When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting dial and hands to 2836 movement

richard591

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to give me some advice on this issue or, if there have been previous posts/tutorials on the matter, just direct me to where I can find them. I’m still new and finding my way about.

I recently bought 2-DSSD’s 1-black (non noob) and a noob V6s D-Blue. The V6s is such a lovely thing and so well-made I want to make sure it can be preserved as long as possible, so have ordered a complete replacement 2836 movement plus D-Blue dial and handset. This was to be supplied already assembled, so a simple drop in. Yes, you may have guessed, it’s all going to come un-assembled and that’s where I would appreciate some advice.

Firstly, let me say that I’m familiar with working on small fiddly things – collector of antique English & French clocks and working on firearms. So, I will be doing it myself as soon as it arrives, then putting it away until needed. I have already had both the DSSD’s apart to check over, waterproof and regulate and am familiar with the process of dis-assembly/re-assembly.

So, these are the questions:-

1.      Having mounted the dial on the movement I would normally expect to then set the position of the hands by rotating the winder until the date just flips.

This should be 12 midnight, at which point the hands are mounted at that

position before moving slightly ahead (to say 3 o’clock) to test the date change

over function.

2.   I now have to mount the hands and that's where I could use some guidance. Are there any specific do's and don'ts, such as the pressure applied when

mounting and are the hands self spacing on their respective pinions? I'm unfamiliar with the tube construction on these hands and don't know if they have

to be manually set to the correct spacing off the dial. While this is going on the movement would obviously be in "time set" position.

Any useful guidance on this would be much appreciated and sorry if I’m just repeating what’s been asked a thousand times before.

The hand height is automatic. Be sure to install the hour hand at midnight, roll forward to 6 o'clock to install the minute hand. Ck the clearance of your markers and hands. Install the sweep second. Caution!!! When installing the sweep second, use gentle pressure when pushing down on the post. That is the center or second wheel and it is possible to dislocate the wheel on the bottom. Ck clearance and you're done.

22 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

.Caution!!! When installing the sweep second, use gentle pressure when pushing down on the post. That is the center or second wheel and it is possible to dislocate the wheel on the bottom. 

Interesting!!!! What are the symptoms if the wheel is dislocated at the bottom???would the watch run fast ,slow or stop altogether ???

• 1 year later...