When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Changing mechanism from Miyota in chanel J12

kevnick80

Hi guys

May be a simple question to answer, but I am thinking about buying a chanel J12 from Lawrence with a Miyota movement.

First, how reliable are these? Will it actually last longer than a year or so?

Ans if I wanted to get the watch changed out to an automatic movement, can that be done easily or am I best splashiong out on a brand new watch?

Thanks

I have a few miyotas in watches reps and otherwise. I find them pretty reliable and yes it should be expected to last longer than a year, but nothing guaranteed in this game. The good news is that a replacement miyota movement is much cheaper than servicing a movement. In case of failure, buy a brand new movement, install and enjoy. Alternatively an ETA could be fitted. I don't have my little cheat book to hand, but I believe a 2873 is the same dimensions and importantly stem height as the miyota.

Thanks Sogeha, you are a star!!!

Lawrence also said the watch is availablle with an ETA 2824 and 2892 - so I am assuming these movements would be able to be switched out for the Miyota at a later date as i assume the stem height is still the same? Or would it be a different sized watch he would be using to house these movements?

As i said, this is all new to me so just thought I would check before taking the plunge...........

Has anyone seen the rep J12 Chromatic (the silver one) in real life and how does it compare to the original?

Thanks

I don't know if the ETA and miyota cases are the same, but definitely the movements do not have the same stem height. There are possible work a rounds for the more talented watch smiths, but I think most are compromises at best. Ideally stem height and case should be carefully matched. Also since stem height affects crown (or winder) height it can be a small tell if the crown is too high or too low on the case side.

Miyotas are tough workhorse movements with a bare minimum of finishing. 2824 is a work horse ETA movement and should last more than one lifetime with a little care and servicing now and then. The Chinese clone 2824 is a little less in quality of materials and finish, but still a very respectable movement. The 2892 is I think the movement in the genuine watch, so if it is in budget it may well be a very good idea to get that. However as @kernow Said a  Swiss movement in a rep watch is likely to be a used movement or two cobbled together with some Chinese parts. Better to go for an honest Chinese movement and maybe upgrade to a known quantity Swiss movement at a later date. I think I remember Ssteel fitted a 2892 in an omega rep with a Chinese 2824 for @kernow. There is some similarity in the two, but 2892 is a finer movement. 

Miyota movements are built by Citizen Watch Company and are rock solid, very reliable movements. I have never had a Miyota fail, nor have I ever known of one to fail barring mistreatment. The cost is low, but the quality is equal to anything Seiko makes and better than most Chinese movements.