When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

silencing the Asian 2813 in my 5513

denimhead

So with a beer in hand, last night i decided to see if i could make the 2813 movement in my 5513 a bit quieter. Most of you know that its quite a noisy movement with the bi directional whirring rotor.

So caseback off, then i un screw the rotor and place it on the table. Based on what i've read Applying a very small quantity of silicon grease to the bearings allows smother motion and in theory makes it a bit quiter. I then reach for the beer and the rotor flies onto the kitchen floor proceeding to fall apart!!

I then spend a few minutes flicking the main part onto the tiled floor musing over the pinging sound, and i had a thought:g:perhaps this is the noisy part that resonates the most.

What if i made my own micro rotor a la Universal Geneve, so i re screwed the central part of the rotor to the movement and left off the bit in the picture.

Well all i can say is that i now have a near silent movement, much the same as a gen 1530, which has run for 12 hours so far and kept great time.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that you all start throwing your rotors on the floor, but if it has no ill effect on my watch over the next few days then perhaps this could be a great mod for any 2813 owners who want to silence the bugger.

Cheers DH   

82b8d675-d39e-473a-961e-b01dcafd4fa0.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...