When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gen DJ case check / opinions

ant1

in short, bought the watch several years ago as a franken, in the original listing had one serial number, and in the process of gathering info for potential resale yesterday, realized the actual serial is different than advertised. it has been to modders since arrival so this is in no way a call out or accusation, could

be a simple misstep and if not gen I'll accept my loss. but don't want to pass it off as gen if it isn't.

the case is a 4.39 serial. ORIG ROLEX DESIGN on opposite end.

from short reading, it sounds like there are RSC Service Cases from the 4-3-4.9 million range , allowing it to possible match the ORIG ROLEX DESIGN designation that is typical of newer serials. but it could all be crap and wanted to double check before I sold something as gen, that isn't.

as it is franken, case was acquired seperate from the bezel, etc, per the sale ad

thanks y'all for any input

bc0fa0b0fb23b3da04d7538c1a93e7f8.jpg

6b8d4783c0baebb5e212eb9c91924509.jpg

3d5dda8527799108650c70510779740a.jpg

0a6afb8de5ffd9ad1c3b78a80b29e548.jpg

fdfd04fff9ed1b271d16589c9cb40e8f.jpg

d44e646d3cd91026d6b71b72c086837d.jpg

caca319e4a49a285bbda18c082348a26.jpg

262e74d804038e0d1c0436e829c96a7f.jpg

7aa18b6533a21ddab27dc53132acc09f.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

From the research I've done trying to get my S/N engraving as close as I can that serial is from 1975 and the case should be marked "REGISTERED DESIGN."  Cases marked with "ORIG ROLEX DESIGN" started around 1982 unless my research is totally wrong...

From the research I've done trying to get my S/N engraving as close as I can that serial is from 1975 and the case should be marked "REGISTERED DESIGN."  Cases marked with "ORIG ROLEX DESIGN" started around 1982 unless my research is totally wrong...

I am nearly 100% ignorant in the knowledge of all this, but that is most definitely correct. The thing that complicates it is according to some sources, there are apparently service cases from the RSC and those actually come inscribed with ORIG ROLEX DESIGN and those serials run from the high 4.3-4.7 range. Causes quite a stir with owners as they get their watch back and the serials now don't match, but yet are associated. Who knows. I will likely withdraw the watch, it is currently for sale, but if it's debatable, don't really want to take the chance of hosing someone and rather just keep the watch if it's gonna take a 2-300 hit in value.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"I suppose a service replacement case would be a possibility..."

I have seen quite a few of these acrylic quick set cases that were badly corroded so there might be some replacements floating around. The replacement cases are 44----- and 47----- iirc.

Since it is a 'Frankenstein' the origin of the case (original or replacement) does not have a whole lot of effect on the value and if the bezel is solid white gold as this type of bezel on a steel watch should be, it will boost the value. I have a high mileage 16014 and I just now looked at it but the serial number is worn off. It still has ORIG ROLEX DESIGN showing on the other end though. Looks like it had a hard life but not much corrosion, I guess that is why I saved it.

Since Frankensteins have no papers or history, this type of watch is basically what the seller says it is within reason and the case looks Ok to me too.

I did some web crawling and this S/N range is in that which was dedicated to replacement cases.  I love it when I can learn new stuffs...

Here's a quote from a Mod at TRF:

All replacement cases known have started with 4,4xxxxx until exhaustion; then they started with 4,7xxxxx.

This also confuses me as this example is a 4,3xxxxx S/N.

A 16030 case would have originally had a SN in the 5.8mil range to the 9 mil range.

But the engravings on that case look good so I'd figure 4.39mil is close enough to be a Rolex replacement case.

As automatico says, the case in a DJ franken isn't that big a deal, the WG bezel looks good , dial is original, DWO is correct and if it's got a good eta movement, it's still an excellent watch.