When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5510 3,6,9 Big Crown

dbane883

Hello fellow brethren.

Let me start by saying that this project was not overly thought out as I cobbled it together this week using various parts I had lying around the house and office.

Several months ago, Tonneywatches out of Singapore popped into the scene offered a variety of vintage Rolex parts, both genuine and rep. I decided to investigate his offering and ordered a 5510 midcase set as well as a claimed refinished 5510 explorer dial.

The case needed a lot of work (as expected) to get it right. Here's what it looked like:

55289d5d034ae5a76b2fb7a384db034e.jpg

e0de1b96b7cfb16f2d6abcecd4b3be7f.jpg

6978530cb99ea20cf88eb62691cf50fd.jpg

It's very "boxy" and the bevels were quite poor. It has since been made a bit more correct.

The dial was advertised to be a genuine plate and the gilt was negative relief. There are some issues but certainly better than the other "gilt" dials from the likes of Yuki and HR. The lacquer was a bit too glossy and lume looked a bit too fresh. I've managed to soften the sheen a tad and patinized the non-glow lume a few shades.

Bezel is chrome plated brass. I managed to removed much of the chrome to reveal the brass and it accepts gen inserts. The retention ring is also gen spec.

For the crown, I used a gen 8mm brevet and replaced the crappy tube with an Athaya tube I forgot I had.

The crystal from tonney is poor and replaced it with a used gen T-19 service crystal.

As for movement, I used a gen cal 1530. Hands are gen 5513/12 hands.

Insert is a used mid font service insert.

Not sure I will keep this, but for now, I will keep it in the rotation so I put less wear/tear on my 6548. Here is the finished project:

85ff9715db18ae69cf164e15c9606b5e.jpg

bc5d7fb21386a3df9b7e3175eb611f3e.jpg

fc9fb6b27da4e95f7dc9d24f2bb86192.jpg

1774ad1ccdb2b338a27cb3822905cb51.jpg

eeff7692ef72a40551835daa818d898c.jpg

84a8c2c755871a726f1161b6ea60ef31.jpg

a57fcaa80eb79ed3ce3edb0e35168b54.jpg

2e212b026be1f7400140ffeb963ad29d.jpg

6179a87a5b1fbe47d966b55c439fafa5.jpg

0c8b4ff6615127862ced175a43e102c7.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say Phong cases are still better if he sends you a good specimen. It can be hit and miss with him. But he is also 2-3x more expensive so that needs to factor into the equation.

Compared to Yuki, the Tonney big crown case is definitely better but a notch below Mingh Quy.

My guess is that tonney sources these cases from Vietnam just like phong and MQ. So for value, tonney cases are very good.

• Like 1

The usual Dbane impeccable casework. Economy and a Dbane build aren't two things that go together well, but for the rest of us after saving USD800 on the case, we can save about a grand on the movement. Then fit the usual rep hands and an aftermarket crystal. Definitely not Dbane style, but it should be a very nice watch for us mortals for less than the cost of the movement on this.

Beautiful build! After much research I believe that this is the watch that Ian Fleming originally had in mind when he wrote the James Bond books.

Your skills and eye for detail are legendary.  Thanks for sharing what you do. It makes it so fun for the rest of us!

Here's a side profile shot compared to my phong 6538 (on top):

53218fbfb9cd68f9f475282c0db1d768.jpg

Obviously the "swoop" or tear-drop lug tip of the phong is preferred but there is enough material there to carve out the swoops to be much more accurate. The rehaut of the tonney case is very similar to the phong which is what leads me to believe that the same source provides phong, MQ and now tonney with the same raw mid case blank. Then each seller finishes off the details (like the lug tip swoops) which is why they vary from sample to sample. All other dimensions seem to be the same as phong.

Yes, an ETA wil fit any of these cases with the right adapter.

Given that the bezel is brass alloy-based, the complete tonney case set for $600 is a great value imo. Phong and MQ charge $300 for a bezel alone. A complete big crown phong case will run you anywhere from $1200-1500 depending on how he feels that day. Upon second look today, I actually think the bezel is better than phongs. (Note that the bezel on my 6538 is a gen service bezel and has a different profile to an original 6538 bezel.)

Case back stamp on the tonney case is incorrect "1958" but it's a common tell from other Vietnam cases I've seen floating around the market.

I could carve out the lug swoops but this was a impulse project and I just wanted a beater to save wear/tear on my other builds. I will likely part it out at some point, but the genesis of this was R&D. Someone had to take one for the team :)

• Like 1

Well,a big thank you for taking one for the team. I really appreciate your views on the tonnywatches cases as I'm sure do other members. It would seem that given work a Tonny case could be every bit as good as a Phong for much less outlay.

There's nothing wrong with a 1958 stamp on the 5510 or the 5508- that's when they first came out. The 1530 movement came out in 1957. Rolex was producing the 6538 and the 5510 concurrently at that time.

It's a beautiful build. But I'd love to see the hands recolored to more closely match the dial.

As always... You don't disappoint. Even if it's a "budget" build.

As for tonnywatches and dung_chrono and Ruby. For some reason (maybe the youth with better knowledge in the Internet and english) a lot of new sellers have popped up. Some greedier than others. I think they all offer the exactly same raw materials. And In most cases (drum roll... we have a watch joke) you are sure that you get exactly the specimen seen in the pictures 

Get to know the sellers, and maybe we will find out more about this mystery.

/as always I stand in awe... may the force be with you

There's nothing wrong with a 1958 stamp on the 5510 or the 5508- that's when they first came out. The 1530 movement came out in 1957. Rolex was producing the 6538 and the 5510 concurrently at that time.

It's a beautiful build. But I'd love to see the hands recolored to more closely match the dial.

The stamp should not be "1958". It should be "58". In this case specifically, it should say "III.58" and NOT "III 1958"

Rolex never stamped out the full year as far as I know.

The case whisperer at it again. The man who talks to cases...

the force is strong in you.

I would love to see you shape the bottom of the lugs to match the excellent bevels you cut. Maybe color match the hands.

If you grow tired of her I would be interested in discussing moving the project forward with you

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:27 PM, dbane883 said:

The stamp should not be "1958". It should be "58". In this case specifically, it should say "III.58" and NOT "III 1958"

Rolex never stamped out the full year as far as I know.

OK, I see what  you mean. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: I just found a III 1958 on the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-REF-5508-TROPICAL-DIAL-ca-1958-JAMES-BOND-WATCH-/371544544939?hash=item5681c7d6ab:g:DmAAAOSwL7VWrf0V

But does radium still glow after 50+ years?

OK, I see what  you mean. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: I just found a III 1958 on the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-REF-5508-TROPICAL-DIAL-ca-1958-JAMES-BOND-WATCH-/371544544939?hash=item5681c7d6ab:g:DmAAAOSwL7VWrf0V

But does radium still glow after 50+ years?

Here's an article in "a blog to watch" about radium and tritium. Technically, since the half life of radium is 1600 years, they said radium watch lume can still glow 25 to 50 years after application as long as the base paint (binder) is still in tact. So it really comes down to how well the lume was applied and how it has held up after all of these years. For that watch to have all the lume markers, hands, and a pearl all glowing like a torch is interesting to say the least. Hmmm.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/what-you-want-to-know-about-watch-luminant/

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

On 6/26/2016 at 8:55 AM, alligoat said:

Ditto & you might also consider spraying a light coat of matte varnish to the dial to add a bit of subtle texture & tone down the shine.