When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

July 29 2016

freddy333

11 minutes ago, Nanuq said:

Picture it... that amp, a sensitive pair of Klipsch, and some nice espresso. That's a Friday to remember.

Interestingly, the fellow that owned the company (sadly, now defunct) that made those amps made a smaller (triode) version specifically for Klipsch speakers. My speakers are not very efficient, so it cannot play loud. But, then, I am not a headbanger, so it has never been a problem.

Oh & nice timepiece.:thumbs:

Didn't Paul Klipsch say anything over 10 watts was wasted?  I've got a set at home and they're devastatingly loud at 10 watts... really they're working too hard.  But my AR90s won't even get out of bed for 10 watts. 

Try to find a good copy of Le Quattro Stagioni  with I Musici, Vittorio Negri and Pina Carmirelli, and let that OTL breathe. 

8 minutes ago, Nanuq said:

Didn't Paul Klipsch say anything over 10 watts was wasted?

Try to find a good copy of Le Quattro Stagioni  with I Musici, Vittorio Negri and Pina Carmirelli, and let that OTL breathe. 

I think I've got a Phillips copy of that. I'll have to rummage around & see.
As for Klipsch's 10 watts, that sounds about right - both his comment & the waste.
Not to deviate too far off topic, I attended an audio show recently & they had a set of 5-way horns running in this 1 room that was being driven by this very high-end Japanese-made 2-watt triode amp that I had never heard of before (I used to be in the business, so that is saying something). They were driving the system from a studio master tape, so that has to be taken into account, but it was not only 1 of the most beautiful systems of the show (& there were many that could claim that title), but also 1 of the best sounding systems I have ever heard. I wish I could remember the name of the speakers. Maybe it will come to me..

I just received a pic of the speaker. I was mistaken that it was a 5-way (I confused it with another speaker). It appears to be a 2- or 3-way, but, boy, was it sweet.
Another friend just told me the amp may have been an experimental prototype from AudioNote, which you may have heard of.

Image2.jpg

8 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Didn't Paul Klipsch say anything over 10 watts was wasted?  I've got a set at home and they're devastatingly loud at 10 watts... really they're working too hard.  But my AR90s won't even get out of bed for 10 watts. 

McIntosh & B&W here. Maybe that's where all my money went :bangin:

7 hours ago, freddy333 said:

I think I've got a Phillips copy of that. I'll have to rummage around & see.
As for Klipsch's 10 watts, that sounds about right - both his comment & the waste.
Not to deviate too far off topic, I attended an audio show recently & they had a set of 5-way horns running in this 1 room that was being driven by this very high-end Japanese-made 2-watt triode amp that I had never heard of before (I used to be in the business, so that is saying something). They were driving the system from a studio master tape, so that has to be taken into account, but it was not only 1 of the most beautiful systems of the show (& there were many that could claim that title), but also 1 of the best sounding systems I have ever heard. I wish I could remember the name of the speakers. Maybe it will come to me..

You should have seen the look on the guys face from Sony when I asked him to shut off the Wilson Audio Watt Puppy's they were using in conjunction with their SXRD (old I know) projector demonstration. Everyone's hair was standing up from the speakers, which translated into adrenaline and hopefully projector sales... he wasn't thrilled when I asked for a silent demonstration of the projector. Cedia 2003, Vegas, I believe. 

13 minutes ago, 508-Fanatic said:

McIntosh & B&W here. Maybe that's where all my money went :bangin:

You should have seen the look on the guys face from Sony when I asked him to shut off the Wilson Audio Watt Puppy's they were using in conjunction with their SXRD (old I know) projector demonstration. Everyone's hair was standing up from the speakers, which translated into adrenaline and hopefully projector sales... he wasn't thrilled when I asked for a silent demonstration of the projector. Cedia 2003, Vegas, I believe. 

Which Mac & B&W? I have sold/owned both.
I have heard the Puppy's twice (in unfamiliar environments), but I think you would have to be tone deaf not to appreciate the technology that went into them.
So did you buy the Sony projector?

12 minutes ago, freddy333 said:

Which Mac & B&W? I have sold/owned both.
I have heard the Puppy's twice (in unfamiliar environments), but I think you would have to be tone deaf not to appreciate the technology that went into them.
So did you buy the Sony projector?

We ordered a few for the store, it was a solid piece. The biggest mistake Sony ever made though was gussying up for the "Qualia" line....

MC452 and 803d's in stereo. Grew up surrounded by good HiFi and Opera/Classical music. 

Honestly with kids though, I mostly am glued to my AKG cans.