When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Bombe case : the dressy oyster of the 60's

rolojack

Ah, here is an other bit of fun I had recently : I did a custom bombe cased 6238 chronograph. It really becomes a dress watch like this doesn't it? This kind of request was seen in the 60s, and given the very inaccurate original shape of that cartel case this transformation seemed to be an interesting option to create a unique watch. It could benefit from a better crystal and proper engravings maybe...

P1300968.JPG

P1300969.JPG

P1300970.JPG

P1300971.JPG

P1300972.JPG

P1300973.JPG

P1300974.JPG

P1300975.JPG

P1300976.JPG

P1300977.JPG

P1300978.JPG

P1300979.JPG

P1300980.JPG

P1300981.JPG

P1300982.JPG

P1300983.JPG

P1300984.JPG

P1300985.JPG

P1300987.JPG

P1300990.JPG

P1300991.JPG

P1300994.JPG

P1300995.JPG

P1300996.JPG

7 hours ago, newswire said:

Where is the case from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the master above, before that it came from the Cartel and before that - in-a-reverse "one thing led to another" we, it, and everything else came - from star dust.

19 minutes ago, horologist said:

Bombe cases go back even before the 1960's.  I had a gold rolex with these lugs from 1953.  It was a common design omega also used.  You will notice it on one of their speed master models

Indeed, but not so commun. Say popular by demand. Besides factory bombe cases, I have seen twice Oyster cases shaped in bombe. One was probably transformed by a retailer/jeweller back when people were doing what they felt like with their watches as there was no such thing as an established market value. It was very much appreciated by the same crowd of collectors who were chasing the bubblebacks in the late 80s.

2 hours ago, hologramet said:

we, it, and everything else came - from star dust.

Everything except hydrogen, helium and deuterium to be pedantic :-)

I love this watch and now have something new to type into Google and get obsessive over.

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

Everything except hydrogen, helium and deuterium to be pedantic :-)

I love this watch and now have something new to type into Google and get obsessive over.

Touché! :)

Yeah.. Now I have a new "hmmmmmm..... maybe I should..." on my radar. Hello google, bye bye spare time.

7 minutes ago, hologramet said:

Touché! :)

Yeah.. Now I have a new "hmmmmmm..... maybe I should..." on my radar. Hello google, bye bye spare time.

Yep. I spent too much of Friday, Saturday and Sunday night "researching" 6200 and 6204 for a build somewhere down the line. I've already been on Google about bombe cases. Always one more watch I need before I can rest