When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What wearing a $6,000 Rolex for a month taught a 24-year-old about wealth and status

netniet

"I quickly realized that the only reason you should buy and wear an expensive watch is because you want to — not because you're trying to impress"

That is what I have always believed. Other than my watch buddies hardly anyone notices my watch. 

Straight to the point. Excellent share, thanks for the link.

I too experienced the pride ... not worth the hope nor the money.
And indeed nobody ever noticed whatever I wore anyway except you guys at various GTGs 

My personal pride now is my rep of the Great White and my Tissot @200$ :clap2:
I don't even wear the few remaining others from my initial ridiculously large collection :rudolph:

Nice article, but the author missed 2 minor details - most people who see a Rolex either do not like Rolexes, so they say nothing, or do like Rolexes & are too embarrassed to acknowledge that they cannot afford to own 1. Or, considering the author normally wears a $60 Seiko he bought on Amazon, people think it is a cheap fake & simply think he is a wanker.

"..or do like Rolexes & are too embarrassed to acknowledge that they cannot afford to own 1."

The truth is I am embarrassed to wear a genuine rolex now. If and when I ever wear a genuine rolex watch (a rare occurrence), I look down at it and tend to see the watch as an overly expensive and famous timepiece but the attitude of the company behind it absolutely kills any thrill. It makes me want to pull a sleeve down over it.

Well said automatico.  This is why I don't wear "new" Rolex, and stick entirely to vintages.  They hearken back to earlier days when the company had different priorities.  Although, I doubt many people today would look at an old Rolex and "get it" about the statement it makes compared to new bling / new corporate priorities.

He spends much of the article whining about how no one really noticed it and feigning guilt over a belief that he would somehow be treated differently but wasn't.

The problem with that is he chose a modern Rolex Explorer. No offense to Rolex or those that own one (I have a 1016 after all), but the vast majority of people wouldn't recognize that watch as a) a Rolex, and b ) an expensive watch.

His experience would likely have been much different with a Daytona, DateJust or Sub, all of which are easily identifiable by just about anyone as a Rolex. I never have anyone say a word to me about my 1016 (which I wear more than anything else by far), but regularly get asked about my DateJust and 6263. Even my LV Sub gets noticed occasionally, mainly because the bezel is green.

The author pretty much sums up what I have been saying for years. People just don't give a damn about what someone else is wearing (women excluded, as they notice everything!!!). Most people can't tell a Rolex from a Timex. They see that beautiful AP ROO on your wrist, and to them it looks a whole lot like the big chunky watches they see for sale at the watch counters in mall department stores. The only folks who will notice and may or may not comment are fellow WIS, who honestly are pretty few and far between. And like the young fellow said, if you are not knowledgable, better to stay silent. I would bet, in most circles, one would get more comments wearing nanug's Mickey Mouse watch than they would wearing any stainless steel black dial watch, be it a Rolex sub, an AP diver or a Blancpain FF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm with most of you who replied here. I've always said that people who really know watches are few and far between. I've seen so many people who claim to be "watch people" but think Michael Kors and Fossil are expensive luxury watches. I've worn watches that have caught their eye, yet they don't recognize the brand when they see Tag Heuer or Breitling or Montblanc. I know this not only because i see it, but because when I first got into watches I was like that too! As a child I thought Rolex was the end all and be all of luxury watches. When I began to learn how deeply the watch world went, I started being disgusted by those "watch people". 

That's why I only wear watches because I love them. I couldn't care less who knows what's on my wrist. I stay out of watch conversations. I don't make an effort to show anyone my watches. I will accept a compliment, but it ends at thank you.

My watch is for making me happy. Not for impressing someone else.

I didn't like the article and also didn't relate to it. Maybe he needs to get some more friends that appreciate nice watches. Don't get me wrong I buy watches for me, I love them. However wearing a great watch always makes me feel more confident. Jeans, cons, t-shirt don't make you feel that special when you are about to walk out the door but you add one hell of a watch and you get a little pep in your step. I also think people do notice it and do treat you a little different. Agree with the comments above, modern rolex explorer is not gonna turn heads. He should get a yellow gold DD and rerun the experiment. I guarantee a different outcome

On 7/21/2016 at 6:54 PM, Nanuq said:

Well said automatico.  This is why I don't wear "new" Rolex, and stick entirely to vintages.  They hearken back to earlier days when the company had different priorities.  Although, I doubt many people today would look at an old Rolex and "get it" about the statement it makes compared to new bling / new corporate priorities.

Nanuq, have you tried the modern Black Bay out? I feel like the black bezeled one with the red triangle has a lot of mojo.

And honestly, I like the Black Bay sort of for similar reasons explored in that article...

I like the Black Bay because it's a very good rep of a gen watch that I could actually buy.

Most vintage Rollie stuff is just too expensive as gen for a lot of us younger guys to try and pull off.

It's why I don't have a PN Daytona. I love the PN, think it might be the nicest-looking watch I've ever seen besides maybe vintage Pateks.

But there's no way in the world, not even close, that i could get away with wearing a 50-100k watch.

Just because nobody says anything, does not mean people didn't notice it. I notice watches every day and never say a word. But first of all, he picks about the least ostentatious watch on the planet. I would think if he'd picked an Avenger, Panera, Graham or Hublot, the reaction he would have gotten would be quite different. I think its quite noble that so many people buy watches for their own enjoyment, but personally I think thats a crock. People like to be noticed, there is nothing wrong with that.