JPG

P1300597.JPG

• Like 2

So how exactly are you hollowing these dials, do you have lathe?

Great concept/idea though, but what dials are you sacrificing ?

Ah, just noticed, ~Raffle `times dials, how much are these each?

Found this one, but doesn't show if it has four feet.

http://rafflestime.com/sterile-black-dial-for-dg-2813-eta-2824-diameter-31-15mm-diy-project-or-as-it-is/

Edited by SSTEEL

I got them on Ebay as he has a sale. I bought a few at 7 USD each. I first mill a larger hole in the center then mount the dial on a holder on a vertical drill to make it of the right diameter. Then, I glue the dial between 2 thick plastic sheets to hold and hollow it on the same vertical drill. Then dip into a chemical to clean the glue and finally buff with 3M pad for a nice clean matte finish !

• Like 1

I'm trying to move my dark lord dial to an ETA movt with similar stem height so I can replace the cal 1030 in my 6538. 

I'm hesitant to clip the feet like this process requires. I think I'll be stuck looking for a movt where I can make holes in the main plate to accept cal 1030 dial feet... 

Edited by Revere