When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake watches are for fake people...

Rolexman

than again, an [censored] is an [censored] is an [censored]. And the watch you wear or how you lie about it or not don't make a bit of difference in that.

I have gen vintage rolexes, frankens, complete fakes. Gen pams, fake pams, etc etc. cheap gens. expensive fakes and vice versa, etc; heuers, swatches, g-shocks, tudors, omegas, and I am aways the same dude regardless of what I wear. 

If you have issues about what you are wearing, then save your money and buy something to impress everyone with. Anyone can get a credit for 6K to buy a [censored] gen submariner, if that is what you need to feel good about yourself. 

also, don't believe the hype. All of these "luxury" brands are selling a fantasy. Hublots are not worth 10k. APs and Patek with their fragile movements and super expensive services are just status symbols. Why should a rolex daytona cost 12k and a tudor chrono 4k? 30k pams with 6497s in them? Vintage daytona fo 50k with valjoux 72s in them? All marketing and story telling. 

The owners of these brands are laughing their asses off when they have budget and pricing meetings. Let the sheiks buy their [censored]. 

Buy what you can afford and be happy with it. 

• Like 3

I love your thought process. For me it is the latter from your possible reasons to buy a fake: I am obsessed and intrigued to get a fake as close as possible to the genuine counterpart in regards to reliability (movement, waterproof etc). My wife owns multiple genuines (which I bought her) and does not like wearing reps. She often tells me: "buy an nice gen as your next watch" ... But simply buying a gen does not give me the same feeling and reward as totally pulling apart a rep and servicing it to be on par with a gen. So my watch box consists solely of reps. 

:peace:

I agree! I own a few gens and nothing brings me joy like bringing a rep up to par with a gen and knowing I spent a fraction of the gen price! It's intriguing to see what the factories can do as well as our modders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who makes the statement "fake watches are for fake people" is well......a fake person.

If I was a gen buyer I would have never ventured myself into the joys and disgraces of watch repair. I would have never had the possibility to spend evenings to revive a dead watch. And I would've never had the satisfaction of seeing it ticking again.

About watches to be recognisable? Seriously apart Rolexes and Pams very very few people anything else. I am sporting a LWerdelin these days (which I had to work on quite well) and no one that I know has ever even heard about that brand :)

I don't care if someone thumbs their nose at me because I wear a Steinhart B-Uhr.  Why would I pay for a Stowa that has the same movement, when I can buy a Steinhart?  The Luxury Brands mostly make their own movements, and sometimes, everything is made in house.  I will not pay $5,000 for a watch, period.  A fake watch is one that has a name like IWC on it, but is not made by them.  I buy homage watches, and even, along with others help Mr. Steinhart come up more unique versions of the watches that he sells.  There are too many people suffering in this world, and if I had $5,000 to spend a on a watch, I would send half of it to a mission, and buy a few custom Steinhart's.  If someone defines themselves by their watch, the have my pity. 

I think all are valid points, and I would like to point out one more. 

When I am not enjoying my fake or semi fake (franken) watches I do reconstructive surgery.

I give cancer survivors fake breasts, faces and revise their scars. 

People are imperfect to begin with and it took me a long time to understand the extreme frustration of a beautiful patient wanting to be perfect as opposed to the subdued request of terribly deformed patient wanting just to be made whole. 

Wanting to fool others takes a lot of effort and it sheds light on the darkest parts of your soul. whereas appreciating the aesthetic of the imperfect and accepting the things you can modify and the price payed (in scars, pain, medical treatments) builds character and enables you to accept the change and embrace it as your own.

I feel the same about my watches and other posessions. I feel better wearing a vintage franken or watch I have brought back from the brink than wearing  a well crafted gen. and I am certain every other craftsman feels the same about his work, accepting that some may do better and some may do worse.

• Like 5

" People are imperfect to begin with and it took me a long time to understand the extreme frustration of a beautiful patient wanting to be perfect as opposed to the subdued request of terribly deformed patient wanting just to be made whole.  " :notworthy:

I get some real sick people in my care on death's door and I have a hard time with surgery for shits and giggles also. (so you can look a bit better:bangin:)

• Like 1

I guess the only healthy way to look at it is that the silly rich people who often don't pay as much tax as they should, have through their vanity, financed the growth of plastic surgery to the point where the most horrific injuries and deformities can now be repaired.

