When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Vintage Build

jakethemouse

I originally set out to build a Tudor DayDate after being inspired by Jerkstores build-a-long frankenjust guides, But fell in the love with the 1016 after reading the many threads, especially LHOOQ and 1680's Vintage 1016 build projects.

I was lucky enough to snatch up a Whoopy dial which is gorgeous by the way and the catalyst for this build.

I won't say much more cause I'm a noob but would like to thank JMB and anyone else who helped my nooby PMs :)

Feel free to make any suggestions for improvements. I couldn't wait for the bracelet to come so quickly made a leather strap to wear it before I ship her off to get lumed.

Build details are below.

- JMB V2 - with engravings

- Whoopy 1016 Dial

- JMB Hands (purchased TC Hands on M2M but still not here after 4weeks :( )

- Gen crown

- Gen Spring bars

- Mary Oyster 7836 bracelet on the way

- Clark T21

- 2824-2 movement

- endlinks (please recommend)

- to complete the look anyone know where I can get an old Rolex box?

Some Glamour shots

2016-08-25-11-59-26.jpg

2016-08-25-12-02-48.jpg

2016-08-25-12-01-34.jpg

2016-08-25-12-00-32.jpg

2016-08-25-12-00-56.jpg

• Like 1

Great build. I am about 12 months behind you as a supernoob! Also inspired by  1680's amaxing blog/post on his build! 

5 hours ago, Bart Cordell said:

So do you know if it's a 24-600 or 24-603 crown ?

emoji632.png

How much does the tube/crown combo affect waterproofness? @jakethemouse have you had this one tested / ambition to waterproof ?

Edited by headtube

4 hours ago, headtube said:

Great build. I am about 12 months behind you as a supernoob! Also inspired by  1680's amaxing blog/post on his build! 

How much does the tube/crown combo affect waterproofness? @jakethemouse have you had this one tested / ambition to waterproof ?

I didn't get the tube redone but I can see the gaskets operating in the crown and tube when I close.  Haven't test it for waterproofing yet.

10 hours ago, Bart Cordell said:

So do you know if it's a 24-600 or 24-603 crown ?

emoji632.png

I'm not sure which one he used but I'll can ask.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:17 PM, jakethemouse said:

I originally set out to build a Tudor DayDate after being inspired by Jerkstores build-a-long frankenjust guides, But fell in the love with the 1016 after reading the many threads, especially LHOOQ and 1680's Vintage 1016 build projects.

I was lucky enough to snatch up a Whoopy dial which is gorgeous by the way and the catalyst for this build.

I won't say much more cause I'm a noob but would like to thank JMB and anyone else who helped my nooby PMs :)

Feel free to make any suggestions for improvements. I couldn't wait for the bracelet to come so quickly made a leather strap to wear it before I ship her off to get lumed.

Build details are below.

- JMB V2 - with engravings

- Whoopy 1016 Dial

- JMB Hands (purchased TC Hands on M2M but still not here after 4weeks :( )

- Gen crown

- Gen Spring bars

- Mary Oyster 7836 bracelet on the way

- Clark T21

- 2824-2 movement

- endlinks (please recommend)

- to complete the look anyone know where I can get an old Rolex box?

Some Glamour shots

2016-08-25-11-59-26.jpg

2016-08-25-12-02-48.jpg

2016-08-25-12-01-34.jpg

2016-08-25-12-00-32.jpg

2016-08-25-12-00-56.jpg

You first vintage build but you know terms or people I don't.    Who or what is a Whoppy for the dial and who is Mary for bracelet?  Well, I think Mary is the MBW source?   So maybe I know that one.   But who or what is Whoppy?

3 hours ago, RickFlorida said:

You first vintage build but you know terms or people I don't.    Who or what is a Whoppy for the dial and who is Mary for bracelet?  Well, I think Mary is the MBW source?   So maybe I know that one.   But who or what is Whoppy?

139 Posts and you haven't learned how to search?

Whoopy12 is a member here who did several dial projects a couple of years ago. In the case of the 1016, he actually did two runs. There are plenty of posts about his various dials. Excellent quality. I used his 1016 and 5514 dials in my build. I don't think he has stick left so you're probably looking at M2M sales to pick one up at this point.

Mary is AKA Watch International. She's been a TD on some of the other sites, but I don't think she is here. Her bracelet with the WSO 580 endlinks is about the best option for a 1016 other than gen.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, droptopman said:

Good parts list. WSO 580's off eBay match up good with that case set and Mary's 7836.
Here was my Whoopy dialed Franken.
b91e5c73c7f7ed10fbc7e4b15c881850.jpg

Thanks.

Are these the right endlinks I have to get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/580-END-PIECE-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-OYSTER-BAND-78360-PART-/171022393380?hash=item27d1baa024

Bart - the crown used was one of the "old style" 6mm crowns that fit the small tube that needs to be reamed after installation.  If I use one of the newer crowns then the tube needs to be changed.

Good looking builds, Jake.  Love the Date-Day, kinda wish I'd kept mine...

On 8/25/2016 at 9:17 PM, Vibes said:

Mine says hi, same recipe.

image.jpeg

Mine says hi, same recipe except for HR hands

Wow! What a beautiful tapered seconds hand. Is that really a Helenrou merc hands set?!

OP: beautiful build and a wonderful collection. One for every occassion!

On August 28, 2016 at 11:38 AM, DVNE said:

Wow! What a beautiful tapered seconds hand. Is that really a Helenrou merc hands set?!

Yes it is! People haven't seemed to figure it out yet! If only it and the minute hand were a bit longer though. 

• 9 months later...