RWG
tyche

Creasing leather shoes

Hi guys!

I just bought leather sneakers and after 2 hours of wear I can already see some creasing:

1z2osvd.jpg

Is this normal ? This is my first pair of expensive leather sneakers so I'm not sure what to expect. If they already crease after 2 hours, won't they look super bad after a week? Would be bummed if I spent 395€ on a pair of shoes that look worn out after a week.

I took a half size bigger than usual to make sure they fit properly. But I do have wide feet so that might be the problem...

Can someone enlighten me: is this normal? How to prevent or maybe solve it? 

thanks !

Yes it's normal

Use wooden shoe trees and a premium shoe cream.

Or don't wear the shoes if you want to keep them mint...

Shoe trees are a must, but idk about fitting them with sneakers. That said, I bought some bad-ass Venetian Cream from Daluca for watch-straps and I rubbed some of it into an old pair of Allen Edmond's loafers and it worked REALLY well... so there's that. Keep the leather supple and moist.

eBay has very reasonably priced cedar shoe trees but use caution - there are several sellers out of China who don't send the trees and give buyers the runaround when trying to find out what's up.

Check feedback.

Certainly you can buy locally but I found they were around $120 per pair, compared to $35-ish.

Try to avoid wearing them everyday, let them dry for a day before wearing them again.

Agree 100% - shoes need to rest. I have pairs exceeding 10 years old that still look great.

Might be sending the shoes back btw, a bit bummed out about the creasing :fool: paid 395€ for them cause i tought they were perfect 

Holy [censored] that's a lot of money. But all shoes crease. It's a sign of being worn

What brand were these again? That's a shit ton of money to spend on casual shoes. I've spent a few hundred bucks on some Allen Edmond's and Peale & Co, but damn dude... some expensive kicks. Those are for serious business and worn only with suits (infrequently) they sit nicely polished, shoe-trees in on a cedar rack else-wise. 

Other than that I wear a pair of slip-on semi-casual Ecco's with amazing gel in-soles. So f'in comfy.

They are Givenchy shoes. & yeah it's not cheap but I hope they will last a few years, if they do last a few years it's a good investment. That's why I was a bit bothered with the creasing, wanted to keep them perfect as long as possible.

& awesome ! I love Allen Edmond shoes, need to buy me some :D 

As a sneaker addict (I own a bunch of special edition Nike/Adidas/Puma/Reebok/Asics and a couple of high-end leather ones like Common Projects and Filling Pieces), through the years I found some ways to keep your sneakers clean and nice. People come up to me asking if I have new shoes on when in reality they're already three years  old and worn a lot of times. Some tips:

• Shoes are like shirts/pants/etc: they need a rest. If you wear the same shirt everyday of the week and wash it just as many times it's going to last three months. Give your shoes a rest. Put some nice ceddar shoe trees (not plastic!) in them while not wearing them. This gives the leather a chance to come back to it's original shape, and sucks up moist in your shoes. Sir Beecs has some nice shoe trees.
  • Clean them regularly (Jason Markk has some nice products for sneakers, Saphir Medaille d'Or has nice products for suede/nubuck/leather aimed at dress type shoes, but I also use them on my leather sneakers besides my oxfords and derbys). Always clean them by hand using a brush (there are different types of brushes for different material), never use a washing machine. It's important do to this regularly as the dirt that builds up will eventually dry out and penetrate the fabric. It will therefore be harder to get off.
  • Protect them with a protector spray before you wear them the first time (Jason Markk Repel or Crep Protect works great as a dust/dirt/water repellent)
  • The amount of creasing is dependant on the quality of the leather and how you treat your shoes. Eventually they will crease. But there are tricks you can do with an iron to get them back out (check Youtube), but it's a temporary fix. There's also a prodct called Sneaker Shields (wearable flexible plastic shoe/toebox trees, but I've never tried them).
  • I always have one pair of sneakers in my car I only use to go to dirty places. When you're at a place where you realise your sneakers will look like [censored] at the and of the night, I get those out. You won't feel bad when they get dirty, they were meant for these type of events ;)
[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On 8/1/2016 at 11:07 AM, seriph said:

Holy [censored] that's a lot of money. But all shoes crease. It's a sign of being worn

To be honest I do not think we as watch community here are in the position to make this statement.

I also would never pay that much for (sneaker)-shoes, but I am prepared to spend occasionally big bucks for an expensive watch. 

Other people might have the same kind of interests as us but instead of putting luxury watches on watch winders they store expensive sneakers in huge lockers. 

My opinion that these are very expensive sneakers references the idea that just because they're expensive won't stop them from creasing. It's not a judgement on the OP. People can spend their hard-earneds however they want. My opinion on the shoes stand, not as a member of a watch forum but as someone who wears shoes. And I guess because I hoped to reassure the guy that all shows crease, even my GBP800 bespoke pair.

BTW That's a }#}{€load of money to pay for the shoes. :)

8 hours ago, seriph said:

My opinion that these are very expensive sneakers references the idea that just because they're expensive won't stop them from creasing. It's not a judgement on the OP. People can spend their hard-earneds however they want. My opinion on the shoes stand, not as a member of a watch forum but as someone who wears shoes. And I guess because I hoped to reassure the guy that all shows crease, even my GBP800 bespoke pair.

BTW That's a }#}{€load of money to pay for the shoes. :)

All leather shoes crease, but the quality of the leather does make a big difference. Some of my shoes started after 30 minutes, others barely crease after 6 months of wearing.

All leather shoes crease, but the quality of the leather does make a big difference. Some of my shoes started after 30 minutes, others barely crease after 6 months of wearing.

Yeah softer, more supple leathers make a big difference. I guess it is a constant trade off between longevity and comfort.

Thanks for all the comments ! Forgot this topic existed for a while :p I have worn the shoes a lot of times by now and they did crease but it bothers me less than I tought it would :) they still look great !

It's a sign they're being worn :) if you saw what I just bought for working in my shed you'd smile.

Aquila 1958 series, handmade Italian boots. Yup. For the shed.

I brought them home and told wifey. She looked at them and sighed. "God you're a bloody dandy!" She declared.

We had a laugh. The next day she had transferred the cost into my bank account. What a girl :)

https://goo.gl/images/1c8FNW

Here's how you prevent creases... semi-rigid crampons. :tu:

d7b9cdd2e88d88fa2137b86ec7cb1540.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.