When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake watches are for fake people...

Rolexman

8 hours ago, briclayman said:

I just discovered this site and I am brand new to this,  and don't mean to disrespect anyone.  But personally, I would never wear a rep.  I love watches, and cannot possibly afford all the ones I want. But to me the essence of a watch is the intricate mechanic, and no rep can match that. And while I can see the attraction of being able to wear a design that you love but can't, or won't buy, it would bother me to wear a "fake" anything, watch, jewelry etc.

Years ago Mercedes Benz manufactured an SL with a 6 cylinder engine. I knew people who had them re-badged with the V12 insignias.  To me that is at worst fraud, and, at best posturing. II am lucky enough to be able to afford some genuine quality watches. I wear them often, and do so for my self.  90% of the time they are hidden under a sleeve. That's fine with me. I derive a great personal satisfaction from knowing I am wearing something of tremendous quality, a true mechanical marvel, and a thing of excellence and beauty.  And yes, if someone comments on it I am proud to show it off, but I focus my comments on the value of the watch, not its price.

There are many used, quality watches available for reasonable prices. Many will hold their value for years to come. Consider your purchase an investment, buy what you love, and enjoy the thrill of ownership. Unless you are a fashionista that won't leave the house until your style is fully coordinated, you may find that owning one classic special watch give you more satisfaction than any number of replicas.

I'd say 'fake' watches are the cheap crap that you buy whilst holidaying in certain parts of the world. Ones which get thrown in the draw when you get home. 

Many people here build their own watches. Ones which are near identical to the gen version. For them, it's as much about the journey of gathering knowledge, parts and experience as it is the destination of the finished product. 

In essence: whatever floats your boat. 

• Like 2

Let's be totally honest here. If it tells time, even badly, it's a watch. To be a FAKE watch it would have to NOT tell time.The purpose of a watch, any watch is to measure the passing of time and if it does that it is a watch. I despise the term "fake watch". I'm wearing a Rolex replica right now, but though it isn't a real Rolex it isn't a fake watch. It might be a fake Rolex but it is a real watch.

This is just me rambling in the early morning.

Dave

9 minutes ago, lumbee said:

Let's be totally honest here. If it tells time, even badly, it's a watch. To be a FAKE watch it would have to NOT tell time.The purpose of a watch, any watch is to measure the passing of time and if it does that it is a watch. I despise the term "fake watch". I'm wearing a Rolex replica right now, but though it isn't a real Rolex it isn't a fake watch. It might be a fake Rolex but it is a real watch.

This is just me rambling in the early morning.

Dave

I understand perfectly the logic of your argument, but while respecting your view I think it is over defensive. People on the forums buy replica/facsimile/copy/fake watches because we like watches. Many of us also buy genuine. I accept that by buying and collecting replica watches I am supporting manufacturer of illegal counterfeit goods. I don't really believe genuine watch sales are greatly harmed by the replicas. Truthfully in this imperfect world we live in there are far bigger issues to be concerned about. 

If someone is so shallow as to judge me and my brothers solely on the basis of my watch, replica, genuine, cheap or expensive, then so be it. I think it unlikely I would want to know them anyway.

The bottom line is I really don't care.

15 hours ago, briclayman said:

I just discovered this site and I am brand new to this,  and don't mean to disrespect anyone.  But personally, I would never wear a rep.  I love watches, and cannot possibly afford all the ones I want. But to me the essence of a watch is the intricate mechanic, and no rep can match that. And while I can see the attraction of being able to wear a design that you love but can't, or won't buy, it would bother me to wear a "fake" anything, watch, jewelry etc.

Years ago Mercedes Benz manufactured an SL with a 6 cylinder engine. I knew people who had them re-badged with the V12 insignias.  To me that is at worst fraud, and, at best posturing. II am lucky enough to be able to afford some genuine quality watches. I wear them often, and do so for my self.  90% of the time they are hidden under a sleeve. That's fine with me. I derive a great personal satisfaction from knowing I am wearing something of tremendous quality, a true mechanical marvel, and a thing of excellence and beauty.  And yes, if someone comments on it I am proud to show it off, but I focus my comments on the value of the watch, not its price.

There are many used, quality watches available for reasonable prices. Many will hold their value for years to come. Consider your purchase an investment, buy what you love, and enjoy the thrill of ownership. Unless you are a fashionista that won't leave the house until your style is fully coordinated, you may find that owning one classic special watch give you more satisfaction than any number of replicas.

Valid points but why did you register here if you are 100% against reps?

1 hour ago, automatico said:

Looks to me if any watch keeps accurate time, it could not be a 'fake' watch because a 'fake' watch would have to always show the wrong time.   :pimp:

Question...if you take a genuine rolex 16610 and stamp 'Dickwatch' on the dial...is it still a genuine rolex, or is it just another Dickwatch?

