When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartel 1665 GW (new case set) ETA 2836 or 2824?

Time taker

So here's the dilemma.

I have a yuki dial ready to fit and need an ETA movement. I've searched high and low for a 2846 and low beat 287X and I have pretty much given up. I want to move the build on with a 24 or 36 as they are readily available and then switch to low beat if one ever comes available.

I know that most of the cartels are available with a 36 but I would like to fit a TC 2824 if possible. The main problem I can see is the stem height to dial. Would this be an issue? Is there a mod I can use to fit it?

Any info would be appreciated!!

I'm working on using 2824 in a new cartel 5513.  I am not done yet.   From what I understand its just easier to use 2836.    The 2824 is thinner so what I will do is measure total width of the original 2813 with dial and movement ring and simply thicken the movement ring using brass soldered onto the movement ring and shave/sand accordingly.   If the 2824-2 is thinner it should be easy to use them.

It's a good idea to first try the dial and movement you plan to use in the case (with any original spacers) and see how the stem lines up inside the case tube. You do not need hands, date parts or anything, just the movement, spacer, and dial. Most cartel cases are made for eta 2836/46 in my experience.

"Maybe I'm confused but why would thickening the movement ring/ spacer not address stem height?"

A thicker dial spacer can make a 2824 as thick as a 2836 to line the stem up but the canon pinion/hour wheel may be too low and the hands will be too close to the dial. The date wheel may also be too far from the dial depending on the DWO thickness. The TC 2824 comes with higher cp/hour wheel etc.

"I've searched high and low for a 2846 and low beat 287X and I have pretty much given up."

I used a nos swiss eta 2879 a while back and it worked Ok in place of a 2846 with dial foot holes in the same location and same hand sizes...at least it worked for a no date project '1016' using genuine 16220 case. I have not tried one with a DW overlay yet but the DW spacer on a 2879 is made on the top plate (not removable) and the dial might be too close to a DWO.

There are still two nos 2879 on eBay as of today but they will need c/o.  Item number 172211526543

• 3 months later...

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=ETA2846Y&Category_Code=2Move_Manu_ETA-z19

here's a 2846-2 from startime- I think they've started selling to hobbyist- they email me all the time but gave me a ration of you know what when I tried to open an account 3 years ago.

Startime also has hands, Tudor like for eta, as does Clarks or TC 

19 hours ago, alligoat said:

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=ETA2846Y&Category_Code=2Move_Manu_ETA-z19

here's a 2846-2 from startime- I think they've started selling to hobbyist- they email me all the time but gave me a ration of you know what when I tried to open an account 3 years ago.

Startime also has hands, Tudor like for eta, as does Clarks or TC 

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if the hands will fit a ETA 2879 as well?