My daily wear is now a rolex 16610 that I really enjoy. I used to wear a 1016 but found myself loving the timing bezel. Now could I honestly afford the watch? Yes, but my god I wouldn't want to. I have a brilliant watch that does 99% of what the real one does for about 6% of the price of the genuine version. I personally only really agree with the FWFFP argument with shitty fakes that some [censored] decides to overtly flash around to look like a big-shot. In all honestly nobody really cares what's on your wrist near as much as the blokes (and occasional lady) around here. I've had more comments on the pen I write with each day than I have my watch.

Edited by HaydenM
  • Like 1

I own both genuine and replica Rolex timepieces, so would that make me a partially genuine and partially fake person depending on what I wear?

I have also owned a genuine 18k gold Patek which I often wondered if it was worth the premium I paid for it, apart from a few hundred dollars of gold invested into the case material The movement is nicely decorated etc etc.  and so what!!! The case is so foil like with those very thin lugs and case walls that I was even afraid to touch it harder than I would be touching a crumbling cookie.  Honestly, it didn't do anything for me!!!  More something for a woman to wear at the races with a fancy mushrroom hat and other fancy jewellery

I also had the pride and privilege to build my own super Sea dweller with parts sourced from various quality suppliers including a genuine dial, genuine Tissot eta 2836-2 which felt no different to a divers Longines or Steihart.  In fact, I was going to get a sterile dial to have my family name decal on it and would have been a genuine quality brand watch unique only to me.  It has been just about bullet proof enduring all sorts of punishment that I would never dare do to any of my genuine pieces through.  I also have a genuine TAG Heuer WK 1112 with it's cheap quartz eta 955.112 with the TAG stamp on it,  OOOHAAAAA!!!!!!!! which originally sold for over £900  with a module that can be replaced for approx £50.  I feel like the same joke in "Whos on first base" from the Abbot and Costello riddle

Moral to the story, you paid for it and enjoy it without letting small minds judge you!!!

fake or real- it tells the time just the same!!!

17 minutes ago, Purlin said:

Can somebody please direct me via Pm to a TD (preferably UK based) who accepts PP.

I'm actively looking to purchase a V7 Noob submariner "hulk". A2836 movement. 

Would be very grateful everyone. 

Many thanks.

Purlin

A bit off topic. Best to post in the Rolex forum. However, you've made a good choice. There are no UK based TDs. Joshua from Perfect Clones will take PP - no problems.

Noob here, really enjoying the back & forth about reps & gens. I own a lot of watches, and buy really what appeals to me, regardless of who makes it. I've had high end watches and wound up selling most of them, due to the maintenance cost. I can afford the cost of a gen, but can't justify it. To me, the best reason to buy a rep is not worrying about banging it up as a daily wearer, or having to deal with maintenance costs. I also don't like having to spend 500.00 for an oem replacement band. I would bet that most gen owners don't replace their worn out straps with oem stuff. Would that qualify them as not staying true to the brand... I don't think so. I look for well known reliable movements and then find the watch that has that. For me, it's not about impressing anybody else. It's the feeling I get when I look at my wrist and see something pleasing. I think anyone should be commended on whatever reasoning for buying the watch of their choice. 

I like my watches, I have over 40 at the present time, a couple of vintage gens, which I honestly almost never wear.  I love the reps, I like them for the look of them.  All of mine keep time just fine.  I swap watches almost daily so I really do not care if the power lasts for days on end as I will be wearing something else tomorrow.  I just care that I like the look and feel of the watch and that it keeps relatively good time.  Most of my reps probably are not perfect but honestly they feel great, are all very solid watches and on the wrist I doubt 99% of the people would even question if it was real or not, but again, I like them which is all that matters.  I honestly tried the microbrands but most of the ones I own have flaws from being micro brands.  For example my deep blue, in the picture on the website the face was white and the markers and hands bright yellow.  In reality the face is like cream and the hands and the markers are two different shades of yellow.  I still kept the watch, but if it was a rep and people compared it to a gen based off the pictures it would be considered a bad fake, and I mean bad. The case is also very bulky.  So the better reps are at least trying to immitate a beautiful watch, and doing a fantastic job.  Last I would never be able to own 40 gens even if I had way more money than I do.   So who cares, I love my reps!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic and the fake watches for fake people is a bit too stereotypical...

i have a mix of real and replica watches.  The reps are because I appreciate the design and a mix of: not wanting to spend tens of thousands on a collection, but also not wanting to worry about the real watch in certain situations.