Exactly. Are Tempus, Blaken and Artisan de Geneve fake Rolexes?.....

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I hate about the industry argument that says " replicas harm the industry"....Is that it's one gigantic lie.  There is zero evidence replicas harm Rolex.   Rolex sells every watch they make......And........The prices the Rolex demands have dramatically increased from what they use to cost when adjusted for inflation.   I don't have the exact numbers but it's something close to this.....

If you bought a new Rolex in 1965 it would cost you 3k in today's money.   If you bought a similar type ( not gold) Rolex today it would cost 7k.

Replicas have increased in number and yet Rolex is able to demand twice the price than when there were no replicas.

If Rolex genuinely wants to sell more watches, they should charge the same price level they did when they first got popular....otherwise they can shut up and stop lying that replicas harm their industry.

Well...it's all about marketing...when, for example, Rolex S.A. says that reps harm their business they do this because it makes sense in many ways...

It makes clear that Rolex is an exclusive watch and only special people wear a Rolex (most people still think that Rolex watches are an exclusive handmade timepiece and only expensive watches are replicated!).

It "explains" why Rolex are so expensive (they have to cover the loss).

And...they were (and I bet still are) proud of the fact that Rolex are the most replicated watches in the world.

Rolex S.A. doesn't loose a single cent when someone buys a "usual" replica but every replica sold is free advertising for Rolex :)

I think you are saying I'm right, but why Rolex lies?   Are you saying Rolex creates a fantasy about who should wear their watches?   If so then we are both in agreement.

As a corporation, when they say replicas harm their industry, we have to assume they mean their profits or number of sales.   In that regard......They are lying.

14 minutes ago, RickFlorida said:

I think you are saying I'm right, but why Rolex lies?   Are you saying Rolex creates a fantasy about who should wear their watches?   If so then we are both in agreement.

As a corporation, when they say replicas harm their industry, we have to assume they mean their profits or number of sales.   In that regard......They are lying.

What would you expect them to say?    :-/

1 minute ago, pcardoza said:

What would you expect them to say?    :-/

If I was Rolex ....I would say "we make the finest watches and the numerous attempts to replicate them is flattering evidence of that fact.  We sell all of our watches and will continue to do so for generations to come"...

Perhaps you heard of HBO?   When it was shown that Game of Thrones was the most illegally downloaded show in history..... Instead of making a negative headline over it.....They released a statement that overall said they were flattered and proud.    

It was brilliant.    They still make tons of money from HBO subscriptions, so who cares that people download it.   If Rolex had any balls...They would do the same thing and admit that replicas don't harm their profits.    Maybe it's because I'm American and now have to deal with liars like Trump...So I'm jaded by lying.

Being one of the oldest folks on this forum, I am going to chime in on my take about "fakes are for fakes". I totally disagree with that premise, unless you are some guy who is overtly showing your "fake" AP,Rolex Hublot, etc. to others with the sole intention of deceiving them into something that you aren't. I would hope that there are none like those people on this forum. Most likely not, because for the most part they are not interested in watches as a marvelous miniature, intricate  machine that allows us at a glance to see the time, date, phase of the moon, time in other time zones, etc. They are only interested in a watch as a symbol of their ostentatious lifestyle. I would suspect that the vast, vast majority of people who are here are proud of their watches, marvel at their design, but are as inconspicuous in their watch wearing. These are not fake people, they are not trying to deceive anyone, they wear replicas because they represent an opportunity to wear watches that they for whatever their reasons are not desirable to them in their genuine form. Possible they cannot afford the genuine, maybe it's because they have had genuine watches and are turned off by the incredible costs of repair and parts. Possibly they feel that their money can best be put to better uses than buying a 6-10K watch. Everyone has his reasons, and all are valid.

Here is my experience. I have ben collecting  (Accumulating) watches for probably 40+ years. I'm old enough that I bought new Rolex 1680's,1665's and Daytonas for less than 1000.00 USD each, in fact all of those were around the 500.00 USD range. Wish I had a couple of those back by the way!! Over the years, I ventured out into other brands, Breitling, IWC, Chronoswiss, Omega,Maurice Lacroix.,Ulysse Nardin are the ones I remember and  can recall the exact watches. During that time, I ventured into Replicas, first joining a rep forum way back during the days of the old TRC. One thing that put me off gens at that time was the cost of repair and the lengthy time involved. I remember A Breitling Chronomat that every time I sent it in for repairs (twice) they wanted to change things that didn't need changing and the repair bill was in excess of 300.00 USD. That was a lot in 1988! Another was a Chronoswiss that required a trip back to Germany and was gone for 3 months. All in all I could see that the costs of maintenance on some of these somewhat finicky watches was not where I wanted to go. I eventually sold almost all my genuine watches and replaced them with replicas. Way cheaper and just as accurate and dependable.  A few years later, I had a bit of a falling out with reps, primarily because at the time I was mostly dealing with Rolex and  after purchasing them, I spent a good bit on making them nice frankens, the usual genuine crystal, insert, crown, reluming, replacing the rep bracelet with gen bracelets/endlinks. I was really happy with the results, however when it came time to sell one, no one wanted to pay much over the price of the original watch, so usually when one sold, I took a beating. this is still the same today, however I feel like folks today are more willing to pay for what was done as well as the original price of the watch.

