When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6538 Build Progress

Limer

Hello Everybody! 

I just joined this Forum and came from RWI. I had a similar post over there but I want to be a part of this community as well so I am sharing it with you, too. 

It is my first attempt at modding a watch, let me know what you think about it. 

I started with a watch from m2m which was basically a Silix BC case, brevet crown, DG movement, stock plexi, mercedes hands from raffle. I don't know where the dial came from. I than read somewhere that you can make really nice vintage dials if you just grill it in the oven... It should be noted that I am really in to vintage watches and like it if the dial of a watch is quite aged and has a nice patina. Okey, so I disassembled the watch put the dial in the oven patiently waited besides it for about 10 minutes and nothing happened, so I went away for about 1 minute, came back and it looked like this: IMG_7329_zps2zuoz6n7.jpg

The watch simply looked like it was tied to an Afghanistan goats back for 30 years as someone at RWI said. And its true. It looked like a damaged watch. So I decided to further work on it. I got a raffles dial via m2m and while I was waiting for it I further worked on the case. I tried to do the chamfers and the general profile of the case:IMG_7323_zpsb0nc78qr.jpg

Even though I liked the case back than I still wasn't quite satisfied with the results. I really like fat chamfers like on the 6200 and actually saw a few 6538 with very wide chamfers. So much variation within those references... The case still didn't have the right look so I further modded it. By that time the raffles dial arrived and since the insert wasn't looking good I got another one that was slightly better. The hands were some I got from StoneP a few months back:

IMG_7382_zps8eiswmnk.jpgIMG_7381_zps0zyugovm.jpg

As mentioned above I liked well aged dials. That was the complete opposite of what I wanted so I tried to age the dial and hands further, give it a little texture and decided to cut wide chamfers like I wanted from the beginning. I also changed the crystal to a flatter one:

IMG_7465_zpsgf4c0qqy.jpg

IMG_7466_zps0ighvdud.jpg

I also grilled the bezel retaining ring to give it a more gen look and drilled the lug holes to 1.3mm if I remember correctly since the stock ones where to small.

IMG_6246_zpsnyf2rrna.jpeg

I couldn't find a white lollipop hand that would fit my movement so I painted mine white and aged it a little to match the dial and other hands:

IMG_7526_zpsynjr2qf1.jpg

After that the new insert arrived. I took of the lume pearl and aged it a tiny little bit, maybe I will do more on that. I also polished the chamfers a bit more:

IMG_6695_zpshjo4ecrb.jpg

IMG_6725_zpsayi2ijal.jpg

IMG_6726-1_zpszglmvbyb.jpg

Since the current crown sucks, I decided that I want to get the Athaya brevet crown. I dissembled the watch and drilled and tab the case. Sadly the tube broke when I wanted to screw of the crown, so I ordered a new one. Still have to wait for that one to arrive. I also got the Sternkreuz HW304 crystal. All parts are now waiting for the crown to arrive...

IMG_8163_zpsd0qkzvgy.jpg

IMG_8163_zpsd0qkzvgy.jpg

It should also be noted that the only tools I used for the case one was my hand drill, some sandpaper, a simple file and cape cod for the polish. Here is a picture of my little baby ;)

IMG_8176_zpstfv2pmkj.jpg

Sorry for the long read. Will keep you guys updated on the process. Let me know what you think! Looking forward to this community.

Cheers,
Limer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, droptopman said:

Great post. Like seeing how folks go about doing their builds. It is coming along nicely. Look forward to seeing the finished product. You will fit in great here. Lots of vintage builders here.
Good luck!

Thank you :D

What a great writeup!  I like how you added pictures and described what you did. 

There are a lot of very refined modders here that turn out ridiculously nice pieces.  You could reasonably compare their work to a museum quality watch in a high end collection.  Some are better than those in those collections. 

We also have the down-n-dirty modders (cough) and they do some fantastic work too.  Some tend toward the avante-gard (cough) using tools like acetylene torches and Land Rovers (cough cough) but the results are appealing, even though they come from the scorched earth end of the spectrum.

Looks like you're more of the scorched-earth type, and you'll find LOTS of guys here that think just like you.  So keep up the good work and keep the mods coming!  :tu:

8 minutes ago, Nanuq said:

What a great writeup!  I like how you added pictures and described what you did. 

There are a lot of very refined modders here that turn out ridiculously nice pieces.  You could reasonably compare their work to a museum quality watch in a high end collection.  Some are better than those in those collections. 

We also have the down-n-dirty modders (cough) and they do some fantastic work too.  Some tend toward the avante-gard (cough) using tools like acetylene torches and Land Rovers (cough cough) but the results are appealing, even though they come from the scorched earth end of the spectrum.

Looks like you're more of the scorched-earth type, and you'll find LOTS of guys here that think just like you.  So keep up the good work and keep the mods coming!  :tu:

Thanks! Maybe I will up my game a bit in the future and buy some actual equipment. Let's see. Appreciate your comment mate!

UPDATE: 

Since I am waiting for the crown to arrive, I finished my 1675. I still could not sit still so I tried a new method of polishing. I used different sand papers and polished with water. I just used cape cod for the last finish. Now it really has a good mirror finish and you could literally see me mirrored in the chamfers when I was taking the picture. Now I just have to be patient.... 

_MG_7231_zps4ktxvfrj.jpg_MG_7229_zpsztq8whzm.jpg_MG_7246_zpskz7m7ews.jpg

Edited by Limer
Typo
  • Like 5