When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dealing with Phong

dbane883

So I am in communication with laser design to see if they could scan a gen case and provide chris with some type of CAD file. 

I sent over some pics of the case and LD is going to get back to me with a quote. We still to find a way to get a case. Do 5513s use the same case as 1665s?

Here is the response from them, 

"We frequently scan parts like this. I helped a customer with a project last year where we scanned the housing and the bezel and generated Parametric Solidworks 2014 models that came with a feature tree.

Do you need a “dumb solid” model such as .IGS or .STP? That would be a cheaper price compared to a Parametric Model (that comes with a feature history tree that you can edit) which we’d deliver in some native program such as Solidworks."

We can make this happen guys, just need a case.

By the way, I got another email from the company. The cost of scanning and producing either one of these files would be around $1000.

So I am in communication with laser design to see if they could scan a gen case and provide chris with some type of CAD file. 

I sent over some pics of the case and LD is going to get back to me with a quote. We still to find a way to get a case. Do 5513s use the same case as 1665s?

Nope the 1665 has he valve in the case. I believe 1680 and 5513 are same. So what case are we talking about doing here??

1 hour ago, Turbo350z said:

Nope the 1665 has he valve in the case. I believe 1680 and 5513 are same. So what case are we talking about doing here??

I think not quite the same. I know there is half a millimetre indifference in the dial diameter. I don't know if there is any major shape difference. Maybe it would be possible to have a 5513 scanned and do a separate file with the half millimetre for 1680?

Got to pick one for a start. In time I hope to see a selection of decent cases. Maybe other brands might like to play too in the long term. This could be a watershed, if we need a subscription I'm in whatever case is modelled.

• Like 1

so this just got more interesting. The company I am talking to already has a 3D scan of the daytona case. Now Im trying to convince them to sell us the file but because it was done for another customer, they have proprietary right to it. He is going to check and see if the other party is willing to sell it to us.

But again this is for the daytona.

89e1d6e7-ee09-448e-8a92-ab70ac331b81.jpe

• Like 1

so this just got more interesting. The company I am talking to already has a 3D scan of the daytona case. Now Im trying to convince them to sell us the file but because it was done for another customer, they have proprietary right to it. He is going to check and see if the other party is willing to sell it to us.

89e1d6e7-ee09-448e-8a92-ab70ac331b81.jpeg

Can you ask how much they would charge for a scan like this and whether they'd do any volume discounts (e.g. Scanning 5 different cases) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, slay said:
Can you ask how much they would charge for a scan like this and whether they'd do any volume discounts (e.g. Scanning 5 different cases)

Prices mentioned above. $1000 for a scan. Now I am interested in buying the right for this scanned file. That might be cheaper and easier.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

89e1d6e7-ee09-448e-8a92-ab70ac331b81.jpeg

Amazing what can be Done when they community bands together.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, champagne-communist said:

Is there any info on how much the CNC work will cost?

I havent gotten that quote but from my preliminary conversations, anywhere from $400 to $600. 

Guys I think there is a reason why cases, even like Phong's, cost so much. They do take some investment and you have to make a ROI otherwise it wouldnt make any sense doing it. Now I dont mind paying $1000 to $1200 for a case that is actually 1:1. I will happily pay that any day but for that sort of money I do expect a true 1:1 case. 

I'd start with the model that is the most popular and then an accessible case. Even if we found a gen. case, if there isn't a demand for it, it's not worth it.

Opinions will be divided!

5513 for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can say this.  I got two great 5513's from Phongs son and a 1680 from phongs son.  My 16800 from Phong himself came out terrible,  He put it as a 3135 so I had to source a 3135 instead and used my 3035 in a build that came out amazing a 16803.  So I was a bit angry at the father.  The case before that I ordered a 16610 case and he messed up the holes for the bracelet and had to redo it.  I am sticking with the son.

I havent gotten that quote but from my preliminary conversations, anywhere from $400 to $600. 

Guys I think there is a reason why cases, even like Phong's, cost so much. They do take some investment and you have to make a ROI otherwise it wouldnt make any sense doing it. Now I dont mind paying $1000 to $1200 for a case that is actually 1:1. I will happily pay that any day but for that sort of money I do expect a true 1:1 case. 

400-600 per case just for CNC? That's ridiculous! If you have the file, you can easily find a vendor on Alibaba who charges 5-15$ (depending on tolerances), but the minimum order quantity is usually very high (> 1000 pcs)

The reason why phongs cases cost so much is because they charge so much, because we are paying so much and because there hasn't been anyone else who thought it would be worthwhile to compete on price.

Prices mentioned above. $1000 for a scan. Now I am interested in buying the right for this scanned file. That might be cheaper and easier.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

$1000 for the scan is totally doable. Spread out over only 100 cases that's only $10 per case. Nothing. Let's get a good quote on a CNC job for 100 cases and get this show on the road. My vote is 1675 PCG. You'd sell 100 in a blink because no one makes a decent one and it's a crazy popular watch.