When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Winder stem on DSSD with A2836 movement

richard591

Can anyone illuminate this one please.

I have two DSSD's with A2836 movemements. Best is the noob V6s DSSD D-Blue and the other an older version (non noob). Both are very nice.

My question is concerning the interchangeability of the movements watch to watch in case of problems in the future. The one I would obviously preserve out of preference would be the noob V6s. It's by far the superior case. so questions are as follows:-

1. I know that the winder stem tubes do vary in size and I can see that the noob V6s has the larger (like gen) tube fitted. However, is the winder stem exactly the same size/design regardless in order to fit the (I assume standard) A2836 movement for this particular watch application?

2. From what I can see, the A2836 movement seems to be fairly standard and fitted in a very wide range of reps. Looking at the movements themselves, they both seem identical and for the DSSD's all the retaining parts, such as screws (2 number) plus the movement retaining collets and retaining rings all seem identical. Therefore it seems to me that the only critical difference would be in the winder stem itself. However, if the internals of the movement are identical, then I assume the profile of the stem must be standard?

3. Both watches are new, but from different sources, and I'm not sure if the winder stem sizes might have changed in the past few years. It seems to me that to produce and sell these reps for the money charged (particularly in view of the quality of the casework) everything should to be relatively standardised with finished movements picked out of a bin of finished items and just assembled very quickly. Only variation being watch type (therfore winder length perhaps) and face/dial.

In my ideal world, if anything went wrong with the V6s, I would like to just be able to switch the movements over. Before anyone asks "why would you sacrifice the other watch"? It's simply because the noob will be the most worn. It was the second purchase and frankly if I'd seen the noob first I'd not have bought the other one as the detail on the noob is all you could ask - 120 click bezel with very accurate "feel", Rolex etched crown at 6 o-clock and superb casework and bracelet. And I say all that comparing it to my genuine Submariner.

Obviously, there are other options also such as fitting in another A2836 replacement movement (they seem to be available) or a genuine ETA 2836 to name two of them. Repair might be more difficuly as I live in France and am not sure of the reaction of watchmakers here to being presented with a fake Rolex. I might get arrested!!

That's a long question. Yes, the movements are the same and the stem size has not changed in 50 years. The only thing you will need to do if you swap movements is to use the same crown on the same watch. The crowns will not interchange.