When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken rotor screw head

Raxford

Hello, just got this from a TD and the rotor screw has been snapped at the head. I'm quite sure the remaining threaded end is still in the movement.

Any advice on how to get it out? TD has offered to send me a new screw but That doesn't help if I can't take the old one out.

Thank you oh wise watch smiths in advance for your unmatched knowledge :)

6d5db7b2ed904697fc93846400b8dfb2.jpg

9ef067186f484a56247594a21b4ea6d0.jpg

f36d0de006598c841a64b181300fee82.jpg

4cef0b34db01911a526d0af4fcaf38ad.jpg

Yup, you will need to replace the bridge plate, and transfer the gears across.  Alternatively, replace the complete bridge with another with gears if you don't think you would manage to transfer the gears yourself.

I have a special broken screw extractor which would get that screw on in no time, its something I use often, but irrelevant to a non-watch repairer.

• Like 1

Yup, you will need to replace the bridge plate, and transfer the gears across.  Alternatively, replace the complete bridge with another with gears if you don't think you would manage to transfer the gears yourself.

I have a special broken screw extractor which would get that screw on in no time, its something I use often, but irrelevant to a non-watch repairer.

Thanks Steel - to be honest while it doesn't sound that complicated I would really hate to mess it up even more. Maybe I should opt to send back the watch?

With the screw head removed like that, there shouldn't be any pressure to hold the broken piece in tight. It should turn with very little pressure.

If you can sharpen a needle to a very fine point you may be able to slowly work the screw out.

• Like 1

im in the UK so probably not much help. im sure there are a few guys in the US who could do the switch for you would be better than sending all the way back to China as it takes a very long time to send back.

That would be great. Maybe there's someone willing to loan me an extractor. I'd buy it from them then they could buy it back. Not sure.

I tried moving the rest of the screw but it's very much in there and it looks like it broke JUST below the top of the plate, so that complicates things :(