When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need movement help for explorer build.

Bart Cordell

As some members know I want to build two explorers, 6610 and 5500.

Bought a jmb v2 and a gen 1002 cases.

I thought I could use ETA 2846 to fit on these cases. I removed DWO and his mechanism to make it thinner. But on the two cases the movement hole for the stem is not horizontally aligned with the tube, and I can't insert it.

Tried to remove the dial spacer too. But the movement stop after few minutes when it's in contact with dial.

What movement can I use for these cases ? Is ETA 2824 the only way ?

Thanks for advices.

On my case you can use a 2824, 18k Felsa 4xxx, and there is an old ETA 2460 that is low beat 18k and has a stem position very close to a 2824.  Oh, 2783 and 2784 should fit, too.

Hi sorry thats not available i have the one for sale on here in a watch (titus) or the movement woth rolex dial also on here 70 for the serviced one or 25 for the other plus post ta GB

It can and has been done, but it's also quite easy to get problems with power reserve. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this modification, but it seems exactly what is changed and how skilled the smith is makes all the difference between a stable workhorse and a nightmare.

I don't want to mod a 2824 to low beat. And I don't have funds to buy a good 2824. I will stay with my 2846 for the moment.

I just don't understand how 2879 is correct and 2846 not. They have similar stem heights.

• Like 1

@mymanmatt

I tried ETA 2788 & 2789, but the stem is not aligned and I can't insert it in movement. Can you tell me how do you achieve stem alignment on this build ?

http://rwg.cc/topic/182612-vintage-franken-explorer-1016?_fromLogin=1

Remove the date guts and attach the dial to the top of the movement without dial spacer and see if that gets it close enough...  That's how I do the Felsa movements and the stem winds up just about perfect.

Remove the date guts and attach the dial to the top of the movement without dial spacer and see if that gets it close enough...  That's how I do the Felsa movements and the stem winds up just about perfect.

Already removed DWO and parts, and I don't use spacer. But there is too much stress on stem to insert it. If sometime I can insert stem, the keyless is dislocated.

I will use another movement, but don't have funds to buy a good ETA 28xx for the moment.

Hopefully I can wear my lovely 5500 Explorer

• 2 weeks later...