When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying grades of Asian eta clones?

RickFlorida

I have seen people claim there are grade levels of sea gull or H. Eta clones.   (Asian).   But I have never found a way to order high grade Asian clones.   Does sea gull offer different grades of 2836-2 for example that one can buy?  I'm in the process of where I have to decide if I should get a genuine eta or an Asian.

Thanks for any info.

Thomas (TC) has come the closest with his upgraded 2824-2 clone. But he's got an in with the Chinese obviously. As for upgrades to the Seaull or the Hangzhou clones, I don't know what to tell you.

Depending on what you're going to do, probably getting a Swiss eta is still your best bet. Getting a clone serviced would be my second choice. Last would just be taking your chances with a Seagull.

I have heard a couple of people say the Seagulls are the best of the clones.

Swiss-http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SWISS-MADE-ETA-2836-2-AUTOMATIC-MOVEMENT-NICKEL-NEW-WHITE-OR-BLACK/222063625217?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D138876d3d4584e55a79f26a687d386ee%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

Seagull- http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAGULL-ST2100-CLONE-ETA-2836-2-SELLITA-SW-220-AUTOMATIC-MOVEMENT-GOLD-WHITE/221980531211?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D35efe87a56714be4950b15878e9059df%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

So take your pick!

I have had very good results with SeaGull 2824 clones. Only problem I have found, there aren't many folks selling them. I bought the first one from and eBay seller from Portugal, when I needed another one. Contacted the seller. She emailed me that she no longer carried them because SeaGull raised the prices and they weren't competitive with other 2824 clones. Ended up getting one from a seller in Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, panerai153 said:

I have had very good results with SeaGull 2824 clones. Only problem I have found, there aren't many folks selling them. I bought the first one from and eBay seller from Portugal, when I needed another one. Contacted the seller. She emailed me that she no longer carried them because SeaGull raised the prices and they weren't competitive with other 2824 clones. Ended up getting one from a seller in Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys..

I see Sea Gull 2836-2's on Ebay right now.  But only a few.  Most of the clones are not really stating what brand they are so you have a point.

"Swiss is worth the money. Go with swiss, you'll be glad you did."

+1

Otoh if I had to choose an etaclone, Seagull would probably be the first choice.  The main problem with swissetas in replicas today is many are old movements in need of repair. 

I took an etaclone (unknown brand) apart and checked it over and it looked good but was dry of oil in some spots and flooded in others.  I bought it because it is a simple (non adjustable 24H) GMT type and I wanted the GMT parts for a project using a swisseta 2836...it uses the exact same parts that were used 10 or 15 years ago on swisseta GMT conversions.  I did not c/o the clone or stick it back together but put the etaclone balance complete in a swisseta 2836 and it took off and keeps time about as good as it did with the eta balance.  I changed it out as a unit, balance bridge and all so one side has the Chinese shock device and the other has the swiss device.  The balance staffs appear to be exactly the same and the running rate is very good in all positions.  I did c/o both balance jewels and the escape wheel/pallet stones.  The truth is I was surprised at how good it runs.

I'm referring to a new fresh swiss movement from startime or one of the other supply houses, not a so called swiss from china. They are at least 25 years old and come from a watch school. They have been disassembled and reassembled 100's of time. Trust me, they are worn out. Not even good for parts

• Like 1