When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Caveat Emptor

Pontiaddict

I believe that most of us as members of this site and or others exhibit an effort to discern the very best product offering for the amount of money which we desire to spend, accordingly much effort is expended to define the tiniest of flaws and share that finding with others. But, what if that effort is being thwarted by those that peruse the threads for purposes otherwise?

Example 1.  Last year the excitement regards the release of the Omega SPECTRE LE was palpable, many commenters on the threads expressed a strong desire for the rep and when it became available much was made of both the highlights and the faults.  Relatively quickly multiple version became available and specific indicators of the different versions were identified.

The numeral "5" on the bezel was one such indicator, as quickly as it was identified to buyers, it was hidden from buyers on multiple sales sites.  Sellers began to alter their photos to hide the flaw, using 'paint' or 'PhotoShop' the numeral was painted/covered from view (see photo).  

300df40a-a5b1-4e6e-923c-dc96a3790861_zps

No individual seller can be faulted as many took to this practice, unfortunately it continues...

Example 2.  The new release of another Omega brings the issue back again, an easily identifiable flaw is evidenced in the 2016 PO, the case is engraved "NOF FOR SALE", yes not only is the watch marked as a dealer demo, it is both engraved and spelled incorrectly.  What to do? the sellers have reached into the recent past and taken to PS/Paint again to hide the flaw, TS Intl a TD on many sites painted out all four lugs in an obvious effort to conceal the flaw (see the photo).  

Untouched:

e0e6ede1-87b8-46d6-81bd-ec6700f2d7b2_zps

and the PS/Paint version, notice the color blocks, blow up the pic a bit and you can see the Serial number peeking out of the silver paint:

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-12%20at%201.33.5

Once again as before TS is not alone,  others have produced similar photos ie CT, et al.

I don't peruse all watch models there may well be other examples in the brand you prefer, my hope is twofold, first that we are all aware as buyers and second hopefully that others would use our critique as helpful advise and cease trying to prevent an honest appraisal.  

What say you?

Edited by Pontiaddict

Thanks for the heads up R. 

Correcting a flaw takes time and money. Covering the flaws up in marketing pictures cost minimal time and is relatively effortless. The dealers/factories would of course be happy if someone is willing to spend money and buy up the mistakes.

To deliberately and knowingly cover up known flaws in website pics is deception and misleading, to call a spade a spade. I wonder if the QC pics reflect the flaws hidden otherwise in the website pics, or are the flaws deliberately hidden as well?

Thank you for sharing this with the community. We should not let the dealers/factories deceive us in such a manner, if what you posted proves to be true.

I think what motivated me was regards the SPECTRE watch, many were deceived, as the versions changed they happily posted pictures of the just received V.2 only to learn what they actually bought was a V.1 with an updated nylon strap. There are those that continue to convince themselves otherwise... but back to the current watch; here I post some detail from the above picture.  

I would also like to point out when I mention 'paint' I do mean digital enhancement, not liquid... while this likely goes without say, it is just to clarify.LUG-NOF.pngLUG-SN.pngLug-color block.png

While this could be found in a careful review of the QC pictures, the QC pictures are not sent until after payment has been made.  Once the transaction is complete you would find yourself on the wrong side of a $400 USD or more financial investment.  

My personal experience has been if the QC never measured up I was moved to another product, not a refund.  Of course your experience may differ.

Edited by Pontiaddict

Credit where credit is due, or put another way, why we should stick to Trusted Dealers:
Both Andrew @ Trusty Time and Angus @ PureTime have the above mentioned watch (2016 Planet Ocean Master Chronometer) listed with untouched photos, PureTime has also included a detail photo of the lug bearing the "NOF FOR SALE" engraving.

Well done guys! 

Edited by Pontiaddict

R, I see what you're saying and from the pics it clearly showed the evidence of attempted cover up. I think that this dodgy and unscrupulous practice should be highlighted. Once again thank you for bringing this up.

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.