When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Parts will soon rule the world...

automatico

...the watch world that is.

The RWG Regulars know I am always harping about the "No Parts For You" policies from the major (and minor) watch companies and it seems parts will truly rule the watch world sooner than later. For example, look how much this 1970s rolex movement went for...eBay item number   272311807484   I bought a complete running watch (ref 1500) a few months back with the same movement for less than half that much. Check the asking price for this movement:  eBay item number 371691224177

Another example...I have a tutone rolex 15053 'oyster perpetual date' aka 'OPD' (cal 3035) time head on a strap, fresh cleaned with new crystal, mainspring, crown, and hands, no case corrosion at all...I was asking $1250 for it and I often see bare movements (that probably need cleaning) on eBay selling for that much or more. I do not look for vintage parts prices to drop because rolex is rapidly cutting off parts for older models while at the same time vintage models are more popular than ever since rolex went Bling! with their later designs. Imho most of the new stuff looks like Fido's azz.

Parts is Parts...
Crowns for instance...I still have 80 or 90 nos genuine rolex crowns in blister packs from 1990/2000, mostly steel 5.3mm and 6.0mm plus a few gold in the same sizes. They cost $20 for steel and $35 for gold back when I bought them and now they are going for around $100 each for steel and $125 for gold because rolex no longer sells to shops except for a select few. I saw somewhere that they force 'authorized' repair shops to supply serial numbers for watches they need parts for so they can not sell parts 'out the back door'...do not know if this is true or not but I would not doubt it. As for 7mm submariner crowns, I have 6 or 8 in ss (cost $35 new) and 2 or 3 in gold ($65 new). Now the ss crowns are going for around $125 and gold for $200+.  Also have over 150 used crowns aka 'take offs' from years past and now they are going for $25 and up. It's a Good Thing I kept them.

Besides simply cutting the parts supply back more and more, it seems they (rolex for example) are raising service costs every year. With the world wide downturn in watch sales, I look for the majors to cut back more and more on parts and keep jacking $ervice price$ forcing watch owners to use 'official repair depots' because of their NPFU policies.

Since I bought the crowns, rolex made a design change to what they call 'monoblock' style crowns that are solid ss or gold and not caps over a nickel silver base like older models. So now if someone wants a nos crown to keep their vintage watch 'original', I have the parts.
Bend 'em over.   :pimp:

No Parts For You and ever rising watch prices are what drove me to F-steins/replicas and now I am rapidly tiring of the hassle of working on mechanical watches in general. Maybe after years of it, I am finally wising up.
Any comments on the parts situation?

You may be pleased to hear that I read in a recent copy of WatchTime that, due to slowing global sales, ETA has reversed its 'No parts to 3rd-parties' policy & begun shipping limited numbers of parts to old customers who had previously been cut-off.

Supply & demand..........the cure that works.

'Swatch Group is believed to be lumbered with a huge excess of movements in light of the downturn of the Swiss watch industry and the resulting decrease in demand for such movements. Plus watch brands around the world had already been seeking alternatives to ETA after the 2013 deal with Weko was announced, or in some cases actually developing their own movement production capacities. Subsequently, Swatch Group is keen to sell off its excess supply of stock, which is why it has opened up discussions with Weko again.'
ETA hopes for leeway on phasing out of movement supply

My supplier of ETA parts laughed when I asked him if they were having any problems getting parts. Make of that what you wish, I have had no problems.

I blame eBay for the inflation of Rolex parts. If you talk to the 'right' people, you can get parts at reasonable prices.

1 hour ago, ceejay said:

My supplier of ETA parts laughed when I asked him if they were having any problems getting parts. Make of that what you wish, I have had no problems.

I blame eBay for the inflation of Rolex parts. If you talk to the 'right' people, you can get parts at reasonable prices.

Oh for sure. You can put a cal.3135 for $1500 if you know the right people :)

eBay is retaaahded when it comes to pricing and parts. I'd be loathe to pay some of those prices. Out of packaging funky looking things for $$$$ no thanks.

2 hours ago, automatico said:

I hope it brings them to their knees.    :balloon:

"Supply & demand..........the cure that works."

You are right.  Supply and Demand basically rules the world. 

I can understand the attraction to that font. It does look elegant, but take pity on those of us using iPads and iPhones please.

Parts are hard to come by, even for my authorized dealer friends. It is true that rolex requires serial numbers, unless you buy $3-$5000 a month. Then, they are not so strict. Of course if they like you, you can about anything you want. lol

"I blame eBay for the inflation of Rolex parts."

Yeah eBay is partly to blame but RWC is the main culprit no doubt. I also blame VRF for some of the inflated vintage parts prices because it is basically just a 'gentleman's' rolex parts mart' but they will skin you alive (in a gentlemanly manner) if you do not shop around. For later stuff (3035/3135 era), eBay and VRF are close to the same looks to me. All the 'bargains' I have snagged in the past couple years came from eBay. For example, a nos complete 1570 autowind assembly for $305.00 rotor and all (saw one 'like new' on VRF for a 1520 at over $500), a 1530 aw bridge in fine condition for $22.50, super nice no corrosion 5500AK case for $118.00, rolex 1570 balance complete for $153.00, nos 1665 complete helium valve assembly for $48, and a few other odds and cods.  Oh yeah...and a new with B/P Invicta (!!) steel 'Pro Diver' swiss Eta 7750 chronograph ref. 12182 for $316, less than a new movement. Hee Haw!  What the heck am I going to do with it? I sure ain't gonna wear it 'cause it is too big...and it has a huge white strap. White!

https://www.invictawatch.com/watches/detail/12182-invicta-pro-diver-men-47mm-stainless-steel-blue-stainless-steel-blue-dial-7750-automatic

1520 aw assembly:   http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1470237490/FS-+Cal.1520+Auto-Wind+Module%2C+Complete%2C+Near+Mint

"If you talk to the 'right' people, you can get parts at reasonable prices."

Yep and I do not know the right people any longer except misiekped and he helped me out a time or two.

As for Eta, they may have to soften their NPFU stance in order to get rid of excess inventory.  All the swiss watch companies show teeth, guts, and nuts during good times but when the bottom falls out of sales they cry like little babies. 

I cry crocodile tears for them. Not!  They can drown in their own Moebius as far as I am concerned.   :clap2:

3 hours ago, automatico said:

Yeah eBay is partly to blame but RWC is the main culprit no doubt. I also blame VRF for some of the inflated vintage parts prices because it is basically just a 'gentleman's' rolex parts mart' but they will skin you alive (in a gentlemanly manner) if you do not shop around. For later stuff (3035/3135 era), eBay and VRF are close to the same looks to me. All the 'bargains' I have snagged in the past couple years came from eBay. For example, a nos complete 1570 autowind assembly for $305.00 rotor and all (saw one 'like new' on VRF for over $500), a 1530 aw bridge in fine condition for $22.50, super nice no corrosion 5500AK case for $118.00, rolex 1570 balance complete for $153.00, nos 1665 complete helium valve assembly for $48, and a few other odds and cods.

I think that is because members of the Rolex specialty sites know the value of genuine, Rolex branded parts, while many ebay members do not. At the same time, ebay sellers often part with things because they need the money (so are willing to accept less than current value), while Rolex collectors sell to thin collections or because they have duplicates (so are able to hold out for premium returns). That is why you are considerably more likely to find a Rolex bargain on ebay vs VRF.