When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brexit wins!

I do not know how my many British friends here feel about it but the vote is in...................  Do hope you shorted the Pound though. ;) (150 against the USD to134 at present, happened fast) For our purposes your reps just got more expensive.

Link   https://www.dailyfx.com/gbp-usd

I'm a Brit! Watched the first couple of results come in before I headed to bed, didn't look good from the start. The campaigning was based on immigration (which is mostly but not entirely based on racism, and someone to blame if you're poor) and good old fashioned British hatred won through. 

350 billion wiped off the value of the country overnight, that's 40 years of the talked about "unaffordable EU contributions".....

Glad I'm in a recession proof business.

I need a new gardener, should be plenty of unskilled labour available to work for peanuts. I also need a builder, should be plenty of skilled labour to work for peanuts.

11 minutes ago, Hagus said:

I'm a Brit! Watched the first couple of results come in before I headed to bed, didn't look good from the start. The campaigning was based on immigration (which is mostly but not entirely based on racism, and someone to blame if you're poor) and good old fashioned British hatred won through. 

350 billion wiped off the value of the country overnight, that's 40 years of the talked about "unaffordable EU contributions".....

Glad I'm in a recession proof business.

I need a new gardener, should be plenty of unskilled labour available to work for peanuts. I also need a builder, should be plenty of skilled labour to work for peanuts.

Absolute rubbish. 

The UK has been ruled by unelected and unaccountable officials in Brussels for far too long. 

As for immigration equaling racism, I've rarely heard such crap. The UK had welcomed immigrants with open arms for years. I've worked in industry whereby we rely on immigrants to provide cheap labour and no one I've come across is racist. People are fed up with our small island having to accept Brussels decisions, and yes, that includes taxation, laws and immigration to name a few. 

This maybe good for the UK and other European countries into the future, time will tell. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, martijnp said:

This is a historical day, that's for sure. 

Maybe the Netherlands will follow Martijn? What do you think? This could be the start of the fall of a house or cards. I expect not, but it just could be. 

Hey Kernow, I guess we will see how things pan out... We are all entitled to our opinions. I agree Brussels influence was often not helpful! But on the flip side they tempered against our increasingly right wing governments. 

A friend and neighbour of mine is a ln economics lecturer and researcher, before the election he described leaving as "f*cking madness", but, genuinely, time will tell. 

Im now hoping the union collapses...

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Maybe the Netherlands will follow Martijn? What do you think? This could be the start of the fall of a house or cards. I expect not, but it just could be. 

To be honest I don't think The Netherlands will follow. Maybe some other EU countries, but time will tell!

Edited by martijnp

Whatever the reason gents what's done is done as far as others leaving who knows but certainly improves chances now that the Brits took the plunge (bully for you!). As far as currencies did not your exports just get a whole lot cheaper............... that is always a good thing.

Things have stabilized moved back up a bit.

• British Pound to euro exchange rate today -5% at 1.24, lowest at 1.2018.
  • Euro to pound exchange rate: 0.8065 best at 0.8321
  • Pound to dollar exchange rate today -7.77% at 1.3720, lowest at 1.3218
  • Pound to Australian dollar exchange rate today -5.16% at 1.8513, lowest at 1.8005
  • Pound to New Zealand Dollar exchange rate today -5.60% at 1.9349, lowest at 1.8869
  • Pound to Swiss Franc exchange rate today -6% at 1.3390, lowest at 1.2854
  • Pound to Yen exchange rate today -11% at 140.07, lowest at 133.20

"The UK has been ruled by unelected and unaccountable officials in Brussels for far too long. As for immigration equaling racism, I've rarely heard such crap."

+1 (from the USA)

Almost every problem in the free world today was caused by politicians.  Otoh, one big problem 'the people' brought upon themselves is overpopulation.  (imho)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, surgcmdr1 said:

Love it [censored] THE NWO

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The NWO with it satanic agenda is done The Lord rules Amen

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yes it is time for the will of the people while we still can over the political class and mega corporations with their globalist agenda. I know there will be some financial pain but that is nothing compared to the end result of the aforementioned interest consolidating power to make a vote that was just held in UK irrelevant and/or impossible. How better of do you think we are going to be if they are left unchecked long term, really think about it.

If you think they are benevolent you better stop smoking that crap!

• In the UK we do not elect our head of state.
  • When we 'buy' a piece of land we do not actually own it. We merely own the rights of access to it. True ownership remains with the crown.
  • If we discover valuable minerals in our garden they do not belong to us. Crown property mineral rights prevail.
  • Our armed forces do not swear allegiance to the government, nor the people. Only to the crown.

