When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 DRSD DIAL PROJECT - UPDATE

AGONZCA

Hey guys,

Not long ago I started a topic about my grail build Rolex 1665 DRSD. It is my first vintage Rolex and I got pretty excited about it so I sourced many gen parts for this (See link below) by myself and asking some help from some of the experts here, specially a big thank you to Dbane, I have annoyed him many times asking every little detail.

http://rwg.cc/topic/182492-1665-drsd-build-update?page=1

The downside of this build was the Dial, having so many gen parts and a lot of money invested, it really bugged me not being able to get a gen dial or even a decent rep dial that doesn't get called out by an untrained eye. I got 2 dials from different sources that have a lot of issues, so I just kept looking until I found someone to work with to create a custom dial. :)

So here you will find atttached the first draft of the design, and I'd love the experts help to try to point out any flaws you can find so I can have them corrected and at the end get a freaking close to gen dial.

Please, I'd appreciate any input you could provide.

Thanks

draft.jpg

Great work, I love stuff like this. I guess you are trying to do a Mark II dial, right? 

Imo you got one of the distinctive features really close, the coronet looks great. It's hard to tell from the resolution of your prototype whether you got all the serifes on the small fonts right, But the S in SEA-DWELLER looks a little off (imo the sweep is to wide, it's looks more clinched on gen dials), as does the S in SUBMARINER (the upper part needs to be longer on the right side, the left part below a little shorter so it does not stretch beneath the middle part). Hope my impressions make sense. Also check the 6 in 610, on the gen dials it looks - for a lack of a better word - a little odd. Here's a detailed shot of a gen for reference:

DRSD-6.JPG

34 minutes ago, wiesn089 said:

Great work, I love stuff like this. I guess you are trying to do a Mark II dial, right? 

Imo you got one of the distinctive features really close, the coronet looks great. It's hard to tell from the resolution of your prototype whether you got all the serifes on the small fonts right, But the S in SEA-DWELLER looks a little off (imo the sweep is to wide, it's looks more clinched on gen dials), as does the S in SUBMARINER (the upper part needs to be longer on the right side, the left part below a little shorter so it does not stretch beneath the middle part). Hope my impressions make sense. Also check the 6 in 610, on the gen dials it looks - for a lack of a better word - a little odd. Here's a detailed shot of a gen for reference:

DRSD-6.JPG

Thanks for your imput, maybe this helps a bit more.

123.jpg

I'm not able to help, but I followed your build with great interest and think this is a really cool idea. I hope you make a batch and offer them to members.

With the skills and knowledge here it would be really great to see a few projects to provide accurate parts to members and maybe give a small percentage profit to the forum. By the people, for the people and all that.

Here are my observations, please feel free to agree or disagree with me.

The triangle at 12 seems a little lower on gen
The “0” shape in the ZEROS can be improved
The shape of “6” in 610 can be improved
The arch of “S” in Sea can be improved
The “DW” in Dweller are almost touching in gen
The necks in the crown need to be a little thicker

This one is a maybe so I will put this separately, 
I think the text on the 2 RED LINES is slightly BOLDER on gen. 
Edited by sacsah1

I can't make my mind up, are the lines in red slightly bolder or is it the effect of the raised print and gloss finish?

While we are talking of dials and at the risk of hi-jacking the thread, if one had access to an original dial could it simply be scanned direct and get perfect lettering and spacing or is it not that simple?

4 minutes ago, sacsah1 said:

I personally think that the RED TEXT is slightly thicker.

Slide1_3.jpg

I have respect for your knowledge and am happy to bow to your opinion, especially as your other suggestions are clearly correct.

i dont think anyone could create one that would satisfy those chasing the gen dial 100%. you may create one that is 80-90% there

for example the print on the gen, the O's are not perfectly round and not because Rolex deliberately made it that way its the pad printing technology at the time created these unique asymmetrical errors. so unless youre going to be using the same method Rolex used to create these dials you will either have one with print that is too crisp or one that looks to have deliberately unrefined text in the serifs, which is how your file currently looks. you would need the master font before any distortions.

if you are going to pad print it would not be cost effective for a one off either. and you are certain to go through several print revisions too before its just "good enough"

talk to whoopy, hes made dials, and his represent a lot of hard work and effort, probably as good as you can get at this scale. if youre satisfied with the quality of his dials then his methods may work for you, if they dont quite do it for you then you will not be satisfied with your own results i think

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, but this was a very expensive and painfull one time thing made with a lot of help from this forum and other guys. Only 2 made.

I was obsessed about the DRSD and as there was not good enough dial on the market, I had to go beyond and make one worth of all the other gen parts I have on this build.

Would you share the file with us? Would be a shame to have to recreate it, don't you think?

You've done an amazing work

In between time lapse

Unfortunately we weren't given the last file. It was a jpeg so sharing that with you wouldn't be as useful. You can imagine it's a proprietary file and the manufacturer wouldn't like sharing it for obvious reasoning.

baaa070c39ef27860e708df3057791aa.jpg

That's what we had to work with.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk