When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC sub project.

dbane883

As some of you know, I have worked on a few TC 16610 cases over the years for a few folks . But I am by no means an expert on sapphire subs and all the dial variants of the 16610.

But here is something I put together for my son using leftover parts that have accumulated over the years. Been meaning to do this for over a year and finally getting around to it now.

I will say it. TC cases, especially the recent ones, kinda suck right out of the box. Here is an example of how poor the satin finish is on the lug tops. Not sure how he's getting them finished, but looks like a crude metal brush if you ask me. TC on the right, and after I re-satin on the left:

39603c5daa18949527c3da3d2c620d5a.jpg

There are other issues like uneven lug thicknesses and a weird raised platform area under the crystal gasket. Overall fit and finish has definitely changed over the years. Some will say it's blasphemy to criticize TC, but it's the truth.

I had some issues fitting a SA3135v2 movement into the case. While the SA3135 accepts a gen dial, it's marginally too narrow such that the movement holding screws don't quite grab the inside grooves:

914c50bd564c53cb6f611b41d9001917.jpg

I will have to make up some tabs of some sort so it fits securely. I also tried a gen 3135 movement and it too fits a bit loose. The screws just barely hold it to the case. So it shows that the inside of the TC case is not machined consistently. Perhaps other TC examples have no issues but the one I'm using definitely is off.

But after I reshaped the case, added lugholes and bevels and some CG work, here is the finished gift. Gen dial, hands, crown/tube, crystal, insert. I have still not grown out of my aversion to sapphire crystals with cyclops. As such I've used a gen no-date crystal which kinda gives it a sea dweller look. Anyhow I prefer it this way.

8abcd3efdf110f58511f70c14fd90a52.jpg

0a4b024c160d6ccfe4309cf6226d5611.jpg

8a44497e703d0cf6ad06580d3b0456cd.jpg

9c8fdc2f4051f64a42c6a17ed8552956.jpg36e92defcff5bec086dde5774993f352.jpg

3c2f16c7bbd5bba25683aa8a477ff04d.jpg

I also had some issues with the bezel. It would not turn when installed. I removed the friction washer and it spins fine but is now a tad loose. I will have to sand down the washer as it appears to be a tad thick.

Not sure how long the SA3135 will last, but this is for my son and I'll be happy if it lasts a year or two. Just need to figure out this damn movement holder issue.

any issues with a SA3135?

So far so good. The problem (one of many) with these is that the stem is proprietary. If you break it, there is no other known stem that will work.

Nice work! Where do you people source sa3135?

I acquired a LF SubC last year and extracted the movement from it. I think the newer Noob subs has this movement as an option but not 100% certain