When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

sa3135 movement failure on lv hulk. what are my options?

mule play

The second just stopped. Crown, hands and date are all smooth. Rotor spins quietly as well. No amount of winding and case tapping revive it.

What are my options to repair or swap out the movement?

This is a v6s hulk.

• Like 1

Update. I removed the caseback to see if anything looked off and perhaps fixable.

Here is what I found.

The balance spring was mangled and a washer fell out somewhere. See photos.

It is going back to Andrew for replacement.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, SSTEEL said:

Is that a hair in the first photo>?

Look over the movement to see if you can locate where that washer ring has came from.

No. That is the balance spring outside of the balance. Somehow it was mangled by the rotor and is severely bent out of shape...so much that the balance wheel will not gyrate. I cannot find a location of the washer ring. It was just sitting in the caseback when I opened it. I did look but to no avail.

The washer does not belong to that movement. Tip! A good watchsmith familiar with rolex, can repair the hair spring, most of the time. Part of their training in the very begining, is to straighten hair springs. My guess is the washer caused the problem. Trust me, nothing gen will fit that movement.

• Like 1

My advice (for what it's worth) is to stay away from these movements.  Why?  No parts.  The only good things about them:  1...a genuine 3035/3135 rolex dial will fit the movement  2...they look somewhat like a 3135. That's it. 'Look somewhat like a 3135' is not much good in a watch with a solid case back so imho the only thing going for them is the genuine dial will fit. 

The 'old reliable' (Ha!) Asian time and date 21 jewel movements are bad enough but at least you can buy another one for $25/$35 or fix one with parts from another movement. I put parts from three different Seagull ST16 together yesterday to make a knock around runner for a friend. Total cost was $0 because all the movements came from free doa junk. You can't do that with a 3135 clone. The one Yuki sells seems to be the best of the two however.

No parts is what eventually kills them all, clone and genuine. The automatic rolex bubbleback was killed off because of no parts and NPFU is quickly killing off the rolex 1030 automatic and 12xx manual winders. Next to go is the rolex 1530/60/70.

• Like 1

Gen 3135's have a problem much like yours. If the watch happens to be stuck, or jarred at just the exact moment the the hairspring is at it's largest point, the outer coil will actually flip over the hair spring. The repair is to gently pick it up and lower it to the correct position. No damage is usually done and the watch will continue to run with out any issues I've seen this happen more than once.

I had a few 3035 movements that had the hs get hung up. The 3035 is famous for hung up hs, broken top rotor jewels, and hair springs coming loose from the collet (no fix for detached hs, need a new balance complete). Had quite a few with broken balance staffs too. A lot of rlx stuff ain't that hot imho. 

In a sane world, quartz watches would have put rolex out of business 35 years ago.   :pimp:

• Like 1