When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you clean plastic crystals before assembly?

Hello everyone.   I finally got to the point where I am doing my first modification and will be installing a new plastic crystal for a 5513 type case.  I know that for metal we can steam clean parts, etc.....  I also know that you can use rodico to pick up dust or oils and that you should use a blower to blow out dust.

But my question is.... do you guys also wipe the inside of the plastic crystal before assembly in case there are finger prints, etc on it?    For my first test fit, I'm using a crystal that is not sealed in a package but has probably been handled already.    When I clean metal or glass, I like using denatured alcohol because it cleans and completely evaporates quickly.

But plastic watch crystals would probably be ruined by strong solvents like denatured alcohol.   How do you guys clean or wipe the inside of a plastic crystal before assembly?

Thank you,

Rick

first of all, dont touch the inside.

compressed air works well for dust.

could also try an ultrasonic cleaning with mild detergent or vinegar solution

for grease like fingerprints i use.

http://www.lenspen.com/

if theres a scratch in the plastic it may fill it in with black graphite, so be aware of that

Another vote for there carbon lens open, I have a set and they are great for removing blemishing in sapphires, plastic plexi's, if these are showing age/wear/scratches, the PolyWatch is recommended.