When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Age hands?

Doesn't everybody?

Heyyyyyyy maybe that explains it!! :bangin:

In all seriousness I've used crema from espresso and painted it onto hands to get a very nice effect. Apply the foam and leave it to collapse and migrate to the edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champagne-communist said:

Thx! So basically, paint can be used instead of lume?

yes, not hard to apply either. stick the hands opening on a tooth pick upside down and apply. build up the layers gradually allowing for time to dry. if you accidentally get paint somewhere you dont want you can gently use the broad end of the toothpick to peel it away even when dry. just dont use sandpaper as it will reveal the brass underneath.

heres the iodine and bake treatment i used on this MBW 5513 many years ago. applied to hands and markers.

5615051989_df14f64fd1_o.jpg

couldnt find a pic of the enamel paint relume ive done before but i was way more satisfied with the outcome of acrylic paint than the iodine one.

to give you an idea of what the acrylic ivory paint would look like heres a terrible relume job i did to this dial. YEAH I ALREADY SAID IT WAS BAD. first attempt ever. just picture the texture and color on the hands and no outside the lines. :D

6925672371_6159c30242_b.jpg6925672843_70bd1f884b_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
yes, not hard to apply either. stick the hands opening on a tooth pick upside down and apply. build up the layers gradually allowing for time to dry. if you accidentally get paint somewhere you dont want you can gently use the broad end of the toothpick to peel it away even when dry. just dont use sandpaper as it will reveal the brass underneath.

heres the iodine and bake treatment i used on this MBW 5513 many years ago. applied to hands and markers.

5615051989_df14f64fd1_o.jpg

couldnt find a pic of the enamel paint relume ive done before but i was way more satisfied with the outcome of acrylic paint than the iodine one.

to give you an idea of what the acrylic ivory paint would look like heres a terrible relume job i did to this dial. YEAH I ALREADY SAID IT WAS BAD. first attempt ever. just picture the texture and color on the hands and no outside the lines.

6925672371_6159c30242_b.jpg6925672843_70bd1f884b_b.jpg

Thx for the info buddy! Im testing a 24% vinegar and salt solution now, will post some images later

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the result of first a slight sanding with 240 sandpaper to get those rough scratches and then putting the hands into a vinegar and salt bath for a couple of hours now and then and just having them in the sun. As you can see the corrosion made the scratches darker and the gilt is less shiny. Will experiment more with steel tc hands now. 5f80c0747e554d11658ba8dedf6b5a69.jpg