When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7032/0 Monte Carlo mystery dial??

meadowsweet_

So, I am just a few weeks away from wrapping up probably my most "involved" franken thusfar, a very special Tudor Monte Carlo (a 7031/0 actually) from Jensen aka VintageWatchmaker aka son of Phong. Anyways, the stock dial on the phong/Jensen 7031 isn't great imvho and accordingly, I had been on the hunt for a different dial to use for some time. With DW's (great) dials out of the picture, remaining options are kind of limited. Yuki's dial leaves much to be desired, NDT's dial is terrible and nothing on offer from either MQ or Tonny. I was at a loss. Then a couple weeks ago I made a last-ditch search on eBay and actually stumbled upon (and won; $88, score!) a pretty nice dial from a random seller. The details are pretty good from what I can tell (dial is still en route to me) but it doesn't look like any other Home Plate dial I've ever seen. My first thought was maybe it could actually be a random old DW dial, but comparing to pics of DW 7032s on the boards made me think otherwise. Curious to see what others think of it and if anyone has any idea of its provenance:

00B741DB-815F-4D86-AC93-F307CDFA98A5_zps

71FB27AF-4F53-45B7-BE53-A0471B929DF5_zps

Hard to see but the subdials are nice and recessed and have the correct guilloche texture, the lume plots look good and have an awesome texture, the hash marks on the minute track are nice and thin, shield looks good, the grey background looks quite nice, etc. Granted, those outer orange numbers are a bit too thick and "Oysterdate" looks a tad odd among a few other deficiencies; but compare then to the stock Phong/Jensen dial (below) that was supposed to come on the build initially. Above dial is better to my eye, both definitely have their individual pluses and minuses but overall I prefer the random eBay dial. Thoughts?

82FF09ED-5E22-4FDC-88B8-78F7B44D7E90_zps

Also, for what it's worth:

The eBay seller seems to be listing a stream of random aftermarket Tudor dials; only listing one or two at a time. eBay profile says he's located in California by the tracking number for my dial originated in Vietnam. The dials all look pretty good all things considered and as far as I can tell they're not the same as the usual suspects you see for many of these dials (7149, 7159, pres. seal snowflake, etc.), perhaps a stream of new good "Vietnam" dials are slowly trickling onto market? eBay seller id: bivintagestore2014

• 2 years later...

Probably Vietnam dials.  What bugs me with both dials are the date window is too large (the 2nd one is even worse), the gen date window doesn't dip into the minute track but ends above it and will show some white space below the datewheel, and the magnifier just highlight this flaw. 

See this pix of mine with an old Vietnam dial:

IMG_6968.thumb.JPG.cd2ec9e726074d6c9d5b2ba12fa8fad7.JPG

The gen below is how it should look.

5.jpg

The DW dial has it's own set if issues, the orange is too red, the grey is a bit glossy and should be matte and you'll have to have it relumed unless you want a minty fresh white lume.  Good luck in your search, I think the DW is still the best bet, you'll just have to hunt for one and be patient.