When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob submariner Sa3135 or A2836?

Alejandro

+1 @Rolexia Not worth the premium.

As we speak, there's still NO parts readily available for SA3135 regardless version, no one knows who makes it.  Everybody knows crown stem is fatal.  Parts are of poor quality + NO gen parts will fit except superficial parts like DW and hands.  The pro is, with this movement you have a true to gen crown height + gen mounting style without movement spacer. vs the ETA.

Rep 2836 or 2824s are much more robust built, desk of parts everywhere, gen or rep they both fit!  Anybody can service and work on them.  They are workhouses, period. But you have to live with the low crown height on 2836 in Rollie applications while the 2824 sits higher and is visually correct to gen.

• Like 2

Yes, parts for the SA 3135 are not available. I bought 8 and could not get any extra stems. As for the 28xx-2, there are many parts available. Nearly all parts interchange except the center wheel. The asian centerwheel will fit the gen28xx-2 movement, the gen will not fit the asian movement. Inside the center post on the gen baseplate, is a shoulder for the center wheel to rest against. That holds it above the mainspring tub.The asian model has a spacer on the top of the center wheel to hold it in place. Then gen will not work on the asian because it goes up to far. No shoulder for it to rest against. Best movement for datejust or daydate, is a swiss, late model purchased from a legitimate dealer. It's sweet!!

On 2016/6/12 at 6:39 AM, mymanmatt said:

Yes, parts for the SA 3135 are not available. I bought 8 and could not get any extra stems. As for the 28xx-2, there are many parts available. Nearly all parts interchange except the center wheel. The asian centerwheel will fit the gen28xx-2 movement, the gen will not fit the asian movement. Inside the center post on the gen baseplate, is a shoulder for the center wheel to rest against. That holds it above the mainspring tub.The asian model has a spacer on the top of the center wheel to hold it in place. Then gen will not work on the asian because it goes up to far. No shoulder for it to rest against. Best movement for datejust or daydate, is a swiss, late model purchased from a legitimate dealer. It's sweet!!

Thanks for the info on the Asian and Gen ETAs.  Rule of thumb, gen is always better than reps!  I had a couple of Day-Date 18238 frankens built in late 90's, I was able to source the Mido version 2846 at 36000 bph, for super smooth sweeping motion though wrong, but it still runs like a champ!

One may consider the Yuki 3135 over SA 3135 at a premium, then part source is unlimited since gen parts will fit with added reliability and value.

On 2016/6/9 at 6:52 AM, Alejandro said:

Is it worth the price difference between the SA3135 and the A2836?

Back to your question OP, sorry for veering off topic :)

Take into consideration that Noob Sub with SA3135 utilizes better parts (in the watch, not movement) than A2836 version, i.e. case construction, bezel ring, the band etc...  Purchase the SA then replace the movement with an Asian or Swiss ETA 2824 may also be a good idea for DIYers, recoup the money by selling the SA in the trading section, it may end up as a wash.  That way, gen ETA smokes the SA thousand miles away in terms of reliability.

On a yuki you can use some gen parts. Calendar wheels and maybe a stem. On the Sa nothing but a calendar wheel. Stems will not fit and neither will anything else. I had one with a broken balance staff. Tried a gen, it was way off. 

3 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

On a yuki you can use some gen parts. Calendar wheels and maybe a stem. On the Sa nothing but a calendar wheel. Stems will not fit and neither will anything else. I had one with a broken balance staff. Tried a gen, it was way off. 

I have one needed a stem, gen or Yuki won't fit...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg