When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW Daytona 6239

djulink

Hi gents,

As some of you know, I've been hunting for one of those for a bit of time now and just wanted to share excitement and rejoice with you

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

Just received this baby today ; the previous owner had a 700 Athaya crown and tube installed.

Do you think/know if the tube will fit a proper 600 crown ?

Edited by djulink
  • Like 1

Ditto Alligoat's comments. The 6mm Twinlock crown users a smaller diameter tube, but the hole in the case should be the same diameter/thread pitch for either tube. That said, many rep & aftermarket cases have poorly or incorrectly tapped case holes (for both the crown & pushers). So be careful when fitting a new tube & be prepared to have to re-tap the hole to make a gen tube fit without cross-threading (most of the watchmaker supply houses sell tap sets for Rolex crowns & pushers).

& nice watch!

I think the Athaya 700/702 tube now uses the same thread as a gen spec 7030 tube.  The only thing I can think of, right off, is that if the tube has been "sunk" into the case fairly deep then the 6020 tube might not stick out far enough and you might nee do screw it in to the proper length with epoxy instead of Loc-Tite.  You won't know until you try it and see...

Thanks Gents for your answers,

Two more questions : 

- the watch and chrono function are running fine, but movement is a bit "speedy" (I'd say 30sec+/d) ; is there an "easy" way to settle it or does that mean service ?
("easy" : I've a little experience in setting my 6538 and my 6200 - DG2813 and ETA2824 - but apart from those I don't know how to work with the one inside that watch - it seems to be one of the "mystery movement" DW series, i.e. the seller original sale thread @ RG and RWI - eventhough I was able to unscrew the case-back yesterday)

- as you can notice, middle-case is a bit larger than the bezel on the crown and pushers side, even though bezel is perfectly aligned with the dial; is it expected with that kind of Daytona's ?

As always, thanks in advance for your tips and knowledge sharing

Edited by djulink

The later 6239s from Rolex also had that bulge, the first series didn't. With the DW mystery movement you probably need a service, or maybe you could get by with dipping the hairspring in some cleaning solution. My watchmaker did that on a V72 of mine and bought me a little time before I had to service it. Mystery movements are probably 8-12 years old by themselves and that means time for a service anyway.

- the watch and chrono function are running fine, but movement is a bit "speedy" (I'd say 30sec+/d) ; is there an "easy" way to settle it or does that mean service ?

("easy" : I've a little experience in setting my 6538 and my 6200 - DG2813 and ETA2824 - but apart from those I don't know how to work with the one inside that watch - it seems to be one of the "mystery movement" DW series, i.e. the seller original sale thread @ RG and RWI - eventhough I was able to unscrew the case-back yesterday)

With the caseback removed, looking at the area of the balance wheel, you should see a piece that sticks out like this -

Image1_zpsijv4yon6.jpg

To reduce the speed of the movement (slow the watch), use a toothpick (assuming you lack a proper tool) to gently & ever so slightly nudge the piece slightly closer to the other piece where the hairspring terminates. Again, just a wee bit as this adjustment can make a huge difference. It is very easy to go too far & end up with a watch running too slow or slip & damage the hairspring or another component. So be careful! Then, fully wind the watch, set it to a computer or other accurate time-keeper & wear it for 24 hours. After 24 hours, compare the difference in seconds with the computer clock & readjust that sliding piece until you are within about 5-10 secs/day.

Good luck.

Freddy, that's perfect !

Thanks a Bunch !

Here's with the case-back open :

0194c2881d819cb3506685b7b002c157ea61b2dec6.jpg

From what I saw, it's not that much different than a sub movement, the time settings I mean... So from your pic that would be the one on the right wich is nearly horizontal?

Edited by djulink

From what I saw, it's not that much different than a sub movement, the time settings I mean... So from your pic that would be the one on the right wich is nearly horizontal?

Yes. On many movements, the timing adjustment piece has 2 tiny dots on it, which are the ends of the pins that run down along each side of the hairspring (the other piece to its left is where the hairspring terminates & it sets the beat - do not move it!) & increase/decrease the 'spring's effective length - slowing/increasing the balance, which slows/increases the speed of the movement.

Well I really don't know much about those movements as I'm not familiar with them ; here, what is supposed to be the old thread : 

Old sale thread - http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?257893-FS-DW-ROLEX-6239-With-mystery-movement

but I don't have access to it (not enough post @ RG)...

You haven't missed much, I just had a look and it turned out to be a 7750 not a mystery movement.

Yes, actually I read a little bit further the original seller RWI thread and the movement was indicated as a7750…. just below the line where the reference to the mystery movement topic was pointed out…  my bad.

I don't even know the difference between the mystery and the a7750 movements but I think I read here and there that there are deeper case-back for the DW case allowing to adapt to the different movement calibers

Well a 7750 always has the wrong subdial spacing for a Daytona. I know there are two types of DW dials, one has correct spacing and is rather good, the other is for 7750. I always assumed the mystery movement was so called because nobody ever worked out what it was. The whole DW thing happened before I was really serious about reps, so like you I'm trying to piece it together after the events.

So, is there any other movement that a dial made for v72 will fit (besides v72 or v23)?

i think they probably fit the venus clones that cartels use but I am not 100 pct sure

V72 and MM have the same subdial spacing but different feet position.

So, is there any other movement that a dial made for v72 will fit (besides v72 or v23)?

i think they probably fit the venus clones that cartels use but I am not 100 pct sure

Have a look here about Carte ST19 daytona: