When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex V6s on the bay 116610LV

irolexu

Neither am I, but I'm guessing the colour of the markings on the bezel insert and the hole in the centre of the hand pinion are at least two of the tells. Also I understand the rep hulk dial isn't quite the same as any genuine hulk and is more similar to the genuine black dial. That level of detail is still a little beyond me.

I am sure the seller acts in good faith. These watches pop up at reputed sellers again and again. A few month ago I saw a blatant copy of a Breitling Navitimer offered by a watch house in the with a long tradition in the UK. It was very obvious as the serial stated a gold watch and it was actually the SS model, almost a canal street quality rep. With so many watch models available, and so many things to look for I guess the watch traders are not anywhere near the expertise of these forums.

I can only imagine the fuzz and anger a buyer has when he finally finds out if he sends the watch to Rolex for servicing....  

On 2 September 2016 at 0:38 PM, sputim said:

Yes clearly a v6. The crystal cyclop ist the first and foremost giveaway and then the "GENE VA" on the clasp. What a sad person to try to burn somebody like that. However, buying watches from ebay if you are no expert is the worst thing to do haha.

No clasp photo, seller removed?

Also, is that a Yuki movement?

That ceramic insert is sitting too low in the bezel too.

Few years ago there was a story of rep Breitlings and Panerais being sold at Costco. The theory was that Costco bought them from a third party thinking they were Grey but still Gens.

You'd be daft to sell a Rolex on Ebay without appropriate papers.

It's a gen movement pictured, and it fits into a V6 case. Someone made a huge effort to pass it as a gen, probable sold it to the seller who is unaware of the true origin of it.. see that level of engravings.. the SELs engravings.. how can anyone not be fooled Among the public ?

The reason folks are fooled, are many faceted, but the overriding factors are complete lack of knowledge. Most folks have almost no knowledge about watches in general and even less about specific models. The knowledge level here is probably 1000 percent higher than the average watch buyer. The second factor especially on sites like EBay is a combination of greed and what I call "auction frenzy". People are blinded by the prospect of getting something for substantially less than the going price. Couple that with getting into a competitive bidding war possibly with shill bidders that keep raising bids, and the buyer completely loses any semblance of reason and control. Buyers who have little or no knowledge of the item, and are completely blinded by auction frenzy are like sheep being led to slaughter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1