When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

animal welfare vs. cheap straps

Hi,

This is just a question… no prejudice or racism behind it!!! I am not accusing anybody; I am also not asking to discuss meat eaters vs. vegans, just asking a question:

- what about animal welfare vs. cheap straps

Quality is a wide open word/fact and not only comes down to the product itself! Yes of course a brand name drives the price up x100%, we all know this, but so does a quality supply chain and sourcing! I am not saying that strap producers from ??? are better, maybe they are not… as they may source from the same sources and just have some BS certificate!?

So from Asia, USA, EU or South America, no idea which is better or just as full of BS or animal cruelty!?

So, ever considered animal welfare vs. cheap straps?

Also what about the safety of the colours and chemicals used vs us humans... just an additional thought!?

Dutchy (yes, I am a meat eater!)

P.S. And there is enough proof out there that maybe is no difference? WARNING: a rather nasty video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3EDcnARnyA

Edited by theflyingdutchman

I really cannot see any difference between "farming" alligators or crocodiles and commercial chicken, turkey, beef operations. While PETA obviously wants to show the cruelty factor and the tie in with luxury goods that sell for multiple thousands of dollars, cattle hides are sold , tanned and turned into many different products. The primary difference between the two is in the case of alligator/ croc farms, the skin is the primary and the meat is secondary. In the case of beef, the hide is the secondary and the meat is the primary. However the alligator/croc meat is sold. Down here where I live, just about every seafood restaurant sells alligator, it's also available in grocery and specialty stores.

As the guy in the video stated, we are bulletproof! As long as there are wealthy people in the world, the demand for Birkin/Kelly bags and Mink,Sable, Ermine, Fox coats will be in demand, no matter how loudly the PETA people protest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with Arthur on this, we will always have farms not just for meat but all the by products that we use from animals, there is a line which we will meet in animal welfare and that is humane forms of culling.

This is nowhere near what PETA/Vegans want but it is the best they will ever achieve.

That said I saw a very interesting video the other day that shows they are now making a material that for all purposes looks and feels just like leather, out of coconuts!

Ken

I worry that might mean the end of piña colada cocktails as we know them. I wonder also what the People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants have to say about that. I know it's enough to make me go postal. Leave the coconuts alone, people!

The further advanced, rich and developed societies are the more time and money they have to (rightly) reflect about social welfare, animal rights and ecology. Wherever humans are daily struggling for survival anything will be done just to live the next day and there will be some controlling huge profiteers and middleman in between. There are too many people living on the Planet, the individual action imho doesn´t change anything, contrary to what they want to make us belief.

Theoretically I wonder how people would think if all the genuine straps could be replaced by a higher quality, cheaper but highly polluting synthetic one, made out of scarce ressources that could have other purposes as for medicine. They would fight this also and the next.. and the next.

Most of my straps are cowhide and croc-imitation, poor cow, still like to wear them.