Over the years, I have totally enjoyed my reps. I never try to hide that they are reps, although I find that the vast number of folks are totally disinterested in watches in general. Most cannot tell a Rolex from a Timex!! Maybe that's a good thing as it probably prevents undue watch scrutiny. I still have a good many genuine watches, which alas, get very little wrist time. I have a gen Rolex 16610 that has not been on my wrist for probably 2 years. Why do I keep it? Probably to pass on to my son or grandson who both like watches. A few others get a little wrist time. Probably my Rolex 16750 gets the most, primarily because of it's GMT function. And finally, if you are worried about wearing replicas, then I have two pieces of advice. First, don't try to pull off something that is a well known expensive piece. Even though there have been lots of threads here about folks who don't look the part actually being able to afford a expensive genuine watch, in real life there are not that many young guys who are going to be able to afford a 100K watch at age 20. Certainly there are some, but by and large their numbers are pretty small. So if you are going to college and delivering Pizzas part time, unless your family owns the Pizza chain, don't try to pull off the unpulloffable. Second if you truly want to fly under the radar, wear "unknown" brands, or at least models of brands that look like a lot of other watches. My AP FC diver looks like about a thousand other "Black" watches that you see everywhere from drug store watch displays, mall stores  to chain jewelry stores. Also, watches from those "unknown" brands. There are so many genuine boutique brands and even larger more recognized brands that are to the general population, unknowns. If you want to see how popular and widespread a brand is, go to the genuine website and click on dealers. Some of the genuine brands  have almost no dealers in the USA. Watches like Linde Werdelin for instance have a grand total of five dealers in the USA!! and of these five two are in the Phoenix area and one in Florida. What do you think your chances are of seeing someone with a genuine LW are? Pretty slim. Same with others that some of us would consider pretty popular. A good example is Blancpain. And old brand with a pretty established history especially with their vintage dive watches from the 60's and 70's. Blancpain has about 36 retail establishments over the entire USA, about half of those a Tourneau, which to me is sort of a watch supermarket. So again, pretty slim chance that you are going to see your Fifty Fathoms walking down the street or in a restaurant/bar.

So, finally to all you fine forum members out there, wear your replicas in good health, and for whatever your reasons, I feel certain that you are as comfortable wearing them as I am.           

• Like 6

All of these fake watches and fake people have created and University for me. I would not know have the things I know now if it wasn't for all these fake watches no thanks to all the fake people that have shares all there journeys I have found a fake world full of greats. So sorry but there is no turning back. From one fake person to a real one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I guess I'm a fake guy because I took a rolex 1570 made out of parts gathered from here and there plus c/o/put it together, stuck it in an MBK case with aftmkt bezel kit, dial, hands, case tube, crystal, one of Mary's folded bracelets...and cranked out a 'fake vintage' watch that will run for a many years.  I can't help being a little bit proud of it even if it is a 'fake' because I put it together, know it inside and out, and can fix it if it breaks. 

So...when some dildo with shiny shoes and a new submarooner starts bragging about how great and expensive his watch is and spouts 'fake watches are for fake people', I have to wonder if characters like that ever learn anything about life or just slide in and out, always being a dildo.   :pimp:

"This one was $175 brand new."

...back when an RC and a Moon Pie was less than a quarter. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, automatico said:

...and cranked out a 'fake vintage' watch that will run for a many years.  I can't help being a little bit proud of it even if it is a 'fake' because I put it together, know it inside and out, and can fix it if it breaks. 

So...when some dildo with shiny shoes and a new submarooner starts bragging about how great and expensive his watch is and spouts 'fake watches are for fake people', I have to wonder if characters like that ever learn anything about life....

Great post! Made my day!

Ben Franklin said, " the worth of a man is not determined by what he has, but rather by who he is". So based on Ben's statement, real or fake, doesn't matter. The question is Who are You. lol

I concur on the above.

In today's world, people of high status or alike can be fake, having a
double face or simple a hypocritical personality & it aint d watch whether a gen or a replica.

"There are more than 1 road to Rome...."
  • Like 1