These are just a few examples of facts that demonstrate that there are varying levels of 'democracy'. In light of the above, to complain about the 'undemocratic EU' and by so, imply that the UK is a shining example of democracy in action is nothing short of silly really.

Just sayin'

24 minutes ago, dieselpower said:
  • In the UK we do not elect our head of state.
  • When we 'buy' a piece of land we do not actually own it. We merely own the rights of access to it. True ownership remains with the crown.
  • If we discover valuable minerals in our garden they do not belong to us. Crown property mineral rights prevail.
  • Our armed forces do not swear allegiance to the government, nor the people. Only to the crown.

These are just a few examples of facts that demonstrate that there are varying levels of 'democracy'. In light of the above, to complain about the 'undemocratic EU' and by so, imply that the UK is a shining example of democracy in action is nothing short of silly really.

Just sayin'

WOW that list sucks but it could be worse, you can still vote and it it is acted upon.

Yes we can vote. But not on any of the above.

I once asked an eminent lawyer that if, in the UK, we voted for a government that intended to remove the royal family and that was their declared policy how it would actually happen? 

He told me that within the laws as they stand it is impossible to get rid of the royal family.

My reply was - So, we DO live in a dictatorship then?"

"Of sorts" he replied.

The British colonized almost half of the world and amalgamated the "British Isles" into the UK which no one pretends is an equal partnership with the other countries involved. Countless nations have fought for independent governance from the British in the past. Now they hold a referendum for independence from the EU because they don't want Britain to be influenced by the interests of politicians who weren't directly elected by the British. This could be a long winded definition for a word that is universally hard to define. The campaign to leave the EU was more ironic than it was racist and let's face it, it was pretty racist. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike on a bike said:

Diesel your Royal family pretty benign IMHO.

Coop ironic , how?

Pretty benign until the moment a soldier is ordered to shoot a citizen on the streets and he says "I'm not doing that, he's a British citizen!" then his commanding officer reminds him that his oath is the the (benign) Queen, not his fellow citizen. 

Now some may say that's far fetched, to them I would say Kent State and Bloody Sunday - just for starters.

AH reaching back to their colonial past so yes ironic, as far as racist well depends on how you define it: wanting to keep your traditions , way of life is why people followed leaders in the past to carve out their own country (it's all about self/common interest) their language, values. You want to come assimilate or you stay where you are , a case of common sense/self interest by those who have formed the country. This being said the Brits realized they had given up the right to maintain their way of life to the boys in Brussels so opted out, their country their call.

PS If someone else controls your borders you no longer have a country they own it, not racist self interest.

Disel it is a stretch................

1 hour ago, icoopernicus said:

Am I the only one who finds the recent wave of 'Britain First' independence rhetoric and the referendum to leave the EU to be, at least slightly, ironic?

It isn't 'Britain First', it is the British people putting themselves first; first before Europe and first before immigration etc. Is this wrong? You'd put yourselves before others, it's human nature after all. 

Now, don't confuse refugees with immigrants. As a nation, we have long embraced immigration. However, there sometimes is too much, and this is now. Refugees from Africa, the Middle East, the Indian sub-continent: we are a small island nation and it is full - a seventh the area of France with a not dissimilar population. School places full, hospital beds full, immigrants(aka refugees) claiming housing and social security benefits etc. They get given a house, food etc. If I don't work I get nada, zilch even though I've paid into the system for nearly 30 years! 

Now, I'm far from a Royalist, but the Royals are no better or worse than any other influential family anywhere in the world. It's only because the term Royal is used and titles are hereditary that we put them under the microscope. I don't think the Queen has ordered anyone shot recently. Although Phil-the-Greek may have hand a hand in a certain car accident circa 20 years ago - just saying. 

Anyway, upwards and onwards. 

Let's face it, the EU originated  40 plus years ago as an economic and military alliance to contain the Soviet empire's plans to take over the West. In other words, this was a matter of avoiding to go to war with the Russians, starting the third global confrontation in the century. And it worked, as in 1989, the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact collapsed without a single shot and peace was secured. Today we have the chanced to do the same. Just take a look at the mess in the Middle East and the millions of refugees without a place to go. This is time for unity not division. I hope somebody has some sense so as to prevent the the next catastrophe that Trump, Putin and Farage could bring to the world as  Hitler, Mussolini and Chamberlain did in 1938. 

• Like 2