A great example I have both gen and replica omega sea master and planet ocean watches. Near identical (though you can certainly tell the quality difference if you look closely - winding quality, fonts, pearl etc).  I wear the real 50% of the time and the rep 50% of the time. The rep if I am playing sport, in foreign countries /places I don't know and where I could get unwanted attention.  Scraping / scratching a rep is not the end of the world, or getting mugged for a rep would be scary but not a financial loss.  Typically when travelling I bang my watch... Rather bang the rep. 

I also have just a rep of some watches and just a gen of others.  Why? Cost, design, how I want to use and wear it.   I see some as transient watches, others as keepers and investments.... As with some here, I have bought a rep to try out and see how it feels and looks - I bought a rep Breitling, with the intent of buying a real one later, but it was too showey and didn't look right on my wrist... If I had bought a real one from day one I would have been [censored].

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
I like my watches, I have over 40 at the present time, a couple of vintage gens, which I honestly almost never wear.  I love the reps, I like them for the look of them.  All of mine keep time just fine.  I swap watches almost daily so I really do not care if the power lasts for days on end as I will be wearing something else tomorrow.  I just care that I like the look and feel of the watch and that it keeps relatively good time.  Most of my reps probably are not perfect but honestly they feel great, are all very solid watches and on the wrist I doubt 99% of the people would even question if it was real or not, but again, I like them which is all that matters.  I honestly tried the microbrands but most of the ones I own have flaws from being micro brands.  For example my deep blue, in the picture on the website the face was white and the markers and hands bright yellow.  In reality the face is like cream and the hands and the markers are two different shades of yellow.  I still kept the watch, but if it was a rep and people compared it to a gen based off the pictures it would be considered a bad fake, and I mean bad. The case is also very bulky.  So the better reps are at least trying to immitate a beautiful watch, and doing a fantastic job.  Last I would never be able to own 40 gens even if I had way more money than I do.   So who cares, I love my reps!!!

I totally agree.....

A watch is a personal statement and we wear and judge it for ourselves.
Most of the meticulously built frankens here have very interesting histories and the journey is a salient part of this hobby.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

• Like 1

I buy reps (fakes if you like) because they are fascinating, beautiful and interesting designs...

20161229_083501_zpsldbaqg82.jpg20161216_140109_zpsev2hqmrh_edit_1481915898759_zpsvhnlwrwa.jpg20161212_072638_zps5d4cawfh.jpg20170104_085844_zpsta4etpbq.jpg20170104_101929_zpshmi0m5m9.jpghttp://www.ts-watches.co/vach-constantine/16492-vc16492-vc-overseas-mans-high-grade-black-dial-ss-lt-asian-2824_0e006c6179f54799060f4d0615c37bcd.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

...some are close to gen and some are fantasy reps...all are beautiful for exactly what they are: cool timepieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Interesting thread and many very valid points surely! :) 

I agree with the statements about the reasons behind buying reps are the determining factors if people are 'fake' (don't like that term too much in general, what is a 'fake' person anyway'?) the posers on instagram with canal street fakes taking selfies in front of Bentleys they don't own would probably fall under that category, I don't think they love watches like we do, they're only interested in showing off and many cannot even afford I nice rep let alone a gen.

Personally, I buy reps because I want to try many different designs and models which would be much more difficult with gens only. I love design and my watch passion is largely esthetics driven and then love for automatic movements. Also, and don't laugh now please :) my personality doesn't allow me to settle with one of anything, goes with cars, watches you name it (only exception are wives :)) I own several gens already and many highend Reps and frankens and for the value of those rep watches I could probably add a few more nice gens to my collection. To me it just wouldn't be as fun and my collection couldn't be this big.

• Like 1

I just like watches lol  have lots of gens and lots of reps, frankens, geninesteins etc.. I take it for what it is and that is just that I have since I was a child had a fascination with time pieces. The intricacies of automatic movements and this is the reason I do not have one quartz watch right now. I got into this Rep racket when I was in university and didn't have a pot to [censored] in lol really I didn't and lived on kraft dinner and Mr Noodles, but I still loved watches and got into the rep racket because I couldn't afford any gens and to be honest I still like this rep racket and ill still buy reps and I will for a long time. The days are long gone of not being able to afford to buy whatever gen I feel like buying, but I have a deep fascination with this rep bit and of the hundreds ive owned over the years ive not yet been called out for wearing one because I don't go out and stare are my watch or exhibit the "hey look at me" attitude. I have met so many people over the past few years that really couldn't afford to buy gen watches but were so quick to show you the gen watch he just paid $5000 for and was so proud of it as if it was something he needed to have and show to feel like he was worth something. Those are the types I picture as being fakes and to be honest when I meet people like that the first thing I think about is that this guy surely has a lot of knock offs or everything from his poorly tailored knock off prada suit to his poorly executed Patek rep, knowing full well his career does not allow him to wear the genuine article, but he goes out of his way to show you what he has.. the worst being the guys who leave the versasce, prada or dolce label on the cuff of their suit and that will be the arm they have on the bar with their replica watch shining in the light :)  you can see this guy a mile away and yet me in my slob mode in a tshirt, shorts, flipflops and a rep of a $30k watch could also be seen from a mile away and people would probably think the same thing "no way he can afford that watch.. look at him, hes a slob and looks homeless" but I really don't care lol I don't wear designer fake clothing and push it in your face looking for the "wow you look successful !"   I think those are the fake people and there is no shortage of them where I live lol  

