When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This just arrived: 5513, help me build a beauty!

swdivad

Hi guys...

I just took delivery from an awesome seller in Oz... my first rolex in decades, it feels **really** small, but the seller assures it will grow on me...

I want to use this as a project to be as perfect as possible; starting with a few simple things like getting rid of the spelling error, then case shaping and eventually even adding a gen movement down the track if possible or worth doing.

I think I'll start with the bezel and dial:

The seller suggested this for the bezel, which I think looks ok and not so expensive in the grand scheme of things:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-ACRYLIC-PEARL-1680-5512-5513-7928-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-TUDOR-VINTAGE-/322250920929?hash=item4b07a6d3e1:g:H0YAAOSwBLlVc4ZE

Then, I'm thinking a yuki gilt... either
http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/8677972/9988313.htm
or
http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/8677972/9636999.htm

Any suggestions to make me love this project?

IMG_4320_.JPGIMG_4321_.JPG

Spelling error might refer to newer Cartel case that says "staileless steel" between lugs.  That means this is a fairly new 5513 build.  Maybe I'm wrong as the cg's look too thick.   So did the older cartel 5513 also have the spelling error?

I have one too and still getting parts.  The biggest problem is you have to buy a new bezel assembly because the cartel one has correct case neck, but then the bezel and/insert are not to spec so they glue the insert instead of pressure fit.   The glued inserts fall off in water.

So I love the case, but you spend more money on bezel assembly than the 2813 version of the whole watch!

Edited by RickFlorida
  • Like 1

wow! thanks for all the responses!

It seems that there is much more interest in Rolex here than other brands... that's a good start to my quest :-)

Yes, this is a new PC version and the spelling is STAILESS STEEL. How they could let that continue to happen is amazing to me. That's an easy fix, but they leave it SMH

I am not seeing any 'spelling error', but I would replace the dial & reshape the CGs. Other than that, what is your goal (tool watch, safe queen, used/abused, etc) & how deep are your pockets?

I have the STAILESS STEEL error....

My goal is to have a daily beater that looks great and the hands rotate the correct direction when setting the time.

I have a dremel set that I've never used, not sure if I should attempt CG & case mods... this seems to be something that only an artist could be successful at!

Yes it did. Also, the new cartel case with the better crown guards is actually a 1665 case without the faux He valve. So a bit chunkier than 5513 should be.

This seems like thinning the case would be a very difficult modification :-S

And by thick of case, you mean height of case body is a bit thick if you look at profile view?    Checking in case I try to mod my newer Cartel 5513.

Seems like thinning the case would be a very difficult modification :-S

Yes, the body of the case is slightly thicker than is should be. But it's the curvature of the lugs that need a little work.

Here's a thread I started about modding the Cartel 5513 you might find useful:

• Like 1