When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose crown advice on datejust after repair

jorrie

The rolex crown with a short pin is loose after glass repair. What would be the way to make i attach again correctly?

ill be getting a caseback opener tool in the next 2 weeks. 

Any advice on how to make the short pin attach again to the clock mechanism again?

it was a mymanmatt build and i managed to fix the glass myself. Without proper tools in a nerve breaking attemp which worked out fine thank god.

im a bit sad the crown is loose does no seem broken but i can just pull it out and it wont set date time or let me rewind anymore

Any advice on howto fix when i can re attach it correctly after im able to open the caseback? Not sure how its on gen datejust but it feels strange the crown can be pulled out as a seperate part. From start the crown felt a little unstable as in easily breakable.

love to have the watch back on after 2 months in the drawer. Hope this can be resolved 

The pin you mention, I'm guessing you are referring to the stem.  As to why the stem has suddenly become too short, and the crown loose from the stem begs the question, what did you do exactly when you replaced the plexi?

image.jpegIndeed ment the stem. broken as i looked up reference pictures of it. I should have removed it before pressing the glass it must have been "hit" so lesson learned. 

It seems the rolex crown holds the stem in place there is a little bit of the stem still in the rolex crown. I assume one could take it out somehow? If not glued on.

So my thoughts are:

1) remove backcase

2) unscrew stem from clock so it can be removed.

3) get a new stem and remove the part that is stuck inside the rolex crown. Any advice regarding that?

Also im going to buy a watch glass press

So there is some info on the movement and replacement of stem. Seems tricky again.

http://rwg.cc/topic/148969-eta-2836-2-stem-removal-button

easy to mess up.

any idea where to get a stem for this movement? I rather not replace whole movement because of the alignment hell which comes with it.

Also I think the crown and stem are glued together whixh is really unfortunate so i probably going to need another crown to :( or just put it in fluid that dissolves the glue?

You will need a pin vice to grip what is left of the stem while you unscrew the crown.

For the replacement stem, apply a bit of semi-permanent threadlocker to the threads & screw crown onto stem until snug (do not overtighter or you will be replacing the replacement). Apply a small bit of PML grease (assuming you are not equipped with watchmaker supplies, you can use a wee bit of lithium grease in a pinch) to the tip of the stem & reinstall into movement.

• Like 1

Thank you I will try to do this replacement. 
Thread locker and basic watch tools I have the basics. 
I dont have PML but lithium grease I have on stock.

Do you know if the above hands would work I posted in the link to the ebay?
They state for Tudor but assumed they where both the same and the 2386-2 is listed as compatible so assume that would be safe.

If the picture you posted is the crown's current state then there is nothing sticking out to grab and unscrew.  Is this the case?  If so you can mix up a citric acid solution and let it sit in it for a couple of weeks and it should dissolve the carbon steel of the stem without harming the stainless.  This is how I remove broken drill bits in case lugs...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So i still have fix this

Plan to fix this tomorrow i have the pins on stock. I plan to use a woodrn stick with tiny drop of supergleu to connect to the remssinig pin dince it broke only problem is to get the oun loose. There is a very tiny hole in the watch wich from reading i understand inhave to press very lightly. I think i have not such small screedriver so perhaps a very tiny metal pin will work.

See attached image of the watch is it whay should be the correct hole? 

Is it the one next to the stem at the bottom litle to the right?

image.jpeg

Edited by jorrie

I also read elsewhere you have to pull the stem out to its most outward position for a piece of o shaped meta to appear which themn have to pressed to pull out the stem out of the watch. Anyone had expierience with this for this type of movement ?

Edited by jorrie

Repairing this without the right tools is time consuming and often creates more problems. Any stem for a 2836-2 24,34 will fit. If the crown is open when you are pressing the bezel on, it will usually break if you are doing it on a flat surface. Alum heated to about 180 degrees will dissolve the stem. However, it will also weaken the spring inside the crown. Sometimes the alum will pit the stainless. Why don"t I just send you a new crown and stem?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

Repairing this without the right tools is time consuming and often creates more problems. Any stem for a 2836-2 24,34 will fit. If the crown is open when you are pressing the bezel on, it will usually break if you are doing it on a flat surface. Alum heated to about 180 degrees will dissolve the stem. However, it will also weaken the spring inside the crown. Sometimes the alum will pit the stainless. Why don"t I just send you a new crown and stem?

Hi Matt,

that would be great. I have bought stem from ebay should be the right one. The crown is indeed also problem. If you could help me on that it would be awesome. Do you still have my address?

You mean the crown head?

The broken pin is still in im not sure if i can remove it. If thats possible I think I may be able to solve it myself since i have the replacement stem.

the only problem still is how do i get the stem out? Do i have to press a hole somewhere? Cannot find anything online about it

Please stop now!!  The pin you depress to remove the stem is the set lever. If you push it in to far, even a tiny bit, you're going to mess up the keyless works. Even if you don't, the stem still has to be cut to the correct length. If you go even one thread to short it won't work like it should. If you send me the head and the stem I can repair it and send it back the same day. I can probably save your crown too. If not I have crowns in stock. This is something you should not be messing with until you have more experience. PM me and I'll give you my address

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt tahnk you for the advice

i have added a small plastic tube hollow and glued the broken pin together like that with a little expoxy it eorked out fine is strong and holds up correctly.

too much hassle to send it back but your offer is much appreciated. Since I wont sell the watch this is not a problem for me. Replacing the pin to dagerous so this was a good solution and its very strong.