Here's an old story from awhile back... repeated just for fun. This happened on one of those harbor tours out of Seward, Alaska. This is what reps are for! :tu:

I was with my brother on one of those glacier cruises where the boat takes you right up to the face of a glacier and toots the horn so the thing calves off big chunks of ice and scares the hell out of the tourists.

I was wearing a newer model Sea Dweller from Andrew, and we were all up on top of the boat, there were lots of tourists milling around in gore-tex and down parkas. I had already noticed a few times that the watch would leak and fog up, and I hate that. So I nudged me baby brudder and whispered "watch this".

I held my arm up to ostentatiously check the time, and Rolex Stainless Steel glistened and glittered in the sun like God's Own Bling. I then sucked in my breath in alarm and said "IT STOPPED! Look, this thing stopped again!" and showed it to my brother. He clucked his tongue, shook his head, and said something about "as expensive as that thing was, you'd think it would work!" and I agreed loudly.

A couple of heads turned toward us.

So I shook my wrist a few times, and held it up to my ear. Shaking my head in disgust, I took it off and waved my hand around wildly to "wind it" and got lots more people glancing at me nervously. Then I unscrewed the crown and wound it up madly with exaggerated motions, elbows flying, and listened again. "It's STILL dead!!!" I said to him, and I could see him suppressing a laugh.

More people looked, so I tapped it a couple times on the railing, and held it to my ear again. DING DING DINGGGG!! He was dying by now, trying not to laugh. When I tapped the railing the metal pipe sort of rang a little, and more people looked.

I listened to the watch again and said "This bloody piece of @#!*$%" and hit it harder on the railing. He was biting his lip and people were starting to stare. I held it up to my ear again and said loudly "YOU MISERABLE LOUSY CHEAP ROLEX!!!" and I turned and bashed it really really hard on the railing 5 or 6 times, WHANG WHANG WHANG WHANG!!! and the pipe was ringing and people were stepping back.

Everyone was staring, and I held it up to my ear for a moment, the pipe was still ringing, and I shouted "YOU LOUSY PIECE OF SWISS CRAP!!!!" and I drew my arm back, big pause for effect, and threw that watch as far as I could out into the ocean.

It made a really nice high arc, glittering in the sun, and landed with a nice big splash. My brother was nearly wetting himself, tears were rolling down his cheeks, and I stormed down the steps to the lower deck as people parted and let me through, their mouths gaping in astonishment.

It was glorious.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered this site and I am brand new to this,  and don't mean to disrespect anyone.  But personally, I would never wear a rep.  I love watches, and cannot possibly afford all the ones I want. But to me the essence of a watch is the intricate mechanic, and no rep can match that. And while I can see the attraction of being able to wear a design that you love but can't, or won't buy, it would bother me to wear a "fake" anything, watch, jewelry etc.

Years ago Mercedes Benz manufactured an SL with a 6 cylinder engine. I knew people who had them re-badged with the V12 insignias.  To me that is at worst fraud, and, at best posturing. II am lucky enough to be able to afford some genuine quality watches. I wear them often, and do so for my self.  90% of the time they are hidden under a sleeve. That's fine with me. I derive a great personal satisfaction from knowing I am wearing something of tremendous quality, a true mechanical marvel, and a thing of excellence and beauty.  And yes, if someone comments on it I am proud to show it off, but I focus my comments on the value of the watch, not its price.

There are many used, quality watches available for reasonable prices. Many will hold their value for years to come. Consider your purchase an investment, buy what you love, and enjoy the thrill of ownership. Unless you are a fashionista that won't leave the house until your style is fully coordinated, you may find that owning one classic special watch give you more satisfaction than any number of replicas.