When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serviced watch still stops unexpectedly

Timelord

Three months ago I had my eta 2836-2 serviced prematurely as it was unexpectedly stopping considering it is on my wrist for almost 20 hours daily.  After almost a week from getting it back, it stopped again - twice in one day.  

I took it back to watchmaker and after he checked it out and tested it on an automatic winder, called me to pick it  up claiming it was running perfectly,  Again, in the middle of 3 weeks, the same thing happened, which is what the problem was prior to service. This time it happened when I hung it up on a key ring holder to take a shower as I never shower with it.  It gets plenty of wrist time!!

I took it back again and this time he thoroughly checked out if there could be a problem with the reverser wheels playing up which was not the case.  The mainspring had been replaced at first service and he even looked at that. Yesterday after almost a month, the same thing happened.  I just cannot for the life of me work out what is the problem.  I am just sick of returning backwards and forwards to watchmaker who might think I am some kind of a nutcase as he cannot seem to see what I am on about.  It wasn't cheap either as he is quite in demand with over 40 years experience. Why am I writing??? Has anyone ever had any similar experience, I would appreciate any feedback as I am really clutching my straws.  With Endless THANKS!!!!

So when the watch stops is it because it needs winding? You can usually tell by the feel when you start winding. That and it starts again once you wind it. If that's the case and the watch has been serviced, I'd guess a bad bearing on the winding weight. Try sourcing a new one (should be cheap) and just swapping that out. I had an IWC 3717 that acted similar and swapped out the winding weight for a gen and the watch stays wound fully as long as I wear it. Made a huge difference

16 hours ago, imajedi said:

So when the watch stops is it because it needs winding? You can usually tell by the feel when you start winding. That and it starts again once you wind it. If that's the case and the watch has been serviced, I'd guess a bad bearing on the winding weight. Try sourcing a new one (should be cheap) and just swapping that out. I had an IWC 3717 that acted similar and swapped out the winding weight for a gen and the watch stays wound fully as long as I wear it. Made a huge difference

Thanks for your information.  We had wondered if there was something preventing it from winding properly, but when watchmaker first opened it, it was the first test he did and manually unwound the watch to release the power in the mainspring - and there was plenty there!!!

He thought that maybe there was not enough clearance between the hands and crystal which seems odd as it did not stop always with the same pattern.  He reminded me that these basterdised Match and mix watches that are not designed by the a particular company and  is like trying to make a well operating car by mixing car parts from ford, GM and Chrysler to make a compatible car

Are the hands touching/rubbing the dial or crystal?  Does it stop at the same time on the different occasions?  When it is running normally, does the watch keep good time or does it gain/loose time?  You could check for a loose cannon pinion where the watch would actually be running but the hands look like the watch is stopped.   These are just a few things I would check as a watchmaker.

On 10 September 2016 at 6:28 PM, Montre Swiss Watchmaker said:

Are the hands touching/rubbing the dial or crystal?  Does it stop at the same time on the different occasions?  When it is running normally, does the watch keep good time or does it gain/loose time?  You could check for a loose cannon pinion where the watch would actually be running but the hands look like the watch is stopped.   These are just a few things I would check as a watchmaker.

Hello

and thanks for your input!!!  Very valid points indeed. The hands are definitely not touching the dial but as for the crystal I cannot see any marks on it like rubbing and it was stopping at different times. When it did stop, it would run again after taking it out of my jacket pocket upon coming home as I would not leave a non working watch on my arm.  After service it picked up 2 or 3 seconds max per day which I was more than happy with!  Wished my genuine model ran this way! Interestingly, before service I had this movement in a different case (Tudor case) it stopped at exactly 9.27 and 33 seconds which was exactly the same time that it stopped in this different case AFter  service :bangin:My watchmaker still argues that it is the casing not being made for these movements and one will always expect such problems.  Maybe the case was made for an eta 2824 in place of a 2836 as it is slightly thicker and any use of the stem could make it go funny!!! Brainstorming!!'!!! Brainstorming!!!

Hello

and thanks for your input!!!  Very valid points indeed. The hands are definitely not touching the dial but as for the crystal I cannot see any marks on it like rubbing and it was stopping at different times. When it did stop, it would run again after taking it out of my jacket pocket upon coming home as I would not leave a non working watch on my arm.  After service it picked up 2 or 3 seconds max per day which I was more than happy with!  Wished my genuine model ran this way! Interestingly, before service I had this movement in a different case (Tudor case) it stopped at exactly 9.27 and 33 seconds which was exactly the same time that it stopped in this different case AFter  service :bangin:My watchmaker still argues that it is the casing not being made for these movements and one will always expect such problems.  Maybe the case was made for an eta 2824 in place of a 2836 as it is slightly thicker and any use of the stem could make it go funny!!! Brainstorming!!'!!! Brainstorming!!!

Something is rubbing for sure.

On 13 September 2016 at 6:53 AM, imajedi said:

Something is rubbing for sure.

Well the glass clears it well and the same happened when the movement and dial was in another case with a higher crystal.  This was just before it was serviced!!!

in fact, it was the very reason that I got it serviced, because it stopped when you least expected it!!!