When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex oysterquartz rep or franken?

jorrie

Rolex oysterquartz

Can this be build franken or rep?

I think inwould love to own one seems the bracelets are fairly expensive and no replica available. So one would pay high proce for a whorn put bracelet. 

Seems there are no replicas either available. anyone has bulld one? Think this will be almost non acomplisable. It seems my taste is not easily realized. Would love to own one. Back to the 80s. 

Still love my mymanmatt datejust 36 best my rolex daydate 40mm is very close except the new bracelet which is ahame and the datewheel else for the money very great. I already saw this eatch before buying above 2 but is seemed alsmost un do able

ref 17000

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by jorrie

14 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

I've never seen a replica sadly. I don't think genuine ones are two much. Actually I always hated this watch when it was in production, but I like it a lot now.

No replicas. Although i guess the bracelet is not that hard to make compared to repped models like daydate and datejust bracelets. If i could afford would buy it instantly.

latety im very interested in cnc machinery. It could be do able but very expensive. Measuring an original and recreate it with 3d software then cnc the parts out of stainless steel. 

image.jpeg

I wonder if one could add a 36 mm date just dail inside this case.

So just purely experimental and not in correct dimensions at all ( one would need an original to measure it up exactly ) i made a drawing in rhino 3D. 
This case is not that difficult in terms of strange corners it basically a very basic design with some filet edges trimmed of the case.

Just experimental, not correct dimensions.
I think its do-able with some hours to replicate the casing.. 
If someone could exactly measure one up with a digital measurement tool.
Then one would "only" need to CNC it. Im not sure how much that would cost.

Of course the inside should be exact, or perhaps modified to fit an day date 36 mm GEN dail. 
Then only the bracelet would be a problem, but could be replicated in the same way with the difficulty it needs the hands and bracelet parts also. 
Which adds more time. Probably this could be done in a day and printed in cheap plastic with 0.1mm error tolerance on shape ways for a few bucks.
A plastic prototype so to speak.
Moving it to CNC parts could be an issue also you want the stainless steel to have the correct brush which would take try and error.
Since its mostly basic shaped with some edge filets holes it *should* be do-able. 
Again one could add a 36mm day date crown GEN or rep.

Any thoughts on this

Ok an attempt and thoughts ( on the bracelet )

• Using day date 36 mm dail gen dail
  • Crown using 36 mm day date gen or rep
  • Sapphire using Clark's 36 mm ( I think it almost identical?)
  • Using a 2283-2 or similar movement that fits for day date 36mm also
  • Bracelet is fairly simple in terms of filleting, its basic shaped smaller each part 

Again just a quick draft to see how much work this is, made the bracelet in about 30 minutes ( and my rhino 3d skills are a bit rusty )

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 02.00.39.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 01.20.09.png

Edited by jorrie

No reps that I know of.  There was also an automatic version.

I machined a case on a manual lathe and mill, just for grins, but it was pretty labor intensive.  I grafted on an APRO bracelet made it into a fantasy Tudor...

Gen 1530 4.jpg

case 17.JPG

case 21.JPG

case 24.JPG

case 33.JPG

case 40.JPG

case 46.JPG

Fantasy Tudor 3.JPG

• Like 4

"I wonder if one could add a 36 mm date just dail inside this case."

The OQ uses the same size dial as a DJ. The sapphire crystal, crown, and a lot of other parts are the same as a DJ and the main plate is a modified 3035 plate.  The catch today is parts are insanely expensive and the movements are getting old causing $400+ circuit boards and motors to go $outh.  We call them 'rolex light bulbs' because you never know when they will go out.  I would rather have a 214 Spaceview for $200 or $300 and take my chances because A-tron hummers beat OQ tickers as far as Electro Classics are concerned.  Imho.   :pimp:

If you had a complete OQ case, dial and bracelet...a $25 Eta 955.xxx etc, would be an improvement over an OQ movement (considering the $$) because of the ever present light bulb problem with an OQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, automatico said:

"I wonder if one could add a 36 mm date just dail inside this case."

The OQ uses the same size dial as a DJ. The sapphire crystal, crown, and a lot of other parts are the same as a DJ and the main plate is a modified 3035 plate.  The catch today is parts are insanely expensive and the movements are getting old causing $400+ circuit boards and motors to go $outh.  We call them 'rolex light bulbs' because you never know when they will go out.  I would rather have a 214 Spaceview for $200 or $300 and take my chances because A-tron hummers beat OQ tickers as far as Electro Classics are concerned.  Imho.   :pimp:

If you had a complete OQ case, dial and bracelet...a $25 Eta 955.xxx etc, would be an improvement over an OQ movement (considering the $$) because of the ever present light bulb problem with an OQ.

If we could just cnc high quality custom made case and bracelet parts with a case that fits a regular 36mm datejust movement you would be there. But probably very expensive. I know a guy who sells cnc tools i will inform how much the costs are tomorrow. Just a block of stainless steel is probably not that much but the time and tools to cnc it are. Plus we would need an exact measurements 3d model convert it for cnc etc.. 

If one would measure a datejust case inside then build the oysterquartz case around it. Adding a clark saphire datejust gen dail and a chinese movement one could get very close. That is if the cnc quality gets close to the gen. I think there are aftermarket bezels for datejust 36 which one can also use not sure if they come non fluted also.

would take a lot of time. Printing a cheap plastic 3d prototype on shapeways.com could be a first step. Then if the pricing is not to steep replicate the parts in stainless steel. Would be a real challange i guess.

Anyone with a gen or rep 36mm datejust emty case that would be willing to measure it with a digital messurement tool?

Or are there technical drawings of the datejust and or oysterquartz 17000 that could be used to build a correct 3d model that can be used for cnc ing?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 8/15/2016 at 2:18 PM, nick1972 said:

Indeed JMB,  impressive work. 

I bought a few years back a complete case, bracelet and dial. 

The problem is, to find a suitable automatic movement. 

Did you ever work this out? I have original case, bracelet, dial and hands. Trying to find the best way forward ... what movement to use.