When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Arrival, IWC Portofino Chrono (Pics and Questions)

GWP123

I just received my IWC Portofino Chrono. Pictures are here. 

I am concerned about a couple things, and wondering if I am over reacting. 1. this is supposed to be AR coated... I may not understand the meaning but the crystal doesn't seem super clear. 2. this watch feels really hollow and the movement seems to shake and spin a great deal...Is this normal? Feels kinda hollow but, maybe thats because I'm used to wearing a submariner? When I tap on it, I can hear the watch shake inside. . .

Is this all normal? What do you all think? 

image16.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

image9.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image14.jpeg

Some of my A7750's are quite loud so maybe it's normal for the watch. If you're keeping it why not get it serviced and AR coated at the same time. It would make the world of difference and really make the dial pop. 

Hmm hard to tell on AR but most have that blueish tint at certain angles , you see any? (tough in pics but not looking like it ) As far as noisy that could be just a 7750 as Kernow said or worse: again hard to say don't take this wrong way but are you experienced w/ auto movements? One sound is is just a sort of normal the other is "Oh sh*t" there is a screw loose or missing on retainer or worse. If you were sitting across a table from most of the guys they could answer both .

Was it expensive? is it worth sending it out for a look? Do you have a link to it on the dealer you bought from?

1 hour ago, Mike on a bike said:

Hmm hard to tell on AR but most have that blueish tint at certain angles , you see any? (tough in pics but not looking like it ) As far as noisy that could be just a 7750 as Kernow said or worse: again hard to say don't take this wrong way but are you experienced w/ auto movements? One sound is is just a sort of normal the other is "Oh sh*t" there is a screw loose or missing on retainer or worse. If you were sitting across a table from most of the guys they could answer both .

Was it expensive? is it worth sending it out for a look? Do you have a link to it on the dealer you bought from?

I bought it from Trusty, this is the link to the watch: http://www.ttw8488.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_190&products_id=14579
I've purchased a few reps in the past, done a lot of research - but I wouldn't say I'm experienced with movements or that knowledgable in any way. 
The watch looks nice, minus the crystal - honestly, the crystal also feels really light and cheap....but maybe its just that I'm used to other watches? As far as dress watches - I have a Tissot le locle and the crystal feels thick and sturdy.  My TC Sub crystal is also pretty thick. This one feels fragile and light....but I'm not sure if I got a bad quality or whether this is just normal for the type of watch.  

When I "tap" on the crystal, I can feel the rest of the inside of the watch moving.     

I would say, I am completely ignorant whether this is normal or me overreacting.  I did message Andrew at Trusty and he responded that all QC was done and the watch should be fine...but I should manual wind it and take the back off and see if any screws are loose and tighten them. Not sue if I should do this? 

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Some of my A7750's are quite loud so maybe it's normal for the watch. If you're keeping it why not get it serviced and AR coated at the same time. It would make the world of difference and really make the dial pop. 

Any thoughts on where to service and get AR coating?  I'm also not sure whether I got a [censored] crystal. The whole watch just doesn't feel "solid" like all my other gen and rep watches.  

2 hours ago, GWP123 said:

I bought it from Trusty, this is the link to the watch: http://www.ttw8488.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_190&products_id=14579
I've purchased a few reps in the past, done a lot of research - but I wouldn't say I'm experienced with movements or that knowledgable in any way. 
The watch looks nice, minus the crystal - honestly, the crystal also feels really light and cheap....but maybe its just that I'm used to other watches? As far as dress watches - I have a Tissot le locle and the crystal feels thick and sturdy.  My TC Sub crystal is also pretty thick. This one feels fragile and light....but I'm not sure if I got a bad quality or whether this is just normal for the type of watch.  

When I "tap" on the crystal, I can feel the rest of the inside of the watch moving.     

I would say, I am completely ignorant whether this is normal or me overreacting.  I did message Andrew at Trusty and he responded that all QC was done and the watch should be fine...but I should manual wind it and take the back off and see if any screws are loose and tighten them. Not sue if I should do this? 

Any thoughts on where to service and get AR coating?  I'm also not sure whether I got a [censored] crystal. The whole watch just doesn't feel "solid" like all my other gen and rep watches.  

Speak with SSTEEL on the forum here. He's done the servicing on some of mine and also arranged the AR to be done  

@SSTEEL - Micky, can you help?