When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dealing with Phong

dbane883

As I've mentioned before, dealing with Phong can be a frustrating experience. I asked him to see what he has in the way of a 5512 case and he said he has a good example and asked for a serial to engrave. I asked several times to send me pics prior to shipping and 3 days later I receive a DHL package.

I open it up and immediately sense that something is off. Maybe it's just me, but do these lugholes look a tad large to you?? My gen 5512 case on bottom, phong on top:

b79a36c66a1e28fdf566237ecdc471b3.jpg

9e921210393a4c6a0775b72ef7108f3e.jpg

2caba8b6bb7c0d07a88466ddfc44e21d.jpg

Seriously Phong?? Are you blind?

After exchanging 10 emails where he continues to claim the holes are gen spec (1.25mm), he finally agrees to replace it. I am sending him a proper 1.25mm bit so he can compare to the 1.4-1.5mm he obviously used.

This isn't the first time I've had to exchange cases. Sometimes one has to do this 2-3 times cause he can be a dumbass. So much easier if he just sends QC pics first, but he rarely does.

But overall, his cases are still the best IMO though (when he gets it right) .

Are those holes tapered?  Sure looks like it from the pictures.

He's a tricky one.  I've had him do magic for me, and I've had him attempt to bend me over.  I'm lucky (sorry guys) I can play the "Admin at RWG" card and get him to pay attention to my complaints.  I know that's not right nor fair, but it helps.

Sometimes.  :inverted:

• Like 1

Had the same thing happened

Asked for QC pics and received the case directly. Wrong on every points. Sent it back and got refunded after the second attempt.

His cases are the best, for sure. On every aspects. And he's a true magician when motivated and sometimes can justify his crazy prices

But sometimes, his job is not great and he does not seem to care much. Don't know if it is always the same guy lol, because the work performed can be so different from one month to an other .. never figured out how it can be.

7 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Are those holes tapered?  Sure looks like it from the pictures.

I dont think they are tapered, just poorly polished..  I asked him to NOT polish it and further, I asked him to NOT apply any bevels...  but maybe this is the way they come from vietnam, where I suspect his factory is.    Also, the lughole locations can be somewhat inconsistent.  I'd actually prefer a raw case with no holes, no bevels, no satin and I would finish it myself.   Regardless, this is most likely the last phong project so I will just bear it out.

1 hour ago, jmb said:

Since this case is ruined, unless welded and re-drilled, see if you can get it dirt cheap and install fixed bars for a Milsub project...

Not a bad idea, except this is an early 60's 5512 with PCG.   

"As others have said, Phong is a hit-or-miss affair."

Imho most of the characters we have to deal with in this goofball hobby are this way.  DW for instance.  In my experience Yuki seems to be the most consistent and reliable, not the highest grade maybe, but dependable.  Otoh, I have a Phong 1655 case from 4 or 5 years ago that is first class but that is the only Phong case I ever had. 

In general, if someone wants something done right...they have to learn to do it themselves, dbane bevels for instance.  I say this because anyone who wants extraordinary work should not expect it from someone who turns out good work one time and shoddy work the next.  Frankenstein builders must also come to terms with the fact that they can not make a genuine watch using replica parts...case, dial, and bracelet come to mind, not to mention clone movements.  The watch may appear to be genuine but it is not, and in reality it really makes little difference until it is put up for sale.  Otoh again, I have noticed many posters on the 'Serious Collector' forums (VRF etc) are getting more suspicious every week and are not as sure as they used to be in knowing if their precious vintage watch is 100% genuine or maybe only 90% genuine because the lines are rapidly getting blurred by higher quality replica and generic parts.

edit 8-6:  "So this man ask $$$ for random bad cases..."

Anyone could see those shotgun barrel lug holes from 2 feet away.  When someone worries about one of their projects with a $200 case not being as close to genuine in appearance as they would like...just remember $1200+ cases can turn out to be like this one.

"Also, the lughole locations can be somewhat inconsistent."

I find this in replica cases from many sources.  I have to resort to curved spring bars, reshaped hood tops, inner tubes being removed etc...it's all hit or miss.  That's why I bore lug holes to 1.3mm...so curved spring bars will not be in a bind.

"maybe this is the way they come from vietnam, where I suspect his factory is."

Probably.  I wonder if this is where Yuki cases come from? 

I'm pretty sure DW cases came from J C Whitney.  :pimp: 

• Like 3

Shoot!! That's bad!

Phong is seriously overrated.

Don't know why everyone says that his cases are 1:1 gen spec?! No they ain't!! Have you seen the thick CGs and lugs on pretty much ALL his cases?!!

I could post at least x5 pics of different phong 5512/5513/1665 cases where the CGs are chunky as f""k and yet everyone is saying that his [censored] is gen spec.

It's practically impossible to get him to rework the cases before shipping as you get the standard "no, nothing wrong with it....it gen spec"

Feels pretty painful to offload $1500 for a supposedly 1:1 case only to find out that you have to pay a modder another $200 to make the CGs look remotely genuine. Arghhhh.

• Like 1

Shoot!! That's bad!

Phong is seriously overrated.

Don't know why everyone says that his cases are 1:1 gen spec?! No they ain't!! Have you seen the thick CGs and lugs on pretty much ALL his cases?!!

I could post at least x5 pics of different phong 5512/5513/1665 cases where the CGs are chunky as f""k and yet everyone is saying that his [censored] is gen spec.

It's practically impossible to get him to rework the cases before shipping as you get the standard "no, nothing wrong with it....it gen spec"

Feels pretty painful to offload $1500 for a supposedly 1:1 case only to find out that you have to pay a modder another $200 to make the CGs look remotely genuine. Arghhhh.

I agree with all u said above but what other choices do we have?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I agree with all u said above but what other choices do we have?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I know what you mean man.

I've also tried MQ and yuki. Their cases also require rework (like phong) but yuki costs half the price of phong.

MQ is typically $200-300 cheaper than phong (but his communication is all over the place).

So one could potentially buy a cheaper yuki or MQ case and have the CGs/lugs reworked?

Best bet is actually trying to convince phong that his CGs need thinning before shipment.

• Like 1

I really don't understand this whole dilemma. I was a machinist for over twenty years (from before CNC was the norm). Every dimension today is programmed into the computer - I just can't understand how there can be this much "hit or miss" variation.

B

• Like 2

i recently got another phong 16520 case.  The last 2 i got from him had to be sent back and re-worked because my watchmaker said that the movement wouldn't seat into the case properly.  According to my watchmaker- engaging the chrono would have shifted the movement and sheared the pusher pin.  Sent those back to phong and installed movements worked perfectly.

Anybody know- is this a common flaw with phong daytona cases?  Weird that I happen to get 2 and both had the same issue.